ietf-nntp Use of the LISTGROUP command

Rich Salz rsalz at osf.org
Tue Dec 10 11:01:16 PST 1996

>This seems like a pretty weak reason to add the LISTGROUP
>command to the draft - especially if the newsreader has a
>workaround for when the command does not exist.  We're going
>to be here forever if we allow clients to decide which commands
>get put in the draft.  Could we remove this command from the
>draft?

I said why it was originally added -- for nn.  According to my RCS
log it was added in 1991 before the first public release of INN.

I am sure many other clients have since started using it for their
own reasons.

And yes, clients get a big voice in deciding what goes into NNTP,
else what's the point?
	/r$