SW10/WWW: Powernaut 1969 #8: Can We Just Call Ourselves Powernauts?

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Sat Jul 19 11:27:03 PDT 2014

If the team keeps calling itself Powernaut and the Power Patrol and the
Agents of P.O.W.E.R.N.A.U.T., they'll spend more time displaying their
logo than hunting the villain.  So let's get this hunt moving!  ...
Powernaut 1969 Part 2 begins.

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1969b.htm#8

Coming into Part 2, I retroactively changed some coloring in Part 1 #7
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1969.htm#7) ...  (1) The
Penta-Ship of Hypergaard ought to be easily distinguished from a pirate
ship.  Shiny!  (2) Superhumans and their allies have some more color
than normal people do in Hypergaard.  Paula Power qualifies.  As for the
start of Part 2, I think children in the 1970s will be able to go into
Spencer Gifts and see a "Glom" poster of the Powernaut.

I did not come into this series with a firm concept for what the
Hyper-Piper of Hypergaard looked like.  That was just as well, because
(of all possible characters) Loki has become a movie heartthrob.  So the
Hyper-Piper looks like Movie Loki, only more so.

Bonus Section:  2005 Reprint Commentary from Steven Oliver Samuels
(S.O.S.)!  The Hyper-Sea

In any four-dimensional hyper-universe, the surface of a
four-dimensional hyper-sea would of course be three-dimensional.  So
despite how Hypergaard's ocean vessels look like sailing ships, they are
actually space ships.  Presumably their sails catch something like a
solar wind; Hypergaard's universe does have stars.  Either the ships
have environment control to provide warmth and oxygen, or they don't
need it.  I didn't figure out which... I always regretted being sucked
into this adventure without a full set of scientific equipment.

I know. - Archie Andrews