SW10: Powernaut 1948 #1: Powernaut and Losernaut!

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Mon Jan 21 19:13:11 PST 2013

You're probably wondering how I can top my last 24-issue series.  I
think I'll go to the other extreme!

http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/1948.htm#1

I was going to just fold this strip into the main Powernaut page,
because it's just one strip. But then where would I put the commentary?
And with Curly Howard and Jerry Lewis both around, and Goofus and
Gallant making their debut, how could this strip not have commentary?
And there *could* always be more Powernaut 1948 strips.

Bonus Section: Commentary from Online! Powernaut and Losernaut (comic strip)

 From the Encyclopedia Galactica, free information for the universe.

See also: Powernaut and Losernaut (movie).

Editor's Note: This article may contain wording that presents the
subject in a subjective manner.

"Powernaut and Losernaut" is a series of public service announcements in
comic strip form. It appeared in United States comic books of the Power
Comics Company from 1948 to 1950. The characters are based on the 1948
Powernaut and Losernaut movie, starring Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis. The
format resembles the Goofus and Gallant comic strip, created in 1948 and
published in Highlights Magazine for Children.

Visually, the Powernaut character of 1948 resembles the comic strips of
the 1940s, only with a flatter hairdo to resemble Dean Martin. The
"clean-haired" Powernaut art style would evolve later in the late 1950s,
probably based on the "Big Boy" fiberglass character who appeared in
restaurant comic books from 1956 onward.

The Losernaut character is based on the movie, in which Jerry Lewis wore
a bald-stubble wig. It seems obvious that this was an attempt to swipe
audience from the Three Stooges, from whose team Curly Howard had taken
leave of absence in 1946. The Losernaut comic strip character therefore
has both stubble-head and exaggerated buck teeth.

The movie "Powernaut and Losernaut" was the second Powernaut movie,
released in 1948. The first movie "Powernaut and Le Resistant" in 1946
was the film debut of the Martin-Lewis team, and was wildly successful.
"Powernaut and Losernaut" was less so. The Powernaut movie franchise
would stagger on until 1954, with Dean Martin only. Jerry Lewis
considered the 1954 movie "Powernaut on Venus in 3-D" beneath his dignity.

As the Powernaut movie franchise fared, so fared the comics. Powernaut
Comics continued to lose audience after 1948 and well into the 1950s.
Powernaut and Losernaut comic strips were suspended in 1950. Powernaut
comics would only experience a resurgence in 1955, with PowerTEEN comics.

I know. - Archie Andrews