SG: WCD #46: Meditations On A Void (Part Two of Three)

Frobozz frobozz at eyrie.org
Fri Feb 8 07:10:49 PST 2008

Spectrum nodded to the guards outside his sleeping quarters.  He didn't
chafe at all at their presence; he'd seen guards onboard ships to keep
women's quarters off limits to other crew-men.  They nodded back and
stepped aside efficiently and quietly. He tapped on the door and then
walked in. "Hey Foxy, I'm back... um... Foxy?"

Somehow, she had managed to make the room lights dim, and candles were all
around the room.  Adding to the ambiance, a smooth jazz song was softly
coming through the room's music system.  In one hand, Foxy held his
bathrobe, and in the other a bottle of massage oil.

"Hey sailor..."  Foxy purred, batting her eyes at him.  Scattered on the
floor were red rose petals, no, small red paper hearts she'd apparently
cut up and sprinkled everywhere.
Gone was the black leather outfit and boots, in its place was nothing but
a gauzy white teddy which did little to hide her furry body.

"Wow. You look...wow...!  Honey, look, if this is because of the whole
scene with the Captain, don't worry; I told them I would talk to you and
we would..." He stopped, as she placed a finger on his lips, and then
replaced that with her own lips.  Her tongue danced a tango with his, and
then she pulled back.

"Lawrence, I've decided I don't care what happens, as long as we are
together.  They can lock us both in this cabin for the rest of the mission
if that makes them happy.  I just want to be with you.  I don't want to
deal with aliens or super villains or Amway salesmen. All I want is you.
I'd be perfectly happy if we quit being superheroes. I just want to be
with you."  She stroked his arm, unbuttoned his shirt, and leaned into his
chest, breathing deeply. "I -want-."

Her hands pulled at his clothes, clumsily, but with a sense of growing
urgency.  He felt the emotions wash over him, like a warm bath.  He
relaxed and followed her to their bunk.  I'm the luckiest guy in the
world, he thought.  No matter what will befall them planetside, we'll
always have this moment.

Outside their cabin, the troopers wobbled.  "Command, we have a code pink,
I repeat code pink. Request permission to retreat to safe distance."

"Affirmative.  Silent alert sounded for ship's region.  You are authorized
to clear area. Do you need anything?"

"Negative, just maybe can we get the relief watch down here to spell us a
while.  I need a cigarette..."

***

After Clark had left and the last of a secret flask of scotch had been
consumed, Tonk set about typing up some notes and reviewing updates from
the bridge. Finally, she stretched out in the captain's bunk -- which,
despite the fancy name, was hardly much larger than a regular crewman's
bed.  Just like the rest of the cabin it was a workspace and nothing in
the room was overtly elegant, other than a well-secured and formerly
well-stocked bar.  Curse the damn snakes.

There was a quiet tap at the door, and Tonk permitted herself a momentary
image of blowing a hole through the door to discourage visitors.  Looking
at the ships clock, she reconsidered.  This appointment was pre-arranged.

The door opened a crack and Dr Sloan regarded Captain Tonk with a grave
expression.
"Come in, Doctor, come in!" Tonk waved airily, and casually walked to the
bar.

"Captain, the answer is still no! You can't demand this."

"I don't recall demanding anything."

"You sent me a message and asked that Victoria be assigned to work with
Foxy."

"Ah, and,
ۉ
˜asking is just polite demanding'- Edison Carter."

"Max Headroom."

"...same difference then..."

"You know how I feel about this situation with Miss Queen, and I do not
think she should have to subject herself to this."  Dr. Sloan crossed his
arms. "Its been traumatic enough for her to come to grips with her powers,
and to now have to risk revealing herself as a psi to the crew..."

"And while you are the ship's doctor, and I rarely if ever disagree with
you, I remain the captain and I have the lives of my entire crew to think
of.  I don't take these things lightly, and this is a combat emergency
decision that puts more than all of us in the expendable column."

"I will have to go on record as stating that I did not recommend or
support this."  Dr. Sloan muttered. "This is an extremely dangerous
gambit." He looked up at the Captain. "Tonk, if there was any other way I
would lock her in a life pod, and dump her on the nearest habitable
planet."

"Which, Foxy or Victoria?"

Dr. Sloan allowed a flicker of a grin, and then nodded understandingly.
"Both... or perhaps neither.  Maybe we're both wrong about this and it
won't make a difference revealing Victoria's secret. I understand that you
have damn few options left and with us only a day or so from landfall we
have to do what we can with what resources we have left."

***

British Airwave stood in the crews lounge.  A cook rummaged back and forth
along the bar, quietly cleaning the counter and refilling snack bowls.
The digital clock on the wall politely suggested it was 3am earth time.
It was almost time for action, and as was his habit from the early days of
the war until now, he slept short dreamless naps, woke up and wandered a
bit, then napped again.  In the libraries of his mind, the assistants were
busy sorting the card catalogs.   In more modern terms his mind was
defragging and rebooting before the big LAN party.

One last big party... he mused.  He glanced at the star field on the
screen, pondering its distant majesty, and watched as a comet whizzed by,
then the stars panned and tilted as the earth hove into view.

"It's just a recording."  The Nikon Ninja said softly, as he walked into
the room.  "The recordings are from earlier flights and segments when they
weren't in Gild-space.  Otherwise it would be just a bunch of grey
grayness accented with grey."  He walked to the counter and whispered an
order for a slice of pizza and a root beer.  After being informed that all
beverages possessing any alcohol content had been drained, he reselected a
Dr. Pepper and swiveled in his stool.  "Can't sleep either?"

"Not really lad."  Randall noticed a brief flicker of annoyance at the
name, and then it was accepted and ignored.  "I just need time to think
about things before the battle and it was quiet enough here."

"Yeah I guess it's fairly quiet everywhere; being away from all the radio
noise on earth... so, you're gonna be stuck in C&C during the fight, eh?"

"Yes, and I daresay you and I have had this same chat as to my place in
things, back at the hotel in England, eh?"  British Airwave turned his
back to regard the starfield again.

"MMmmmkay...   Look I wasn't trying to twist the knife with you.  I was
just making conversation.  By the way, I hope you don't mind if I record
the battle down there, it might have some useful bits I can pass on to my
editor.  And that's of course with your permission..."

Randall sighed and waved his hand dismissively. "Let us let that matter
rest for now.  I have no problem as long as Spectrum gives you
authorization.  Your recordings may have historic significance someday.
By all means record all you can."

"Hey, are you okay?" Parker Peterson queried with concern in his voice.
"What's got you so aggro'd?"

"...aggro'd? I beg your pardon?"

"Upset, irritated, panties in a bunch, Metamucil in your milkshake,
whatever expression you guys use..."

"Ah.
€
˜You guys' As in
ۉ
˜you old guys', eh?  I daresay you hit the target there spot on."

He paused again, regarding the stars silently, and then faced Parker who
was patiently munching on his slice of pizza.

"What has me upset is that I have to accept that this is no longer my time
or place.  I am long past my prime.  I am an anachronism, one of the old
team of heroes that refuses to quietly slip away in a rest home somewhere.
My mind is still sharp.  My spirit is willing, but my flesh is weak, and
getting weaker and more of a stranger to me every day."

"Well, you beat me in a fight..." Parker offered hopefully.

"Indeed." Randall snapped, "Which begs the question of your fighting
abilities."

"Hey!"

"Let's be frank.  I won, only because I was prepared. I knew what to
expect with you, I had pre-planted transmitters in key locations, and I
had the element of surprise.  I had a plan. My intention was not to harm
you, but to merely take you down a peg or two.  To humble you a bit and
make you think about your actions before acting."

"If I had my dord, it would have been different..."

"Would it now?  Perhaps.  Fortunately for you and the hotel rooms, you did
not think to summon it.  If your life was truly in danger, you should not
have hesitated to use all weapons available.  But again, you were
reacting, not acting, and proved my point with your defeat."

"If I wanted a helping of verbal abuse, I would go find Thor."  Nikon
Ninja stood. "Sorry to disturb you, I guess I better go to bed like a good
little boy."

"Wait..."  British Airwave gestured.  "Please; I'm sorry.  You have great
potential, young man, and if you can develop beyond the single synapse
mode of combat you will become a mighty hero.  I just wanted to help you
avoid a few pitfalls along the way. Forgive an old man and his temper.  I
should know better than to complain about my lot.  I've been lucky enough
to be involved in so many great adventures in my life.  How often does
someone have the chance to directly affect the course of history? Not only
in the world around you, but to actually have a hand setting in motion
events that fundamentally change who you and others around you are, and
who they become.?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Perhaps you will get *that* scoop, when you are older, and I am dead.
Few men get to save the world even once.  Three times?  Past, present, and
future? There is something to lift a pint to." He smiled and winked at
Parker, slapped his leg to accentuate the point.  He then sighed,
returning his gaze to the view screen. "I am old. And my hair is getting
white..."

"Well, g'night then, see you in the morning, try not to stand on your head
too much tonight."  Parker grinned and strolled out.

"Hummph."   Looking out at the blackness, he muttered aloud. "I miss the
old days.  I miss my friends.  My school chums who would drop what they
were doing for a quick game and a laugh, or a prank, or a pint down at the
fraternity, or as my Lithuanian girlfriend Yvonne called it, the
'sskyrius-namas' to poke fun at each other.  Seems nobody is left.  They
have all moved on, passed on, or forgotten about me."

He leaned against the bulkhead, and from the depths of space, he heard a
static-filled sound.  Straining his ears, he listened, puzzled.

...boxcar. If she is kelp prawns, must hew then I smash TV joyously
sleeping known not to the smash microvave. Then suddenly the door opened
and rutabagas dancing zip-file parts construct.  If this is right for you,
call doctor, yob yob yoi helicoptors babbling outward into cheese entrails
no exit but I must ask auspiciously dunning tankersly. The farmer of the
Dale buys loot hora billinicken. Mythic burns Gary grunion all gone.  Shat
from Shinarolem. Your tools incongruously wobbled peacefully. Schoolhouse
rocky flats quotes true, yet Quezacotle peramutter stanchion release...

Randall shook his head. "Some radio station transmission must have
scrambled in the ionosphere, warped through space, and drifted out here
now that we're shifting back from Gild-space. How odd-- and yet..."

The British Airwave sighed, shook his head, and walked back to his cabin,
resigned to leave tomorrows worries for another day, and to get back to
thinking about the tasks at hand. He stopped and swallowed another pill,
ruefully counting the pair remaining, while pondering his own life's
riddle. "Bugger. If no one asks me, I'll know; but if any one should
require me to tell him, I cannot.  Roger Murtaugh was right, all along."

***

Concluded in Part Three.