ietf-nntp My notes from the NNTP WG meeting at the 37th IETF

Chris Lewis clewis at nortel.ca
Tue Dec 17 07:30:00 PST 1996

In message "ietf-nntp My notes from the NNTP WG meeting at the 37th IETF",
'sob at owlman.academ.com' writes:

>It was decided to remove AUTHINFO GENERIC and replace it with AUTHINFO
>USER/PASS.

I think you typoed.  I think you meant to say "remove AUTHINFO SIMPLE" and
replace it with AUTHINFO USER/PASS.  The latter is in use.  I don't think
the former is.

>However, this was also a suggetion to combined the two and that
>AUTHINFO USER/PASS would imply AUTHINFO GENERIC SIMPLE. We decided to
>discuss this further on the mailing list.

I'll note that the AUTHINFO GENERIC browser end implementation can
transparently cope with servers that do only AUTHINFO USER/PASS or
SIMPLE.
--
Chris Lewis, Senior Network Security Analyst, Nortel.
clewis at nortel.ca; Dept 4C16, Ottawa, Canada.  (613) 763-2935.