RACCIES: 2012 (19th Annual) RACCies Ceremony

Scott Eiler seiler at eilertech.com
Thu Apr 25 18:45:15 PDT 2013

A young woman came home from work.  She just wanted to shed her business
clothes and high heels.  But first she had to stop by the condo mailbox.

It had a card without address, saying "You Are Invited."  She opened it
right there, so she could dump it in the condo trash right there.

Inside, it said, "Sharpshooter!  You are invited to observe the RACCies
Award Ceremony of 2012!  Your reading this invitation constitutes
acceptance of this request!"

She said, "But this is 2013!  And who's Sharpshooter?  ... Hey!"

Smoke flowed out from the card to surround her.  When it dissipated, she
was in a line of people, on a red carpet in front of a theater!

She turned to the big man who'd just stepped in behind her.  He was like
an orc from the movies!  He looked down and said, "I know the feeling.
That's how this ceremony works.  I greet you as Anal-Retentive Analysis
Kid 2."

"Uh, hi.  I greet you as Rachel Hawkins."

"Understood on many levels.  Now, let me acclimatize you."

"Uh, right."

"This ceremony honors the best and brightest from across the universes.
  For whatever reason, you are here.  People within this arena will
direct you to seating where you may observe.  I recommend you smile
sweetly and and just watch, unless and until you are awarded."

"Uh, right."

The line slowly moved.

---

The ticket taker looked suspiciously at Rachel's invitation, but gave
her a ticket to an assigned seat at a table.  The orc went to a
different seat.

Past the gate, a man was holding a sign, "Rachel Hawkins".  He had a
tuxedo, a top hat, and a serious sunburn.

Rachel had to ask.  "*What the hell* is this all about?!?"

The man remarked, "Oh, I am *so much* the right one to ask.  I apologize
for the short notice, but I've arranged with your company for your
presence here.  The paperwork must be tardy.  Indeed, you must have
noticed you got someone else's invitation."

"... Got it.  But how'd you get me here?"

"You *are* investigating metahuman powers.  I'm involved with that.
More than that, you'll understand I can't reveal without a briefing."

"So you must realize, I need some ID before I talk with you."

"Well then.  Here's my card.  And I've arranged for special transport
for you when you leave here tonight.  *Blow this whistle.*"

Rachel took the card.  "Uh, could you perhaps tell me more?  Do I have
to go to some taxi stand or anything?"

"When the time comes, you will know that is not important.  But I do
want you to know, I directed that invitation to you.  I know you
personally can change things tonight by just being here.  I may be
unavailable later, but I'll count on you to represent us."

"Uh, yes, sir."  It wasn't exactly standard ID, but he hadn't refused to
give it.  So as far as Rachel knew, this was one of her boss's clients.
  "I'd love to assist you. What *specifically* do you want from us tonight?"

"Just keep your patient from other exploiters."

"Uh, keep my what from what what?"

"I think you get it."  He disappeared in, what else, a bloom of smoke.

She looked at his card.  It said, The Diabolical Devilman.  All she
could do was shrug.  Another convention marketeer... she hoped.

---

Rachel went toward her assigned seat, among tables.  But she recognized
someone down toward the stage, where they had theater seating.  Eager
for *anyone* she knew, she yelled and waved.  "Hey!  Lydia!  Lydia
Devin!  Hi!"

Lydia visibly shrugged.  But the ushers stood aside as Rachel went down
to her.

Lydia was with her sister Elana and two older men in blue and yellow
costumes.  They all stayed silent.  Rachel said, "Uh, hi."

Elana said, "You're not here to track Lydia, right?"

"Please!  I don't know *why* I'm here!  I just got popped here!  Just
say hello!"

"Oh.  Okay.  Hello.  Us too."  Elana hugged Rachel, then looked toward
the others.  "I suppose I should introduce everyone.  Uh, what were your
names again?"

Lydia interjected, "I think they were the Power Nut and the Stupo Wizard."

The shorter (white-haired) man glowered.  The taller (gray-haired) said,
"Power-NAUT, young lady.  And he's the SUPER Wizard. From Space."

"Whatever.  And you look like an idiot in that bow tie.  Where'd you
find a yellow one, anyway?"

Power-NAUT was about to retort, but the lights blinked.  Elana said, "Do
you have a seat yet, Rachel?"

"I do.  I guess I'd better find it."

---

Rachel found her seat, st a table near the back of the arena.  The
lights were low by the time she sat.  But unlike the other tables, a
lava lamp was lighting hers.

The display screen above the stage lit up.

                      o  o  o  o  o  o  o
               o  o  o     The  2012     o  o  o
         o  o  o  o  o   (19th Annual)   o  o  o  o  o
               o  o  o  RACCie  AWARDS!  o  o  o
                      o  o  o  o  o  o  o

On stage, a man in foreign costume-military uniform stepped to the
podium.  "Welcome to the Recreational Arts Comics Creative Awards
Ceremony of 2013!  The best amateur comics awards on the Internet - or
at least the oldest!  THESE ARE THE NINETEENTH ANNUAL RACCIES!"  Most of
the audience clapped wildly.  Rachel gave a golf-clap.

"Let me introduce myself. I am the Maximum Overlord of the Dorfs!  I
know superhumans!"  He raised his fists.  Some people at Rachel's table
gasped, but more people clapped.

"Let me introduce my *judges*!  They introduce *military discipline* for
this year's ballot counting!"  The lights went up on a panel of people
in that same costume-uniform.

"You know of some people who *disrupted* the ceremony last year."  The
display screen above the stage showed a comic strip!
(http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/RACCies.htm)  "You'll be
glad to know this year they will be *restrained!*"  Spotlights shone on
that Power-NAUT and that Super Wizard, as tentacles enfolded them from
their seats.  Aa they struggled, their energy was drained from them.
Some people applauded, but Rachel gasped.

"Of course, due to recent security restrictions where many of us come
from, we are pleased to implement *more* restraints!"  Tentacles came up
throughout the audience, not at Rachel's table, but at many others.  No
applause this time.

"You will notice we restrain many beings of power.  We do this with
power which *surpasses* theirs!  First:  The entire Legion of Net.Heroes
collection of occult objects!"  Shelves appeared with a ring, a
gauntlet, and stuff.

"Then:  Six of the Omniversal Engines!"  Jewels burst through the backdrop.

"Finally:  Four of the Cosmic Crowns!"  Four headdresses burst
underneath them.

The Super Wizard yelled, "I had those imprisoned in the *heart of a sun!*"

The Maximum Overlord yelled back, "*It does not matter!*  Power wishes
to be *used*!  And power calls to power!  What you *neglect*, we
*exploit*!  And we dominate the power in *all* of you!  The more
powerful you are, the more we shall dominate you!"

One voice rose from a forward table.  "So, the *less* powerful we are,
the *less* you dominate us?"

"Ellipsis.  Silence Mr. Ferguson."  ZZZAP

 From the theater area with the nominees...  "You have locked yourselves
in a room with my anger.  The anger of the Ultimate Ninja.  I and my
anger will unleash ourselves..."

"Kid Kirby.  Silence Mr. Ninja."  BBBOLT from the tables

Another voice sang out from one more table.

"A desperate time had come to pass!
Our Heroes trapped like flies in glass!
They all were far from help or aid!
So who could ever come to save?"

"Uh... TerraStar.  Silence Mr. Chevalier's Narrator."  ZZZORCH from
across tables

"I trust that answers all questions."

---

Rachel remarked quietly at her table, "I wonder if it's time to call for
my ride..."

The young man next to her said, "No!  If you have a way out of here, we
have to hold it in reserve!  Meanwhile, we can learn the villain's plan!"

 From his other side, a woman whispered, "*I* think an exit might be right."

Rachel asked, "And you are...?"

"Oh, sorry."  The woman said, "Sharon Venturi."

And the man held out his hand.  "Casey von Aluminumfoil!"

"Uh, thanks, I'm Rachel von... err..."

A garish-costumed boy seated on Rachel's other side gestured.  "Ssh!
You're interrupting the coolest RACCies ever!"  Then he guzzled a can of
Jolt City Cola as the waitress came with another can.

Casey whispered, "Pardon Obsessive Compulsive Boy, but he's right.  It's
time to listen."

The speaker continued.  "We have harnessed the power of this ceremony
itself, to call out and harness all this *other* power!  *Your* power!
So now our plan commences!  The Great Plan of the Dorfs!"

An old black man from across Rachel's table asked quietly, "Shouldn't we
try to free people or something?"

"No!", whispered Casey.  "We need to know all we can about their plan
before we move!"

 From the podium:  "Your most powerful characters are here before *our*
power!  Each award we grant will put one more of you *within* that
power!  So do the Dorf *dominate*!  I now declare the first award!"

An award trophy grew to about fifteen feet tall.  Tentacles came from it
to drag one man to shackles at the top, and another at the bottom!  It
had a label:

                  .....oooooOOOOO(*)OOOOOooooo.....
** FAVORITE REVIEW TITLE (RACC13):  End of Month Reviews! (Accepted by
Anal-Retentive Analysis Kid)  HONORABLE MENTION:  The Tribulations of
Kid Review!  (Accepted by Kid Review)
                  .....oooooOOOOO(*)OOOOOooooo.....

In rapid succession, other awards came up:

                  .....oooooOOOOO(*)OOOOOooooo.....
** FAVORITE STORY UNIVERSE (RACC14):  Classic LNH!  (Accepted by
Cheesecake Eater Lad)  HONORABLE MENTION:  LNH20!  (Accepted by January
Frost)

** BEST DISCUSSION (RACC16):  Queer LNHers/Superhuman World Sexuality!
(Accepted by Fairy Princess Lad)  HONORABLE MENTION:  Three Metaphors
For Superhero Teams!  (Accepted by Manga Girl)

** FAVORITE RUNNING GAG (RACC17):  Doc Nostalgia colliding with himself!
  (Accepted by Doc Nostalgia)  HONORABLE MENTION:  People going "WOW" in
Powernaut!  (Accepted by Powernaut 1968)

** Spider Spins:  LNH Wiki! (Accepted by Wikiboy)
                  .....oooooOOOOO(*)OOOOOooooo.....

Casey said, "Okay, I get their plan.  We'd better shut this down before
they get to the Super Wizard or the Goddess."

"... Goddess?"

"Yeah."  Casey looked around.  All the exit doors were guarded.  "I
think we might need that exit of yours...  Can we get a distraction?"

Across the table, the man sitting next to the lava lamp whispered.
"What're you looking at *me* for?"

"*You've* got the bright shiny power!"

A professorial-looking man at the table said, "Never mind him.  I've got
this one."  He got up, walked away from the table - then started
glowing.  Guards moved toward him.

"Ah, thank you, Easily Discovered Man," Casey whispered.  "Rachel, it's
time to call for your ride."

Rachel took out her whistle and blew it.

"You had to blow a whistle?"

"*That's what he gave me to call him!*"

Two Dorf guards held on to Easily Discovered Man, while others converged
on Rachel's table.  But a naked man stood up at the next table, and
exposed himself!  The guards stopped and gaped.  Casey said, "And thank
*you*, Nudist Man."

Suddenly a yellow stretch limo came from nowhere and plowed through that
group of guards!

Casey yelled, "Run for the taxi!"

Guards raised guns.  But the man by the lava lamp said, "Not this time!
  Not with the power of - LAVA LAMP!"  A giant glob formed between the
guards and Rachel's group, and absorbed gunfire as they piled in the limo.

At the podium, the lead Dorf smirked.  "Oh, did you say *power*?"  The
lava lamp started shaking.  Its holder dropped it just before it
exploded.  But he ducked inside the limo.

Sharon still stood outside.  Well, actually, she hovered.  One or two
force bolts bounced off her.  But she still dove inside the limo, and
slammed the door behind her.

Casey yelled at the driver, "Take off!"

"Right."  The limo screeched forward, and passed right through walls.
"Got a destination in mind?"

Rachel was looking out the window.  "We're being chased!"

Casey looked.  "Dorf battlewagons.  Bad sign."  He turned to the driver.
  "Where can you get us that's safe?"

"Aoh, the Higher Power in the coffee shop in Winnipeg should do."  He
swerved, and pressed a button.

Rachel said, "How are you getting us to Winnipeg?"

"Limo with a *magic* motor.  Think of it as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang if
it makes you feel better."  Now that Rachel had a chance to listen, the
car *did* sound like like it was saying something, only "Can'tbe Saxon
Brenton, Can'tbe Saxon Brenton..."

But one of the battlewagons had fired a missile.  It slammed into the limo.

Rachel shrieked, "Why aren't we dead?"

"Armor, miss."  But the driver was wildly turning the wheel.

They crashed.

---

They'd landed *inside* a brick building.  The car had landed on a big
shelf, overlooking a bar!  The driver said, "Aoh!  This isn't Winnipeg!"

Everyone below looked up - except for one guy at the bar.  He was
wearing a bandana, with a wide-brimmed hat slung on a strap over his
neck, typing at a computer.  He said in a shrugging tone of voice, "I
guess that's where they have to appear."

Above, Casey said, "Higher Power!  Yes!  But *is that it?*  Is *this*
the Higher Power you were aiming for?"

The driver said, "Not THE Higher Power.  Y'know, there's more than one.
  Good luck with *this* one.  Aoh, and your fare's been paid to here,
but I am *so off duty* now.  If you'd like to talk with me down there at
the bar, my name's Ron."  He climbed down from the shelf, walked to the
bar to the guy at the computer, and said, "Yah, we should introduce
ourselves."

The man at the computer shook hands.  "Okaay, I get it.  Hi, Ron.  I'm
Scott.  I guess *they* want to talk to me now."  He turned to the
curious barmaid.  "Yeah, they're with me.  I'm sure they'll clean up
their wreckage.  But it *does* look good with the design.  Especially
next to that wrecking ball."  Then he turned up to the shelf.  "You all
might as well come on down."

Obsessive Compulsive Boy jumped down first, drinking the last of his
Jolt City Cola. "Yay!  This has been so much like a video game but now
we've put in the special code and now everything is going to be fixed"

Casey said, "Oh, no!  Obsessive Compulsive Boy's current obsession with
soda has turned him into Attention Deficit Boy!"

Scott said, "Yeah, that's it..."

The boy continued.  "... so now we have to get these guys to call the
villains off because they must be the ones who sent them"

"Kid.  Shut.  Up."  Obsessive Compulsive Boy was invisibly forced away -
and around a corner!

The others gaped.  Casey said, "His compulsion power isn't working on
this guy!"

But Ron said, "And well it shouldn't.  This is a *bar*.  In this realm,
boys don't get to use their power in bars."

"Thank you, Ron."  Scott continued, and turned to the barmaid, "Ron will
need the 23-ounce Irish Death.  These others will share a sampler, plus
their own California Dreaming pizza."  The barmaid went off.

Ron said, "California Dreaming?"

"Hey, I don't name them, I just eat them.  *My* random pizza name for
the day is..."  Scott looked at his cell phone.  "One Eyed Monkey!"

Casey had looked dumfounded.  But he said, "I get it!  We've ascended to
The Writers!  The Ultimate Ninja's group did this and resolved the Beige
Midnight crisis..."  And he just kept talking.  He was obviously the
smartest one of this group, but even he was obviously stumped for the
moment.  So...

"Uh, hi, Scott. I'm Rachel."

Scott shook her hand and said, "So *you're* Rachel.  You have *so much*
to look forward to."

Casey said, "*Besides Rachel.*  What does *our group* have to look
forward to?"

"Heh.  My new friend Ron actually brought you to the right place."  Ron
grinned and gave a thumb up.  "You know those RACCies you left?  I'm *in
charge* this year."

"So *you* brought the Dorfs in?"

"Err, committee decision.  But I'm in charge of getting you out."

"What do we have to do?"

"Err... You came here for the power of the Writers, right?  I'd guess if
you eat of my food and drink of my drink, you'll get my power back where
you live.  At least that's what *I* come here to get."

Casey seemed indecisive.  But Rachel knew who was making the deals here.
  She said, "We're in."

"Great.  Here it comes."  The barmaid brought a wooden paddle holding
small glasses of beer, and a small pizza with six slices.  "Eat of this
fine food and drink these cups, and you shall have the same powers I
have here."

The man called Lava Lamp drank the nearest glass and devoured a slice
promptly.

Casey von Aluminumfoil said, "I suppose we must."  Then he drank and ate.

The old black guy said, "It seems I rode here in a taxi from Hell.
That's better than I deserve.  So I'll take it."  Then he drank and ate.

The hovering lady said, "*Another* world transit?  I'll definitely take
a beer now."  She drank and ate.

One other costumed guy had stuffed into the limo with them.  He said,
"I, Prince Charming, must insist the lady partake before me."

Rachel looked at him.  "You're *the* Prince Charming?"

"I am *a* Prince Charming.  Such is indeed my name.  I seem to have been
trapped here before I can rescue my Lady Fair trapped elsewhere.  Lady
Rachel, please do not delay to release us."

"Well, okay."  Rachel saw two little glasses of beer, of different
colors.  She drank the darkest and took a slice of pizza.

"Ah, you take the *powerful* draught!  I would expect *no less* from a
great woman like the one I love!"  Prince Charming took the yellow beer
and the last slice.

"Uh... I guess we're done, then.  What about the boy in the lobby?"

Scott said, "I think he'll join you on your way out."

Casey yelled, "Wait!  We've ascended to the realm of the Writers!  Is
this it?  Are you giving us anything *real* to take back?"

"Well, you do each have a bit of my power now.  I suppose that means you
can each have one Plot Device power back home."

Obsessive Compulsive Boy dashed in.  "I heard we all got power from The
Writer!  And he's writing us all at *that* computer so if I grab it we
can have *all* the power of the Writers -"  He climbed on a barstool and
grabbed for Scott's computer!

But Scott was holding on with one hand.  With his other, he raised a
piece of paper and said, "Err, no. Goodbye."

The visitors disappeared!  (art at
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/powernaut/RACCies_2012.png)

Scott turned to Ron and showed a drawing of seven heads disappearing in
a poof of smoke, and a computer pulled out.  "Fortunately I saw this
coming.  And I draw too...  I've got one more little pizza coming.  But
would you like one?"

"Long as you got me covered.  And more of this fine Irish Death."

"Uh, how you getting home?"

"The boss is sending a crew for me and the car."

"Okay.  Love the car.  Give me one ride sometime."

"Deal.  Here's a whistle."

---

The Dorf had strung up awardees like trophies *on* trophies, with
labels.  Since Rachel had left, there were...

                  .....oooooOOOOO(*)OOOOOooooo.....
** FAVORITE ONGOING SERIES (RACC2):  Correspondence With the Goddess!
(Accepted by The Goddess) - Lydia was hanging from a trophy!

** FAVORITE MINI-SERIES (RACC3):  TIE!  Beige Midnight (Accepted by
Ultimate Ninja) AND Ultimate Mercenary (Accepted by Ultimate Mercenary)!

** FAVORITE ARC (RACC4):  To Hell and Hell and Hell etc. ! (Accepted by
The Devil) - The sunburned client was hanging from a trophy!  ... What?
  *The* Devil?  HONORABLE MENTION:  The Last LNH Story!  (Accepted by
Tara Shreds)

** FAVORITE SINGLE ISSUE (RACC5):  Beige Midnight #12!  (Accepted by
Doctor Stomper)  HONORABLE MENTIONS:  System Corrupters #28 (Accepted by
Crossover Queen) AND Ultimate Mercenary #7 (Accepted by Masterplan Lad)!

** FAVORITE HERO/PROTAGONIST (RACC6):  Lydia Devin/The Goddess!   Lydia
was chained from her trophy to another one!  HONORABLE MENTION:  Kid
Enthusiastic!

** FAVORITE VILLAIN/ANTAGONIST (RACC7):  The Secret Living Language!
HONORABLE MENTION:  Vapid Veterinarian!

** FAVORITE SUPPORTING CHARACTER (RACC8):  Elana Devin!  HONORABLE
MENTION:  The Devil!  - The sunburned Devil guy from the one trophy was
chained to the bottom of this one!

** FAVORITE NEW CHARACTER (RACC9):  Lydia Devin/The Goddess!  Another
chain for Lydia!

** FAVORITE PARODY/COMEDY (RACC10):  Easily-Discovered Man!

** FAVORITE ACTION/ADVENTURE (RACC11):  The Super Wizard From Space!
HONORABLE MENTION:  Powernaut AND Beige Midnight (Accepted by Ultimate
Ninja)!

** FAVORITE DRAMA/ACRAPHOBE (RACC12):  Correspondence With the Goddess!
- One more chain for Lydia!  Was that four now?  HONORABLE MENTION:
ASH! (Accepted by Doctor Developer)
                  .....oooooOOOOO(*)OOOOOooooo.....

The Dorf Master kept speaking.  "And now we take the FINAL PRIZES!  We
Claim the Power of the Writers!"

                  .....oooooOOOOO(*)OOOOOooooo.....
** Johnny Sokko Loving Cup for the Missing:  Jaelle!  Honorable Mention:
  Jamie Rosen!

** Rabbit-Breeder's Cup for the Prolific:  Scott Eiler!  Rachel
recognized the picture of Scott the supposed Writer from the bar!

** FAVORITE PERSON WHO HANGS OUT ON RACC (RACC15):  TIE!  Adrian McClure
AND Andrew Perron!  Honorable Mentions:  Scott Eiler AND Rob Rogers!

** MOST IMPROVED WRITER (RACC18):  Scott Eiler!  Honorable Mention:  Wil
Alambre!

** FAVORITE NEW WRITER (RACC19):  Andrew Foltz!

** FAVORITE WRITER (RACC1):  Rob Rogers!  Honorable Mentions:  Wil
Alambre AND Andrew Foltz!
                  .....oooooOOOOO(*)OOOOOooooo.....

The Dorf Master proclaimed, "We know *these* trophies are empty, FOR
NOW.  But this ceremony will put even The Writers under our power!  The
Great Power of the Dorfs!"

---

Casey said, "Oh, this is about to get even *worse* than capturing The
Goddess.  It's time to use these Plot Device powers!"

The old black guy said, "Me first...  Powernaut!"  He was suddenly
beside the bow-tied costumed guy from earlier.  The restraints broke apart!

Powernaut said, "... Stonewater Smith?"

"Yeah, it's me.  Remember I did you right at the end."

Powernaut broke free, and smarted smashing the trophy which had captured
him!  The Ultimate Ninja and the Super Wizard From Space were free!

Rachel heard a voice behind her.  "Oooh, I want some of this action...
*Invincible* Lava Lamp!"  The broken lamp from earlier reassembled and
grew to table size.  Power things bolted it, but the bolts bounced off!

Casey said,  "This is getting out of control...  *Everyone Safe!*"  The
audience disappeared, and so did Obsessive Compulsive Boy.

Sharon yelled, "Real powers back!"  She glowed with energy, and flew
toward the stage to add to the chaos with the power objects and the
freed heroes.

Uh oh, the group was getting low on wishes.  Rachel hoped Prince
Charming had a good idea to end things...  The Prince proclaimed, "Off
to free my lady!"  He disappeared.

It was down to Rachel.  She had the last wish.  How could she save them
all?  But then she remembered her friends, in chains.  And she
remembered, the one guy had said to watch them.  So she said, "Lydia!"

Rachel was suddenly at Lydia's side, and the restraints around her
dissolved.  Lydia said, "Oh, you do not know what a right decision you
have made."

"Thank you!  How can we end this?"

"Err, *we* is the wrong word."  Lydia gestured.

---

"Oooh..."  Rachel woke up in her own bed.  She remembered Lydia in a
vivid dream.  Then she said...  "Prince Charming *and* an Invincible
Lava Lamp?"

                  .....oooooOOOOO(*)OOOOOooooo.....

Author's Notes:

Hi.  I'm Scott the Writer.  I get prizes for quality sometimes, and for
quantity often.  So the Internet group Rec.Arts.Comics.Creative has let
me write their awards ceremony this year.  I've promised to publish on
the weekend nearest May 1st.  To me, that means the weekend before, and
the Thursday before *that*.  Obsessive Compulsive Boy has met his match
in more ways than one.

Oooh, I've seen the results.  Truly it is a mixed blessing to see them
before everyone else and in detail, as tabulator Andrew Perron well
knows.  So I want people to know how many of these contestants could
have become the winner with just one vote in the opposite direction.
These are the Honorable Mentions.  It certainly made *me* feel better
about some of those contests when I saw them.

As for the ceremony...  I'm tired of writing new text stories for *my*
world.  I wanna play with everyone else's.  8{D>

By tradition, the RACCies ceremony is trans-universal.  All characters
are always used without restriction, in the understanding that their use
here does not affect their home storylines.  In that tradition I'm
trying to return the characters without harm, but I'm also
*incorporating* those storylines as much as feasible, so the story here
need not be ignored.  This is my fourth year as contributor to the
RACCies, and I've not ignored its story yet.  Not *entirely,* anyway.

This year, one awarded story had its characters ascend to meet the
Writers.  So the ceremony has done the same.  Oh, good luck this time.
I've always dreamed of a storyline like this for my own characters.
Oooh, someone else's have come to me!  Please don't think this is
pleasant from the Writer's point of view; it's more like running a help
desk.  But for putting up with it this time, I've got a ride to anywhere
fictional, thank you Ron the Taxi Driver from the Devil's Own Super
Wizard Hell!

Each Writer in the group was invited to submit a character to go on that
quest, or else have a character selected as randomly and haphazardly as
possible.  For my own character, I'd sworn to roll dice.  I swear, the
dice chose Stonewater Smith - even though he's starring in a Powernaut
comic *right now*.  And he *has* been in RACC stories before 2013,
though 2012 is an off year for him.  I had to decide:  Is he in his
youthful 1944 body, his heroic 1962 body, or a cursed old man who's
cranky like Internet Bill Cosby in 2011?  Based on what works for this
story, I'm declaring Cranky Old Guy!  And how exactly did he die?  He
*did* die; Satan dragged him out of Hell...  Oh, drama!  But his real
name is on record:  Matthew Smith of (North) St. Louis, Missouri!  And
he will say in some story, he betrayed all his friends!
http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2010/predecessors.htm

For what it's worth, the perfect Food of the Writers came to me on Pi
Day.  The Food of course is Pizza Pi.  So there.

---

Author credits:  The awardees in this ceremony are of course governed by
their respective creators.  But this story indulges in the use of the
following characters:

*  Sharpshooter, Rachel Hawkins, Elana Devin, and Lydia Devin are
characters of Andrew Foltz (mrnelson007).  Rachel is used by permission.
  She is a *future* character by the standards of
Rec.Arts.Comics.Creative in 2012.  But she's historic at
http://goddesscorrespondence.tumblr.com/ .  And she's come on the scope
in RACC 2013.

*  Anal-Retentive Analysis Kid II (not to be confused with
Anal-Retentive Analysis Kid) and No, It Can't Be Saxon Brenton, He's
Dead Kid are characters of Saxon Brenton.  You can blame the Dorf-run
ceremony on Saxon too.  The concept came up at RACC-Con last year.

*  The Devil (Diabolical Devilman), the Super Wizard From Space, and Ron
the Driver from Hell are characters of Wil Alambre.  http://wil.alambre.ca/

*  TerraStar and Sharon Venturi are copyright (c) 2012 by Dave Van
Domelen.  Sharon may be derived from some other character, but she's of
course different because she *hovers*.  8{D>

*  I would imagine Chevalier and this particular Prince Charming are
copyright (c) 2013 by Darryl Hughes and Monique MacNaughton.
http://www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/chev/

*  Obsessive Compulsive Boy is a character of Mitchell Crouch and is
used by permission.  His power is to whine until grownups do his
bidding.  Too bad that aside from one waitress, all the grown targets
were immune, huh?

*  Casey von Aluminumfoil is a character of Andrew Perron and is used by
permission.  His powers are telepathy and limited precognition.  We may
safely assume he was using those powers throughout the adventure to
understand things, quietly so as not to be swatted.

*  Lava Lamp is a character of Arthur Spitzer.  He's kind of like Green
Lantern, only with a lava lamp.  And thanks for having your LNH
characters in a list so I could pick this one at random.
http://lnhq.info/wiki/Arthur_Spitzer

*  Easily-Discovered Man is a character of Rob Rogers.

*  Nudist Man is a Tom Russell character.  Or maybe vice versa.  :)

*  Kid Kirby is a character of Jameel al Khafiz.

*  The Ultimate Ninja is a character of wReam.

*  The Dorfs are characters of John C. Daiker.

*  The Powernaut, Wyatt Ferguson, Ellipsis, and Stonewater Smith are
copyright (c) 2013 by Eiler Technical Enterprises (Eilertech), as is
this story.  Eilertech hereby grants free universal reproduction rights
for this story, provided author credits are maintained and
Rec.Arts.Comics.Creative (RACC) is mentioned.  http://www.eilertech.com/

---

Personal Note:  The Powernaut *almost* winning, I understand.  But *I*
almost won WHAT?  I wasn't even *trying* for Mr. Congeniality!  Uh, thanks!

(signed) Scott Eiler, 25 April 2013

I know. - Archie Andrews