Announcing Brogue v1.6.3
penderprime at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 19:33:59 PDT 2012
It is my pleasure to announce the release of Brogue v1.6.3 for Mac OS
X, Windows and Linux. Downloads, screenshots, a forum and a wiki can
be found here:
New with 1.6.3:
- When examining items, unequipped weapons will tell you the percent
by which equipping the weapon would affect your accuracy and damage,
given what you know about the item. Similarly, examining unequipped
armor will tell you what your expected armor value would be if you
- You get a free search every turn, as though you are always wearing a
+1.5 ring of searching. In addition, secrets embedded in walls (secret
doors, hidden levers) are 33% harder to detect.
- Paralysis trap pressure plates are now physically separate from the
locations that emit the paralytic gas, which means there are more
hidden tiles that can be discovered to reveal the existence of a
paralysis trap, and paralysis gas will generally take a turn or two to
reach the player after stepping on the plate.
- Several new quest rooms and improvements to existing quest rooms.
- Stairs are generated in torchlit nooks in the walls of the dungeon.
- Out of depth monsters generated in shallower depths are drawn from a
narrower band of depths, making depths 2-5 easier, and some monster
hordes (bog monsters and groups of vampire bats) are specifically
prevented from spawning out of depth.
- Portcullises that block poison gas trap rooms cannot be obstructed
with items or creatures. Instead, a hidden lever will be generated
inside of the room when the trap is activated that will lift the
- Fixed a bug that constrained possible quest room generation to
- Quietus and paralysis runics trigger slightly less often, and
slowness runics trigger slightly more often. Slowness also lasts
- Hidden dungeon features (secret doors, traps, etc.) are revealed in
omniscience mode during recording playback.
- New cursed runic: armor of immolation.
- New monster: dart turret.
- Invisibility granted by a wand is now timed. The player can become
invisible with a reflected bolt from a wand of invisibility, which is
treated as being extremely stealthy.
- Allies will now announce when they are ready to absorb a new
- Allies will more reliably resume being friendly after being affected
by magical fear.
- Allies can now absorb centipedes’ ability to cause weakness.
- Creatures that can cast or breathe fire are now more careful with
- Pathfinding over harmful terrain while under the effect of a
temporary status that provides immunity to that terrain -- for
example, pathfinding over lava while temporarily immune to fire -- is
handled much more intelligently.
- Tweaked the rate at which allies’ combat abilities improve over
- Dar blademasters have less defense; eels have more.
- Transference benefits allies less.
- Weakness lasts 50% longer.
- Explosion tiles will disappear instead of promoting into gas fire.
- Fixed a bug that could occasionally cause allies to attack you while
they were attempting to escape from harmful terrain such as poisonous
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused fleeing monkeys to leap into lava
if the player was fire-immune, or into chasms if the player was
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused nausea to cause recordings to go
out of sync.
- Fixed a bug that occasionally generated bridges that lead into deep
- Fixed a bug that could render gold invisible and unobtainable,
though it would still appear on the sidebar.
- Fixed an exploit that could allow summoner allies to summon an
unlimited number of minions.
- Axes and spears will no longer hit creatures embedded in obstruction
- Monster cages will obstruct gas, so caged monsters won’t get steamed
to death before you reach them.
- Killing a shielded monster with a weapon of quietus generates the
correct amount of blood.
- Items will no longer float away from you if you are entangled in a
spiderweb over deep water.
- Messages that refer to monsters that cannot be seen (referred to as
“something”) will be appropriately gender-neutral.
- Unicorns have a more apt appearance.
- Phylacteries will be destroyed by negation magic.
- The help screen is more streamlined.
- The version number is displayed on the title screen.
More information about the roguelike-announce