ietf-nntp AUTHINFO GENERIC (no args) proposal

Brian Hernacki bhern at netscape.com
Tue Dec 10 20:26:00 PST 1996

Nat Ballou wrote:
> Actually, it's supported by the Microsoft News Server (you can download
> it from www.microsoft.com) and is the preferred way for clients to
> negotiate
> authentication packages.
>
> Is that sufficient for this to be added to the draft?

That would be something we would need to decide at the IETF
meetings...what exactly defines an "existing/de-facto standard". My
first intuition is that there will be some requirement about use in
shipping products...maybe a minimum number of implementations.

On the other hand, I like the idea of being able to list the auth
packages supported, but I think it would make an excellant extension via
the new LIST EXTENSIONS method.

-brian