ietf-nntp re: batch, streaming, Adding extensions?

Stan Barber sob at academ.com
Tue Aug 13 11:37:28 PDT 1996

>   Actually, ISC is now the maintainer of the INN program. When 1.5 comes out
>   with the additions of this functionality, that will meet my criteria for
>   being in a standard release.
>
> Does anything in Wayne's "nntp1.5tXXX" release count?

No, it does not meet my critera.

> unoff means nothing other than:  Rich Salz had nothing to do with this
> verison.

So, it does not meet my criteria.

Remember, this is my criteria that we are discussing here. After the draft is
released, folks are welcome to comment on it. If they don't like my criteria
for what is in or not in that document, they are welcome to suggest changes
to the draft that will liberalize or make more restrictive what is considered
part of the basic functionality of NNTP. Alternatively, they can write
drafts for extensions to NNTP under the new extension mechanism to add
whatever functions they like. Some of those may become standard extensions,
others may not. That's part of the process.

However, in the process, we get some useful documentation of these extensions.
That has not be the case in the past and strikes me as a big benefit of this
process.

Stan   | Academ Consulting Services        |internet: sob at academ.com
Olan   | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Barber | URL- http://www.academ.com/academ |Opinions expressed are only mine.