ietf-nntp Comments on "NNTP LIST additions"

Brian Hernacki bhern at netscape.com
Wed Dec 11 09:22:52 PST 1996

Rich Salz wrote:

> 3.3, 3.4:  Why "listsubscr" and "listpnames"?  Why not use the long form
> that is used in the command itself "LISTSUBSCRIPTIONS" and "LISTPRETTYNAMES"
> I don't see a need to be terse and introduce aliases.

In the NNTP revision draft that specifies LIST EXTENSIONS, there is (or
was) a length limit on extension names. Originally, I did have the names
you suggested, but cut them down to fit the draft.

> 4.1:  I think 977 uses the term "multi-line text response" which is
> how the data is returned.  "May be multiline" is misleading -- even if
> it's one line, it is a mltr :)

Good point. I'll change it.

> 4.7:  I think DISPLAYNAMES is marginally better (less judgemental :)
> than PRETTYNAMES, but that's a nit.  How is the codeset identified
> even if its an 8bit charset, e.g., the different european variants?
> Should it also follow the =?8890?= encoding rules?

I forget exactly how that arrived, but people just started calling them
PRETTYNAMES and the term stuck. If anyone has a real problem with the
term, I'm not that attached to it.

As for charset, I was trying to leave it open enough that people could
use it as they saw fit, but I see your point. I will try to clarify
that. Suggestions (from anyone) are welcome.

> I think there should be a short explanation of why this command is
> needed in addition to XGTITLE.

I'll add that.

--brian