ietf-nntp Comments on "NNTP LIST additions"

David Johnson (Exchange) djohnson at Exchange.Microsoft.com
Thu Dec 12 17:03:37 PST 1996

> ----------
> From:
> owner-ietf-nntp at academ.com[SMTP:owner-ietf-nntp at academ.com] on behalf
> of Brian Hernacki[SMTP:bhern at netscape.com]
>
> As for charset, I was trying to leave it open enough that people could
> use it as they saw fit, but I see your point. I will try to clarify
> that. Suggestions (from anyone) are welcome.

I recommend staying away from MIME-2 encoding and using UTF-7 or 8
instead. UTF-8 is being used in IMAP, ACAP, LDAP, and other protocols.
We should stay away from Euro-centric models or the complexity of
allowing any character set and follow suit with these other protocols.

- david
David C. Johnson   <djohnson at microsoft.com>
Program Manager -- Microsoft Exchange
Microsoft Corporation