ietf-nntp Problems with this list

Michael Handler handler at netaxs.com
Fri Aug 23 23:04:27 PDT 1996

On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Stan Barber wrote:

> Anyway, this is NOT generated by academ.com. I am going to try to contact
> someone at Netscape about this. Please bear with me while this gets resolved.
>
> Note: you may see this on other lists as well. I have seen  it on the
> mbone and nanog lists, too.

Already done. I've reached the proper admin at Netscape, and the
repeat messages should have already stopped.

-- FORWARD --
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 21:50:21 -0700
From: Sarah Clatterbuck <sclatter at netscape.com>
To: Michael Handler <handler at netaxs.com>
Cc: bill at netscape.com, rodb at netscape.com, dmose at netscape.com
Subject: Re: ietf-nntp FAQ Extension to NNTP (fwd)

>The mail to news gateways at NETSCAPE.COM or MCOM.COM are
>misconfigured, and are resending all arriving messages back to the
>list reflector, causing the messages to be repeated. I've seen this
>behabvior on ietf-nntp, nanog, and nntp-extensions. Please stop the
>mail loop ASAP.

Sorry, that would be me.

An error with our mail server caused a great deal of mail to be
bounced to me.  The majority of this mail is messages sent from
customers to our newsgroups where it is processed.  I have been
attempting to repost this mail to our server, but obviously I
have inadvertently resent a number of messages to external
mailing lists as well.

I am about 1/3 through the backlog now.  I will attempt to filter the
remaining messages for destinations that are outside of the company.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Sarah
-- FORWARD --

--