ietf-nntp Backfill

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Mon Dec 16 21:13:23 PST 1996

I agree with Nat. I got the impression that most folks were basically surprised
by the issue of backfill. Erik himself said that it was always understood that
article numbers were monotonically increasing.

Unless there is a strong desire to support backfilling explicitly, I think
the new document should state that articles numbers are monitonically
increasing and that backfilling is not supported.  It certainly makes
server and client implementation simpler (I think).

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.