ietf-nntp My notes from the NNTP WG meeting at the 37th IETF

Nat Ballou NatBa at MICROSOFT.com
Mon Dec 16 10:36:31 PST 1996

> From: Stan Barber <sob at owlman.academ.com>
> To: ietf-nntp at academ.com
> Subject: ietf-nntp My notes from the NNTP WG meeting at the 37th IETF
> Date: Saturday, December 14, 1996 1:53 PM
>
> [...]
>
> It was decided to remove AUTHINFO GENERIC and replace it with AUTHINFO
> USER/PASS.

I thought we agreed that AUTHINFO USER/PASS would replace AUTHINFO SIMPLE
in the current draft.  AUTHINFO GENERIC would remain for additional
authentication methods.

> However, this was also a suggetion to combined the two and
> that AUTHINFO USER/PASS would imply AUTHINFO GENERIC SIMPLE. We decided
> discuss this further on the mailing list.

The proposal was to also allow clear text authentication with both
AUTHINFO USER/PASS and AUTHINFO GENERIC SIMPLE.  My only comments on this
is that clients will have to be smart enough to use AUTHINFO USER/PASS
when a server does not support AUTHINFO GENERIC SIMPLE for legacy reasons.

Nat Ballou
Microsoft