LNH/REVIEW: Kid Review's Roundup - July 2014

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 03:52:46 PDT 2014

On 9/16/2014 10:50 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:
<snip>
> heh, I think somehow that when the powers shuffle around the next time, it
> might be connected to a power shuffle in Olympus itself.  As in, "Why do our
> interventions always go wrong?"

That's Our Hellenic Pantheon! will be right back, after these messages.

> In retrospect, I have to wonder how the in-universe writer pulled off
> portrayals of The Heroes Of The Future which were so wonderful the next
> writers were faithful to them for the next 30 years.  A period writer would
> probably have designated the Future Powernaut to be Paula, for instance.  But
> on the other hand, the future writers added some stuff not shown in 1969 -
> like Li'l Wyatt's head (not) being on fire because he also has biker demon
> powers (http://www.eilertech.com/stories/1988/me1.htm#hell).  It's as if the
> 1969 writer tripped out and saw so much of the future he just said, "Okay.
> That's it.  No cute little biker demon boy."

The underground P69 was lost for decades, during which all of those characters
were created and grew up. When it was rediscovered in 2014, most readers
assumed it was a hoax; most of the creators, on the other hand, freaked out,
and had to be talked down by Grant Morrison (who had a similar experience with
the little-known Kid Invisibles series from 1954).

> Dr. Deadbeat is awfully motivated to do the John Constantine thing.  But so is
> John Constantine, for that matter.  Some mystic anti-heroes get into
> adventures by being blatant weirdness magnets and then being not evil enough
> to avoid doing something like the right thing.  (I like to think that explains
> Wyatt Ferguson too.)  I'm not sure Dr. Deadbeat is attracting weirdness to
> him, though.  Perhaps he's attracted to it.

He fled the Looniverse after Beige Midnight, and according to some earlier
strips, seems to have fled multiple apocalypses. Perhaps he's just decided
that it's not worth running anymore.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, face the music