8FOLD: Nonfiction # 3, "The New War"

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 15:52:23 PDT 2014

On 6/23/2014 6:12 PM, Tom Russell wrote:
> On Monday, June 23, 2014 5:53:55 PM UTC-4, Andrew Perron wrote:
>> On 6/23/2014 5:33 PM, Tom Russell wrote:

<snip>
>>   > Isolationism, pacifism, they're not options in
>>   > this case. (Or, I guess, they are options, but the end result is death, so
>>   > they're not really viable.)
>>
>> Okay, but: Says who?
>
 > Well, that guy, and I should be clear that I'm not necessarily agreeing
 > with or disagreeing with him, I just wanted to more clearly expound upon
 > where that character was coming from and to explain that it wasn't
 > necessarily the same animal as "suspension of discourse/civil liberties" we
 > often see when nominally democratic societies go into crisis mode.

Oh, sure. But I guess what I'm trying to say is - to be blunt - if you didn't
mean for him to sound like that, you failed.

In my opinion.

Sorry. ^^;

>> Ahhhh, very good. Just making sure - I still haven't caught up on most of the
>> pre-2008 Eightfold. [Editor's Note: I miss Jamie Rosen.]
 >
 > Me too! When he first announced he had a new universe, and I came on-board
 > as his co-conspirator, I had no idea that I'd end up being the guy running
 > the show. If I did, I probably would have ran away screaming-- my previous
 > attempts at launching an imprint left an awful lot to be desired. What drew
 > me to it was getting to work with Jamie, an author I had always admired and
 > who, along with Saxon, was among the first to make me feel a "part" of RACC
 > vis-a-vis The Death of Cheesecake-Eater Lad cascade story.

Man. I re-read that recently - now there's an unfinished cascade that should
tie into Just Another Cascade, just because of the awesomeness of the cosmic
worldbuilding there. (Specifically, I re-read it to make a page on the wiki
for Ending of the Finishless.)

 > I was able to get back into contact with him a few months ago via twitter
 > (getting permission to take over/continue his WEIRD ROMANCE series).

Cool! Hopefully he finds the muse pulling him back here again someday.

>>   > and mentioned a handful of other times. Hotspur has shown up once before,
>>   > and bonus points if you can name it without googling it... (Honor system,
>>   > gents and ladles!)
>>
>> Hmmmmm. Was Hotspur, perhaps... one of the escapees in Jolt City #20?
>
 > Nope. He was kind of a throw-away character in the story in which he
 > appeared, and yet he wasn't, as he was responsible in some way for
 > everything that happened in that issue, and, in a way, every issue since.
 > Kinda like Jar-Jar Binks being responsible for the rise of the Empire.

Okay, actually googling now... ahhhhh, I see, I see. Yes, that's an
appropriate comparison. (Did you know that there's a member of EUROPA over in
ASH named that?)

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, finishlessless