SG: WCD 45 Desperado Kick Part Four, Yeah. Right.

Lawrence Brown lbrown at tcfbank.com
Wed Nov 8 12:12:53 PST 2006

PUBLISHERS NOTE:  THERE ARE FIVE POSTING SO FAR.  THIS IS THE FIFTH.

EVEN THOUGH IT'S THE FOURTH.   OR SOMETHING.  WE SACKED THE

EDITORS AND THEY LEFT A MESS.   SORRY.

Silence reigned on the bridge. Even though the room was sound-proofed,

no one could shake the feeling that they wouldn't be noticed if they

just kept perfectly still. Perhaps it was the bridge crews' inner

door-mice coming to the fore while being stalked by snakes. Whatever

makeshift barricades could be set up had been, and crew-members crouched

behind chairs and consoles, guns pointed towards the doorway. All save

one brave crew-member, who stayed at his console to relay messages and

keep on top of the situation as best he could.

"There's fighting going on all over the ship," Sparks whispered to the

rest of the bridge crew. "It's spreading out fast... faster than it should."

"Mrf?" asked Tonk.

"Ma'am, if you keep sucking on the rags, then they won't have enough

alcohol in them and the cocktails won't work right."

"Wrf... ptah," said Tonk, spitting the rag out of her mouth. "Well if I

don't keep sucking on the rags, then _I_ won't have enough alcohol in me

and _I_ won't work right."

Sparks sighed, changing the subject. There would be no profit in

pursuing this line of reasoning "It's weird. Except for certain

assaults, like on the engine room, it looks like the Nintan are doing

their best to get everywhere at once. That's opening up some tactical

holes that I'm trying to exploit. Though why the Hell(tm) they're doing

this in the first place is beyond me."

"Maybe they're searching for something," suggested one of the bridge

crew's junior members.

"Like what?" Tonk asked, dryly. "Maybe it'll turn out that Trap-Door

Spider Man is actually the princess of a dinosaur version of our Earth

that got split into two years ago when a giant meteor hit the planet,

and they're trying to whisk him back to their world so they can prepare

an invasion of ours using head-shrunk dissidents as their shock troops?"

"...well, maybe not that exact scenario, ma'am..."

"You're a mean sober, captain," said Sparks, rerouting a clutch of

troopers that had just managed to free themselves from a fire-fight.

"Looks like we may have inbound to the bridge. ETA twenty minutes."

"Twenty minutes? That seems a little long."

"They're slitherers, captain. They could really use a rocket-propelled

skateboard or something to get around faster."

"Right. You heard the man," called out Tonk. "Arm up, and take your

positions. Get yourselves ready to eat some snake!"

***

Rebecca Kendricks shook her head to try and clear it. Her hair yanked

with a dull pain against her skull, and she realized the blood was

sticking her head in place. She moved her arms and legs, and found that

while she could feel everything, only her left arm was free to move.

Everything else was pinned by the debris that had her forced against the

wall. Switching to broadcast frequency, Kendrics winced at the sudden

noise and static. And the low murmur of someone mumbling to themselves.

"Yep, you gotta make sure to keep the frying pan very hot, so use peanut

oil because it doesn't scorch..."

She keyed her commlink as she identified that voice. "Tommy can you hear

me?"

Tommy paused in mid-mutter. "Peanut oil, man... Kendricks is that you,

man? Ow oh wow dude, major bummer. At least you finally woke up to join

the party. If you are making stir-fry for a party man you need two pans

to make sure you have enough to feed the guests."

"Tommy! Where's Dave?"

"Dave?"

"Yes, Dave. Our wing-man. We'd just sealed off that doorway and then the

ship landed on us. On my head it feels like."

"Dave? Dave's not here man."

"What?"

"Insta-pinata-porridge-meat-pudding, man. He saw the scene coming down

and shoved us both clear. Or at least sorta clear. I'm still buried, but

like I aint dead yet. There is a girder jammed through my leg though, so

I'll have to pass on our hacky-sack session this afternoon. Oh man.

Dude, so why doesn't it hurt?"

Rebecca called up her system stats and accessed her teammates

medi-stats, gasping from the throbbing in her head. "Damn it, Dave why'd

you have to be a hero? You're right Tommy. He's gone. You don't look

much better. Can you see anything?"

"Nah. Too much blood and debris. Been talking to Command though. I

figured I might as well pass the time swapping recipes. Helps keep me

awake, which is what the doc sez is important. But he won't tell me

about the leg."

"Either my comms damaged or something, but I can't get through. The

reason you can't feel your leg is probably shock from the blood loss.

You need to keep talking Tommy. How long was I out?"

"Oh geez Becky, time and space are all, like, relative abstractions of

our inability to perceive beyond three dimensions. Peanut oil. Time is

viscous like peanut oil but can't be used in stir-fry."

"Those must be pretty good drugs you're on, Tommy."

"Painkillers from the suit. Kept injecting me until things started to

mellow. Yah, bet I sound weird. I, what? Okay Command I'll like tell her

but she'll think I'm high."

"What?"

"Like, this is too silly, man. Harvey is coming to save us."

"What?"

"You know, Jimmy Stewart and the big invisible rabbit?"

"Okay, you're high. Bridge, Tommy's high!"

"Thas wha I tole them... but they swear they are sending a giant bunny

and a Chinese samurai to save us... bbbrumbsm. No. Okay. Sum-yung-guy

with a sword and a big wabbit to save us. Rabbits are good diggers, but,

like, keep 'em out of McGreggors garden..."

"Parker!" She gasped.

"Bingo! That's the guy. You think he'll bring some stir-fry?"

***

Anderson was down, and Weaving had a feeling that he was about to be

next. Between them the pair had managed to bring down three of the

Nintan, but a very unlucky blast had pierced the wall of suppression

fire that they'd laid down, and that shot had taken out Weaving's

partner. Without help, the lone trooper knew that his life expectancy

was about that of a snowball taking an ill-advised vacation to Hell(tm).

Four weapons trained on him...

...and the sound of gunfire -- honest-to-Elvis Aurorean -gunfire- and

not the blat-batting of particle-beams -- sounded from behind the

Nintan. Caught by surprise, the aliens could only shuffle around towards

the new combatant as they were cut down like giant alien snakes before a

person holding machine-gun, or some similar far-out simile.

"...what took you so long, sir?" asked Weaving, as he saw the trooper

who had previously been hidden by the rank and file of aliens. "We

missed you!"

"Sorry, got held up in traffic!" called out Clark, stepping over towards

the two troopers. "Sparks said he'd lost contact with you and asked if

I'd take a squad to your last known position. So here I am."

"No disrespect to my CO, sir, but since when has the definition of squad

gotten so loose that it refers to an army of one?"

"Since I had to leave the others to shore up another firewall, that's

when. They're just doing mop-up now, so I figured they could spare me

for a bit." He glanced to the fallen trooper. "Damn, how's Anderson?"

"Not great," replied Weaving, kneeling down beside his partner to check

his suit-vitals. "Really not great. Can we get a line through to medical?"

"No can do. The interlinks aren't happy and we're in a dead zone. I

don't know if it's safe to move Anderson to get into contact, though."

He paused. "There is one option, though."

"What?"

"Well, if I can believe what my schematics are saying... we can patch

into the auxiliary medical bay's comm systems."

"We have an auxiliary medical bay? How come I didn't know about it?"

"It... well, it..."

"Yeah?"

"It got outsourced. We don't like to talk about it very much."

"How bad could it be?"

"Don't. Murphy's listening. But it's all we've got right now. Patching

through.. got it."

Both troopers waited a moment as the communication link was established.

Then a heavily accented Indian voice came through both suits' internal

speakers. "Yes, this is the other medical bay. Okay, what can I do to

help you today, sir?"

"Thank Elvis we got ahold of you! Our friend was gunned down and we need

to know what to do."

"Okay, sir, I am going to give you instructions. Please to follow them

exactly. Are you near to your friend?"

"Well... yes I am..."

"Okay, sir I'm going to have to ask you to get near to your friend. I

cannot help you if you do not move to where you have access to your

friend. I will have to hang up and ask you to call again once you are

near to him, okay?"

"I said that I'm near to him!"

"Okay sir, please do not raise your voice to me. I am doing my best to

help you. Now, have you moved near to your friend yet?"

"...sigh. Yes. I have."

"Okay sir. First, I want you to open your medical kit and to remove an

aspirin, okay?"

"What?"

"Sir, please insert the aspirin into your friend's mouth and tell me if

that solves the problem."

"He doesn't have an Elvis-damned headache, he's been shot!"

"Okay, sir, I am going to help you, but you must do as I instruct you.

Have you given him the aspirin yet?"

"I want to talk to a manager."

"Okay sir, I can put you on the line with my manager but she will just

tell you exactly what I already have. So please complete the treatment

with me and we can diagnose your friend."

"I know exactly what's wrong! He's been shot!"

"Okay, sir, but if we bandage him up and it turns out that he's just got

a headache, then we'll have to go through all the steps of this again.

Please insert the aspirin into his mouth and then okay sir, we can move

onto the next step. Is it in his mouth, sir?"

"...yes."

"Has he recovered, sir?"

"Not even a little bit."

"Okay sir. We're going to move onto the next step. Do you see the wound,

sir?"

"Yes. I see the wound."

"Okay. What color is the wound, sir?"

"...are you insane? It's red, because of all the blood!"

"Okay sir, I'm sorry but these are the questions that I have to ask. Now

sir, I want you to try re-seating his heart."

"...you are out of your little mind. I'm not trained in surgery; I don't

have the tools to perform it even if I was, these aren't sterile

conditions, and who has ever heard of re-seating a HEART?"

"Okay sir, I understand, sir--"

"The Hell(tm) you do..."

"--but these are the steps that we have to follow. Now okay sir, have

you re-seated the heart?"

"For the sake of argument, let's just say yes."

"Okay, good sir. Has this corrected the problem?"

"No. No it has not bloody well corrected the problem! Can I talk to a

real doctor please?"

"Okay, I'm sorry sir, but a real doctor would just tell you the same

things to that I'm telling you. What weapon caused this wound?"

"A particle-beam."

"Oh. Okay, I'm sorry sir, but I cannot continue this call. We do not

support particle beam weapons."

"Wha... but I'm not asking you to support a weapon, I'm asking you to

help me heal my friend!"

"Okay, I'm sorry sir. We do not support wounds caused by particle beam

weapons. I'm going to have to discontinue this call now. If you would

like to buy a recoilless rifle, visit our website and we offer quite a

few that we do support. You can shoot your friend with it and then call

us back and we'll be happy to support your friend, sir."

"I'm NOT CALLING ABOUT THE WEAPON, I'M CALLING ABOUT MY WOUNDED FRIEND!"

"Okay, I'm sorry sir. Have a nice day, sir."

The channel went dead. Clark took a long breath, and then turned to the

other ambulatory trooper. "Bandaged him up while I was talking to

that... individual?"

"Yup," replied Weaving. "Looks like the bloods stopped at least."

"Great," replied Clark, resisting the urge to find something to kick.

"Reseat the heart... I really, -really- hate outsourcing!"

***

Sparks turned around. "Tally ho sir. It's your turn. We have some snakes

heading to sector-12-c and we have some non-combatants barricaded there,

and I can't pull anyone else there fast."

"If you want something bloody done..." British Airwave muttered. He

keyed his commlink.

"TDSM meet me up by the galley asap. We have some pests to deal with."

British Airwave swapped glances with Dr. Sloan. "Sorry mate, looks like

Sam and I are the gash-hands pinged for sorting this lot."

Randall trotted out the bridge entrance, nodded to the trooper on post

with weapons ready, paused and then trotted down a side hallway towards

the galley. Once out of sight he paused long enough to check his pulse.

"Something to keep an old man alive, and off we go again." He swallowed

a small pill. "Damn. You'd think I would remember to grab a sidearm...

stupid doddering senile fool." Taking off in a quick job again, he

wended his way to the galley, only to spot TDSM up ahead of him. "Hoi!

TDSM!"

TDSM turned then grabbed his backside. "Randall! Flatten!"

British Airwave dove and rolled to the side, as TDSM threw a

double-handful of webbing at where he'd stood a moment ago, effectively

binding and tangling the lead snake that had approached from another

hallway behind Randall. Completing the roll, he sighted down his cane to

the end of the hallway far behind TDSM and fired a radio beeper.

As TDSM leapt in his direction, British Airwave disappeared and then

reappeared near the transmitter. Randall looked back at his teammate and

watched him shred the trio of snakes. Turning to the entangled one, he

was blown backwards down the hallway by the force of the alien

exploding. TDSM staggered to his feet then scuttled towards the galley.

He tossed Randall a small pistol. "Here, a sssouvenir!"

"Thanks Chuck." So what did you do to that scaly horror to make it explode?"

"Two thingsss. One, they aren't sssscaly. It's some sort of

battlessssuit, I think. Ssssecond, I did nothing. I think it killed

itssself."

"Go on now."

"Ssswear."

"That's odd Samuel. I could have sworn I 'heard' something. A odd

sounding transmission, right before it went FUBAR on you."

"Call me TDSM."

"Very well. Sorry."

"Fine now letsss get inside the galley-" TDSM peered inside through the

hatchway window and ducked quickly to one side as the window shattered

from small-arms fire. "-okaaaaay, you get insssside and tell them I will

not appreciate getting ssshot at." TDSM bit his arm to punctuate the

sentence.

"Hold your fire! We're on your side dammit!"