[LNH/HCC] Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #58 [HCC42]

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 16 20:55:28 PST 2014

LNH/HCC: Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #58  [HCC42]

___  ___________________________
| |-|                           \
| |-| []                        /              #58
| | | [] egion of               \  'The B-Movie Teenage Romance Thing'
| | | []__ [] []   []  []       / (Part of High Concept Challenge #42)
| | | [___][ \[]et.[]__[]eroes  \
| | |      []\ ]   [ __ ]       /    written by and copyright 2014
| |-|      [] []   []  []       \          Saxon Brenton
| |-|___________________________/
| |
| |
| | Cover shows an adolescent version of Limp-Asparagus Lad (in civvies)
| | sitting on a wall next to an adolescent version of Senses Lass
| | (also in civvies) and holding hands.  There is a high school in the
| | background, with students entering and leaving.  And everybody is
| | a robot.
| |
|_|

     Joshua Asimov was sitting on the wall after classes waiting for
Mary-Ann Happenstance.  When she arrived she took one look at his black
eye and asked, "What happened?"
     "I helped break up a fight," he said with his usual unconcerned
tone of voice.  He jumped down, and together they began walking home.
"Some of the bullies were picking on Paul because there had been a
minor accident and his family can't afford to get cosmetic panel
beating.  One of them was even idiotic enough to continue the scuffle
even though the deputy principle heard and was there in seconds.  I was
elbowed in the optics."
     "Eww," she said.  "You should be more careful."
     "We're young.  We're foolish.  We're under the misapprehension
that we'll live forever," he replied with the dry irony that comes from
careful observation of life and which needs only the tiniest touch of
hyperbole.
     Mary-Ann gazed down the street of the college town where they
lived.  She said, "You know, sometimes I think that's why some of the
kids treat each other so badly.  They can't imagine anything other than
an unchanging, unending period of high school.  And that makes the ones
that are already bored resentful."
     "Perhaps," said Joshua.  "But I think maybe it's also that we're
social mechas, and a lot of them will do anything to fit into their
social circle - no matter how stupid peer group pressure makes them
behave.  That acts as a social pressure cooker."
     "Ha!  And this despite all the TV shows and movies with
non-conformists being the ones to save the day," she countered.
     The conversation continued like this, even after they had reached
Mary-Ann's house and walked in the front door.  Her father looked up
from the report he was preparing for his job as a college professor and
listened to them.  "Are you two actually debating social theory?" he
asked, amused.
     "Er, yes?" went Mary-Ann, momentarily on the back foot.
     "Most kids your age would be discussing things like dates and
basketball games."
     She gave him a hug.  "Yes Daddy, but we're not most kids."
     He smiled indulgently and briefly returned the hug.  "No, I guess
you aren't."  And that wasn't just the usual parental assumption that
their children are always special talking.  "Hello Joshua," he said,
shaking hands.
     "Hello sir."
     "That's quite a shiner.  I hope you gave as good as you got."
     "I was helping the deputy principle break up a fight," Joshua
replied, giving an even more abreviated version of the story than he'd
told to Mary-Ann.  "Giving or taking weren't important, just the stopping."
     And there it was again, realised Professor Happenstance.  Joshua
was nowhere near as striking a figure as Mary-Ann, and it was frequently
the case that you could overlook this exceptionally uninteresting
looking young mecha, but time and again the Professor had noted that
Joshua's thought processes ran in unexpected ways.  "So what are you up
to this evening?" he asked, turning the conversation to a more mundane
topic.
     "I wanted to ask to take Mary-Ann out to the movies," Joshua said.
"They're showing 'Attack of the Human'."
     "That's fine.  Just as long as you have your homework done first,"
he told his daughter.
     "Of course," she said, as if this was obvious.
     "And I should be leaving so that I can finish mine," said Joshua.
"I'll be back around eight."

                    --==###==--

     It was night.  On a secluded hill top overlooking town was an open
top car, and two teenagers who were making out.  The boy stopped, "Did
you hear something, Wendy?"
     She listened.  "No, I don't hear anything."
     "Hmmm," Rusty went, looking suspiciously out at the moonlit
countryside. "I think we should go."
     "I'm sure it was nothing..." the girl said, just as a creature
leapt from the undergrowth and landed on the bonnet of the car.  By the
light of the moon they could see that it was a monstrous human!
     "And now, foolish robos, I shall eat and digest you... with my
fearsome ORGANS!" the creature exclaimed.
     The theatre was suddenly filled with screams at the arrival of the
human.  Not because it was a surprise - the title of the movie kind of
gave it away - but more for the release of tension.
     And maybe a bit of gross out.  On screen the human was gratuitously
showing off the plastic mock-ups of intestines that were arranged about
the actor's torso in an attempt to look visceral and icky.
     "That's a really poor special effect," commented Joshua in an
undertone.
     "Suspend your disbelief," Mary-Ann advised, also in a whisper.
"What would it be like to be in that situation?  What would it feel
like... Oh, all right, that's just being gratuitous," she conceded as
the human ripped Rusty's head off and ate it.
     "And your suspension of disbelief?" asked Joshua.
     "There's a difference between a bad special effect used because
they didn't have the budget for anything better, and a poor plot choice
made for shock value."
     Behind them another teenager rolled his eyes.  Paul leaned forward
and snarked at his friends, "You know, if you two aren't going to get
into the film, you didn't have to come in the first place."
     Mary-Ann smiled.  "And this is any different to everybody else not
getting into the film because they're busy kissing?"
     The movie continued.  Wendy escaped and raised the alarm, but
nobody believed her at first.  The body count continued to rise.  The
army was called in.  Attacks were made, and failed.  Then the oil
smeared ruins of the secret lab where the human had been held was found,
and the secret of the creature's super-mechanical strength was
discovered.  As was it corresponding weakness.  A final desperate attack
was made.  Made even more desperate when the human outwitted and out-
flanked them.  Only the last minute save by Wendy grabbing the dropped
spear and running it through the monster's chest averted disaster.  The
film ended with the gruff old general musing that it was beauty that had
killed the beast - which was a dreadfully cliche line but made the
people in the audience who were still paying attention go, "Aaawww...".
     "Okay, but why was there a secret laboratory with a monster built
in town?" asked Joshua rhetorically as the three of them walked out of
the theatre's foyer.
     "I dunno," said Paul.  "Corporate R&D?  Secret military research?
University thesis project?"
     "Someone had a nightmare and wanted to make it real?" suggested
Mary-Ann.
     They paused on the opposite side of the street.  "Well, I guess
I'll see you two at school on Monday..." began Paul, when he was
interrupted by a horrible growl that sent a chill through their oil.
     Up on top of the awning to the building that they'd just left,
highlighted dramatically by the 'Attack of the Human' marquee, was a
human!  It didn't look like the one in the film.  The one in the film
was obviously a mecha wearing a latex mask.  This was too lithe, built
too much like a fast-moving lightweight predator, too much of an obvious
carnivorous pack ape used to running down camelpards and rabbiphants to
be anything but the real thing.
     The creature growled again, causing the crowd below it to take an
instinctive step backward.  With a single leap that you would think
would have been impossible from something made merely of meat, it jumped
down to ground level and bared its teeth at a couple who had just exited.
     Mary-Ann grabbed an empty bottle from that litter bin and threw it,
yelling "Hey!  Ugly!" as she did so.  It hit the human on the side of
the head, causing it to spin around and howl at them.
     "What did you do that for!?" exclaimed Paul as she picked up a
second bottle.
     "I'm distracting it," she said, not taking her eyes from the
creature.  "We have room to run.  The crowd on the other side of the
road don't.  Now, you're the science guy.  Which way do we go?"
     Paul took half a second before saying, "Okay, uhh...  Don't split
up: safety in numbers.  Head for the lake.  They can't hold their breath
for as long as we can.  Maybe we can find a way to drown it, or
something..."
     Maybe the human was irritated by the talking.  Whatever the case,
it chose that moment to charge across the street towards them, teeth
bared in a show of intimidation.  It worked: the teenagers ran for it.
     "How long can it chase us?" asked Joshua as he threw a look over
his shoulder.
     "A while," admitted Paul.  "Warm blooded animal, high energy
metabolism.  It'll get energy from the sugars in its blood, then start
burning any fat reserves, then start metabolising it's muscle mass.
Mind you, fatigue poisons will make it give up the chase long before it
gets to that point..."
     "Wait!" said Mary-Ann.  She stopped and looked back.  "Where did
it go?"
    They looked about.  There was no sign of their human pursuer.  The
street behind them, the houses on one side and the parkland on the other
all appeared empty.  The three teenagers drew together in a defensive
circle, facing outwards.
     "The path down to the lake runs curved rather than straight in this
area," said Joshua.  "Maybe it tried to head us off by cutting across
country through those bushes?"
     They looked at the bushes.  There was a rustling, and the glow of
red eyes appeared.
     "Whew," said Mary-Ann in relief.  "It's just a robo-squirrel."
     Then there was a hideous mechanical screech, as the human leapt out
of the bushes and grabbed the robo-squirrel in passing and dismembered
it with its bare paws.  The teens fled in the opposite direction, back
up the hill and away from both the lake and the centre of town.
     "Now what?" demanded Joshua
     "I don't know!" exclaimed Mary-Ann.
     "Head for the high school," went Paul.  "There might be stuff there
that we can use against it."
     "Stuff in the science labs?" asked Joshua as they ran the final
block towards their new destination.
     "Stuff in the kitchen, actually...  Oh," he said at the sight of
the building lit up and cars parked out the front.  "Oh yeah, basketball
match this evening."
     "We can't lead that thing in there," said Mary-Ann, pulling to a
stop.  "A crowd of people packed into a confined space will be
defenceless."
     Joshua turned and saw the human still advancing after them.  "We'll
have to risk it spliting up.  Paul, you go get whatever it is that you
need from the kitchens.  We'll try and keep it distracted out here."
     Paul nodded and headed off one way, Joshua and Mary-Ann waiting a
brief half second to make sure it wasn't following him before making
their own deliberately noisy departure.
     The ruckus attracted the attention of a security guard.  "Hey, what
do you two think you're doing..."
     "Monster on the loose!" Joshua yelled as a warning, just before the
human leapt at the hapless guard and knocked him over.  The guard
screamed and the human began tear at his arm at the shoulder socket.
Mary-Ann threw the second bottle and hit the human in the head.  "No,
you ugly thing!  It's us you want!"
     The guard kicked the human off from him in a panic.  No sooner had
the creature rounded back towards its wounded prey than Joshua picked up
some metal litter and began throwing it at it, trying to distract it
again.  The creature paused and growled at Joshua.  Joshua carefully
advanced, continuing to yell at it.  The human leapt at the boy, and
Joshua turned and ran, only to discover the direction he'd taken was
funnelling him towards the double doors leading into the basketball court.
     Mercifully the doors were closed.  Joshua turned, and with his back
up against the doors watched the human running towards him.  At the last
moment he tried to dodge, hoping to duck out of the way and get the human
to knock itself unconscious or at least wound itself by slamming into the
doors.  After all, they outwards, so it wasn't as though the creature
could burst them open from this side.
     The first part of the plan worked, the second did not.  True, the
doors opened outwards.  That simply meant the impact broke the doors off
their hinges.
     There was a mighty crash as one of the doors gave way completely,
depositing the human onto the sidelines of the court right at the
halfway line.  It raised its head into the air and howled, advancing
into the centre of the court and prompting the players and referees to
hastily scuttle away to the sidelines.  Some of the people in the stands
screamed.
     Joshua and Mary-Ann came trotting in, armed with whatever they
could grab.  Barely a second or so later came the wounded guard, holding
his arm.
     Joshua said, "Do we circle it and try to contain it in the middle?"
     "I'd prefer to lure it back outside away from people," countered
Mary-Ann.
     "Start an orderly evacuation of the court," announced the guard to
one of the referees, even though this was already obviously impossible
as people were climbing up towards the top of the seating, clumping into
fearful groups at the back.
     The human feinted at Joshua.  In response Mary-Ann pelted it with
stuff in an attempt to keep it off balance.  "How long do we have keep
this up?"
     "Not long," called Paul cheerfully as he ran in carrying a bottle
of liquid.  "Hey, hairy guy!  Try this instead."  And he splashed the
contents of the bottle over the human.
     The human looked puzzled for a second.  Then it exploded, sending
great goobie globs of biological material out over the court.
     "Eww," went Mary-Ann.  She was covered in the stuff.  She, Joshua,
Paul and the guard had been closest to the detonation, and had taken the
brunt of the splattering.  She started to wipe it off.  "Okay," she
asked, "What was that stuff?"
     "Arsenic," said Paul.
     "The flavouring additive?" responded Joshua quizzically.  "You'll
have to explain.  I don't see why it exploded from arsenic."
     "Humans use phosphorus to regulate the cells that make up their
bodies.  Arsenic is similar enough to be mistaken for phosphorus and for
their bodies to *try* to use it in its place, but different enough not
to actually be *able* to work in its place," Paul explained.  "Which
makes sense.  Arsenic is just below phosphorus on the periodic table,
after all.  So anyway, a good dose of concentrated arsenic food
flavouring was that was needed to disrupt the human's cell structure
and make its body go 'boom'!"  He looked pleased with himself.  "It's
a rather serious flaw in their biology, actually."
     The guard clapped his hand on Paul's shoulder in congratulation.
"Well done, son.  They'll be calling you a hero for that."
     A cheer went up as the spectators - not sure what exactly was
going on but grasping that the day had been saved - echoed the guard's
sentiments.
     And at that point - because this was a b-movie story and contrived
timing is part of the genre - a squadron of cops and various concerned
parents arrived.  Mary-Ann saw her father and rushed over to him.
Joshua followed, leaving Paul in the centre of a crowd of admirers.
     "What happened here?" the Professor asked.
     They quickly explained the situation.  Professor Happenstance
nodded gravely, then smiled when the story ended and all was revealed to
be well.  He looked over to where Paul was happily soaking up some rare
public adulation, and said, "You know, they'll be calling you two heroes
as well."
     "Yes.  But that can wait for later," said Joshua calmly.  "Paul
needs the acclaim more than we do."  And not for the first, or even the
tenth time, Professor Happenstance observed that Joshua acted very
strangely for a teenager.
     "Well, be that as it may," the Professor said. "Right now I'm proud
of all three of you.  So let's go over and give Paul our congratulations."

=====

Character credits:
     Well, harking back to the Looniearth-A characters that these people
are the other-dimensional counterparts of:
     Limp-Asparagus Lad (Joshua Asimov).  Owned by Saxon Brenton.
Created by wReam and Mystic Mongoose.
     Senses Lass (Mary-Ann Happenstance).  Created by Martin Phipps.
     Professor Perhap (Percevil Happenstance).  Cretead by Mark
Friedman.

Author's notes:
     Written for the 42nd High Concept Challenge: "Outside the Walls of
enre": Taking characters and putting them in an alternate universe that
doesn't have superheroes.
     You know, to the best of my recollection, there's only been a
handful of times that I've shown Limp-Asparagus Lad and Senses Lass
actually together and interacting with one another.  One time was in
continuity but was a flashback to when they were in conflict because
she was still a supervillain member of the Union of the Useless, and the
others take place out of continuity in the RACCCafe stories or the
Carols By Candlelight Special.  (Errr... to the extent that the LNH
imprint considers *anything* out of continuity, of course...)  Most of
their relationship has happened off panel.
     Obviously this story does not help improve that statistic.  But it
does allow me to hold up an only mildly distorting mirror to their
relationship.
     The movie scene where the human attacks the teenagers was, of
course, lifted wholsesale from the Futurama episode 'Fear Of A Bot
Planet'.  The throw-the-common-foodstuff-at-the-monster-and-cause-it-
to-explode trick was based on a similar scene in the Dr Who epsiode
'World War Three'.  FWIW, arsenic poisoning really does disrupt the
operation of our cells by confusing it with the phosphorus that our
bodies use - but in real life we don't explode.  Ah, b-movie science.

-----
Saxon Brenton   University of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
     saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au     saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex
world of jet-powered apes and time-travel." - Superman, JLA Classified #3

[LNH/HCC] Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #58  [HCC42]

___  ___________________________
| |-|                           \
| |-| []                        /              #58
| | | [] egion of               \  'The B-Movie Teenage Romance Thing'
| | []__ [] []   []  []       / (Part of High Concept Challenge #42)
| | | [___][ \[]et.[]__[]eroes  \
| | |      []\ ]   [ __ ]       /    written by and copyright 2014
| |-|      [] []   []  []       \          Saxon Brenton
| |-|___________________________/
| |
| |
| | Cover shows an adolescent version of Limp-Asparagus Lad (in civvies)
| | sitting on a wall next to an adolescent version of Senses Lass
| | (also in civvies) and holding hands.  There is a high school in the
| | background, with students entering and leaving.  And everybody is
| | a robot.
| |
|_|

     Joshua Asimov was sitting on the wall after classes waiting for
Mary-Ann Happenstance.  When she arrived she took one look at his black
eye and asked, "What happened?"
     "I helped break up a fight," he said with his usual unconcerned
tone of voice.  He jumped down, and together they began walking home.
"Some of the bullies were picking on Paul because there had been a
minor accident and his family can't afford to get cosmetic panel
beating.  One of them was even idiotic enough to continue the scuffle
even though the deputy principle heard and was there in seconds.  I was
elbowed in the optics."
     "Eww," she said.  "You should be more careful."
     "We're young.  We're foolish.  We're under the misapprehension
that we'll live forever," he replied with the dry irony that comes from
long observation and which needs only the tiniest touch of hyperbole.
[...]

     "How long can it chase us?" demanded Joshua as he threw a look over
his shoulder.
     "A while," admitted Paul.  "Warm blooded animal, high energy
metabolism.  It'll get energy from the sugars in its blood, then start
burning any fat reserves, then start metabolising it's muscle mass.
Mind you, fatigue poisons will make it give up the chase long before it
gets to that point."
     "Wait!" said Mary-Ann.  She stopped and looked back.  "Where did
it go?"
    They looked about.  There was no sign of their human pursuer.  The
street behind them, the houses on one side and the parkland on the other
all appeared empty.  The three teenagers instinctively drew together in
[...]
have to risk it.  Split up.  Paul, you go get whatever it is that you
[...]
     The human feinted at Joshua.  In response Mary-Ann threw stuff at
it.  "How long do we have keep this up?"
[...]

     Professor Perhap (Percevil Happenstance).  Created by Mark
Friedman.

Author's notes:
     Written for the 42nd High Concept Challenge: "Outside the Walls of
Genre": Taking characters and putting them in an alternate universe that
doesn't have superheroes.
     You know, to the best of my recollection, there's only been a
handful of times that I've shown Limp-Asparagus Lad and Senses Lass
actually together and interacting with one another.  One time was in
continuity but was a flashback to when they were in conflict because
she was still a supervillain member of the Union of the Useless, and the
others take place out of continuity in the RACCCafe stories or the
Carols By Candlelight Special.  (Errr... to the extent that the LNH
imprint considers *anything* out of continuity, of course...)  Most of
their relationship has happened off panel.
     Obviously this story does not help improve that statistic.  But it
does allow me to hold up an only mildly distorting mirror to their
relationship.
     The movie scene where the human attacks the teenagers was, of
course, lifted wholesale from the Futurama episode 'Fear Of A Bot
Planet'.  The throw-the-common-foodstuff-at-the-monster-and-cause-it-
to-explode trick was based on a similar scene in the Dr Who episode

     saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au     saxonbrenton at hotmail.com