ietf-nntp AUTHINFO GENERIC (no args) proposal

Nat Ballou NatBa at MICROSOFT.com
Tue Dec 10 10:33:46 PST 1996

One of the things put forward by the referenced Myers draft is
a blank auth command that returns a successful response listing
the supported authentication packages.

I know that the new NNTP draft has capabilities, but it seems
simpler for a client that is capable of negotiating authentication
packages to send an AUTHINFO GENERIC (no args) command to get
the list of authentication packages independent of all of the
other capabilities supported by the NNTP server.

A sample would be:

C: AUTHINFO GENERIC
S: 281 List follows
S: KERBEROS_V4
S: GSSAPI
S: .

Note that each package is separated by a CR/LF and the list is
terminated with a '.' - as in Myers draft.

I would like this added to the draft.

Comments?

Nat