ietf-nntp My notes from the NNTP WG meeting at the 37th IETF

Rich Salz rsalz at osf.org
Sun Dec 15 18:51:09 PST 1996

>So far we've heard from the client authors; what about the server authors ?

I'm fairly sure that I already sent this to the list:
	Article numbers are a unique resources that should not be
	re-used without a "change in epoch" and out-of-band synchronization
	between server and clients.

The rules of current practice are fairly simple:  article numbers are
monotonically increasing, articles may disappear, and therefore the high
and low water marks returned in a GROUP command should be treated as
maximum minima, and minimum maxima, respectively.
	/r$