ietf-nntp My notes from the NNTP WG meeting at the 37th IETF

Chris Newman Chris.Newman at INNOSOFT.COM
Tue Dec 17 12:08:56 PST 1996

> From: Stan Barber <sob at owlman.academ.com>
> It was decided to remove AUTHINFO GENERIC and replace it with AUTHINFO
> USER/PASS.

There is a short unwritten list of things which all IETF protocols need to
address before they go standards track.  The three items which I know
belong in the list are:
  * Strong Authentication
  * Extension Mechanism
  * Internationalization (just use ISO-8859-1 doesn't count)

Fixing these problems are things which really should be done in the
base document, IMHO.  I suspect the area directors would agree.  So
removing "AUTHINFO GENERIC" from the base spec isn't an option (although
I'd support replacing AUTHINFO SIMPLE with AUTHINFO USER/PASS).

In addition, I think this group needs to face the i18n problem and solve
it, as painful as that may be.