ietf-nntp Backfill

Chris Newman Chris.Newman at INNOSOFT.COM
Tue Dec 17 12:23:10 PST 1996

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Brian Kantor wrote:
> Is it the intention of this committee to make RFC977bis a complete
> specification for the Usenet news system?
>
> It seems that many of the discussions on here of late have focussed on
> the underlying news storage and retrieval system, not on issues of
> transport, which is the scope of the original RFC977.
>
> I believe it is time to split the transfer, storage, and reading issues.

It is important to specify the semantics of the data "transferred"
sufficiently that it is interoperable.  I think the discussion of backfill
and the interoperability problems it causes protocol clients is well within
scope.  We do need to specify what happens in storage to the extent that
it impacts protocol interoperability.