LNH: Beige Midnight #12: 'The Last LNH Story' (2/3)

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 25 20:58:58 PDT 2012

Part II

The Writer looked at the keyboard.  Maybe he should call it a day.  He
obviously wasn't going to get anymore writing done today.  Just watch TV
or something.  Maybe he'll have better luck tomorrow.

He saved what he had written and started to leave his chair when he
heard a knocking.  Well, more like a violent pounding on his door.

Christ!  Who was that, he thought leaving his chair.  Probably some jerk
selling some crap.  He thought about ignoring it, but the pounding kept
getting louder and louder.  Who was this asshole?  And so he opened the
door.

And saw a very tall man dressed in a ninja suit.  A very angry man in a
ninja costume.  Oh, God, he thought backing away from the door.  The
Ninja guy walked right in and there were various other people in
costumes behind him.

"Look," said the Writer grabbing his phone.  "I don't know who you
people are..."

"You should," said the Ninja.  "You're the one writing us.  Aren't you?"

The Writer shook his head.  "No.  There's no way.  No, you can't be --
you can't be him.  You just can't be.  He -- he doesn't exist!  This is
not happening!"

"I'd say it is," said the Ultimate Ninja grabbing the phone from the
Writer's hand and crushing it with ease using his ninja phone crushing
abilities.

More very fit guys and girls in very tight spandex suits started to
flood the room.  "No!  You can't all fit in here!  It's a studio apartment!"

And a man -- or being crackling with cosmic energy attached a mechanical
device to one of the walls and pushed a button.  "There -- that should
increase capacity for your dwelling!"  The Writer's studio apartment
began to increase to the size of a High School Gymnasium as Kid Kirby's
device pulsed away.

The Writer looked at his apartment.  "Wow!  That's a neat trick.  Or a
sign that I've lost my mind perhaps."

"You're the one?  You're responsible for all this?!"  It was a rather
ordinary looking woman dressed in normal people clothes who pointed her
finger accusingly at the Writer.  Must be Tara Shreds, thought the
Writer.  "Do you think it's funny?  Funny giving people cancer?"

"Umm..." the Writer started to say.  But before he could finish a very
strong hand picked him up by his shirt.  It was a costumed man covered
in very, very scary creatures.  Very, very disturbed scary creatures.

"Are you the scumbag who fragged my pal -- the Gothic Gorilla?!  Are
you!!?"  The Very Disturbed Scary Creature Man gazed into the Writer's eyes.

"Urk!" said the Writer.  "Gothic Gorilla?  Um -- let's see here.   That
wasn't me!  Honest!  I wasn't the one who came up with that idea -- no
I'm pretty sure it was either Saxon or Rob.  Yeah, one of them.  Honest!
  Look -- if you put me down I can get you Rob Rogers's home address and..."

"Put him down," said the Ultimate Ninja although not because he wanted
Rob Rogers's address.  "We have much bigger things to deal with right
now.  Much bigger."

A man wearing a labcoat and a very intellectual look on his face started
playing around with the Writer's remote control and clicked on his TV
set.  "It's already here," said Dr. Stomper.  "I was afraid this might
happen."

"Wait, what's happening?  What's...?"  And the Writer looked at the TV
screen.  It was some breaking news story.  There was something happening
in New York City.  It was a tower.  A Beige Clocktower.  It had
mysteriously appeared right on Ground Zero.  Anderson Cooper along with
various other reporters and people were reporting this news.  "My God.
That's -- wait a sec, Anderson Cooper?  I don't get cable anymore!"

"I modified your remote a bit," explained Dr. Stomper.  "But this is
happening.  The Beige Clocktower has broken the Fourth Wall and is now
in your world.  I'm afraid all of the Fourth Wall and metatext abuse has
caused a cascade effect.  Reality and Fiction are beginning to merge.
If we don't solve this problem soon -- the Clocktower and the Bryttles
will destroy all of Reality -- not just the Looniverse."

The Writer shook his head.  "No.  That's all a bunch of nonsense.  This
can't be happening.  No.  It's not happening!  This has to be a dream.
That's the only explanation that makes any sense.  Yeah, a dream.  A
dream. This is all a dream.  Just need to wake up and..."

The Ultimate Ninja picked the Writer up by the shirt and slammed him
against a wall.  "Does this feel like a dream!?"

"Urrggh.  Well, when you put it that way..."

The Ultimate Ninja looked into the Writer's eyes.  "You need to finish
Beige Midnight #12.  Find a way to stop the Bryttles with no one else
dying.  No one!"

The Ultimate Ninja dropped the Writer down.  The Writer backed slightly
away.  "Believe me -- I'm trying my hardest to finish this thing, but --
no death?  I can't work that way.  There's got to be some death --
otherwise it's not going to be meaningful in any way.  There has to be
some death to give this story any weight.  If I kill no one it will just
be a big cheat.  A big..."

The Ultimate Ninja's eyes kept their piercing gaze into the Writer's
face.  "I don't care.  I don't care if your stupid story doesn't win a
RACCie.  I don't care if everyone hates it -- thinks it's the worst
thing ever to be posted to RACC.  I don't care.  You're going to write a
story that ends the menace of the Bryttles and you're going to do it in
a way that doesn't kill anymore LNH'rs.  Got that?"

The Writer gulped.  "Well, okay.  But I can't really work like this --
with all these heroes and a homicidal ninja looking over my shoulder.
Look if you all just leave me alone, I'll happily finish Beige Midnight
just like that and..."

The Ultimate Ninja took out his Ginsu Katana and began testing its
sharpness.  "No.  We're not going anywhere till this story is finished.
  Now -- finish it."

The Writer raised his hands in protest.  "I'm sorry but I just can't
work like this.  Look if you just leave for a..."

"New York's sky is becoming Beige," said Dr. Stomper still watching the
news.  "We don't have much time!"

"Well, I guess we'll have to finish it ourselves," said Ultimate Ninja.

"What?" said the Writer.  "You can't write -- you're fictional characters!"

"Just watch us," said the Ultimate Ninja.

"Ooh!  Ooh!  Me!  Me!  Let me do it!  Let me finish Beige Midnight!"
said Writers Block Woman hopping right onto the chair near the Writer's
computer.

Writers Block Woman's daughter Mouse just tried to hide her face with
her hands.  Oh lord.  Why does this always happen, she thought to herself.

Writers Block Woman's hands were in typing position and she looked
straight into the computer screen.  And the rest of the LNH and The
Writer looked at Writers Block Woman.  And everyone waited for Writers
Block Woman to start writing something -- anything.  And they waited.

And finally the Ultimate Ninja said, "Well?"

"I don't know," said Writers Block Woman.  "It's weird.  It's like there
is some powerful force blocking my writing abilities.  I'm not sure
what's going..."

"Come on, Mum," said Mouse grabbing her mother by the arm.  "Let's leave
this Beige Midnight finishing to others.  I think the best thing we can
probably do right now to save the world is -- umm -- shopping.  Yes,
shopping.  We need to go shopping!"  Mouse knew that getting her mother
as far away from here as possible was probably the best thing to do if
they ever wanted to get Beige Midnight finished.

"But the story!" said Writers Block Woman resisting her daughters
attempt to get her out of the apartment.  "UN?" she said looking at the
Ultimate Ninja.

The Ultimate Ninja gave a nod.  "Your daughter is right.  Shopping is
the best thing you could do for us right now."

"Well, if you're sure."  And then Writers Block Woman thought about
shopping.  "Ooh!  This is Arizona, right?  We can buy Navajo Rugs!
Kachina Dolls!  Cacti!  Cowboy Boots and Spurs!  And Sombrero Hats!
Sombrero Hats for everyone!!"

"Yes, yes," said Mouse attempting to shove her mother out of the apartment.

And suddenly an idea popped into Writers Block Woman's head.  "Wait!
Shopping!  Of course!  That's how we'll defeat the Bryttles!  We'll show
them how much fun shopping is -- much more fun than destroying
Looniverses!  We can..."

Mouse using all her Mouse strength finally succeeded in pushing her
mother outside the door.  And then she quickly slammed the door shut.

With the two of them finally gone Spelling Boy made his way toward the
keyboard.  "It's my turn.  Finally!  An LNH story where all of the words
-- *All of the words* are spelled correctly!!"

But Grammer Lad also grabbed the keyboard.  "No, I will finish this
story so that there will finally be an LNH story that has perfect grammar!!"

"Enough!" said the Ultimate Ninja taking the keyboard away from them.
"I'll do it!"

"Oh, great!" said Spelling Boy rolling his eyes.  "Now both the spelling
and grammar will totally suck!"

Ignoring that comment, the Ultimate Ninja sat himself down and began to
type using his ninja typing skills.

"You know -- if you actually used all your fingers you could type
faster," pointed out Impatient Lad.

The Ultimate Ninja also ignored that comment and continued to type.

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

April 29th, 2008 --

"Well," said the Ultimate Ninja looking at the blue sky that had
returned after vanquishing both the Bryttle Brothers and the Beige Clock
Tower.  "That's that.  Beige Midnight is finally over with.  Thanks to
the LNH.  You all did your part."  The Ultimate Ninja looked at his
fellow LNH members with approval and opened the box of victory cigars.

"You're being too modest," said Sarcastic Lad without a hint of sarcasm
in his voice.  "What you did today was amazing.  We couldn't have
possibly defeated the Bryttles without your brilliant leadership.  It
was just -- amazing!"

"I know," nodded the Ultimate Ninja.  "But we can never ever let the
Readers know how we defeated the Bryttle Brothers.  It must always be a
secret.  A secret that can never ever be known!"

"Right," said Sarcastic Lad.  "I just wanted you to know that I'm really
sorry for all of that nasty stuff I've said about you in the past.  All
those very moronic jokes that didn't have an ounce of wit.  I guess I've
always been jealous of you.  Your great looks, great intelligence, and
incredible sexiness.  I just wanted you to know that."

"I accept your apology, Sarcastic Lad."

"And I'd like to apologize too," said the invisible presence of the
Invisible Incendiary -- also without a hint of sarcasm.  "All those mean
pranks I pulled on you.  I guess I was jealous too.  Jealous of your
complete awesomeness.  Jealous of your ninja abilities.  I just want to
tell you how sorry I am -- and hope you can forgive me."

"I absolve you," said the Ultimate Ninja with a very understanding look
on his face.

"Hey, I've got an idea," said the Invisible Incendiary.  "As a way of
honoring you for saving the Looniverse and all of us how about we name
this day -- 'Ultimate Ninja Appreciation Day'!"

And the rest of the LNH cheered at this obviously wonderful idea.  And
although the Ultimate Ninja protested at first, he eventually gave in
knowing that honoring him would make his fellow LNH'rs happy.  And who
was he to stop this happiness?

And so this day that the Ultimate Ninja (and the LNH) defeated the
Bryttle Brothers was named 'Ultimate Ninja Appreciation Day'.  And
everyone was happy.

Well happy on 'Ultimate Ninja Appreciation Day' at least.

The End.

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

"There," said the Ultimate Ninja.  "It's finished.  Beige Midnight is
finally finished."

"Hmm," said Captain Continuity.  "I suppose that works.  Still, I do
sense a continuity error in it.  You ignored the part involving Cannon
Fodder in LNHCP #500 where Bart abducts him to the future where the
Bryttles have destroyed the Loonivearth.  And the part with the
Looniversal Answering Machine.  You never explained how this alternate
future works in relationship with the alternate Looniverse that
Occultism Kid put us on."

"That's the only error you see?  Really?" said Invisible Incendiary.
"Not say the one where both Sarcastic Lad and me apparently have been
given severe lobotomies?  You didn't see that one?"

"Well," said the Ultimate Ninja.  "If you want to explain that alternate
future nonsense -- be my guest."

"Okay," said Captain Continuity hopping onto the Writer Chair.  And
Captain Continuity began to type.

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

And the LNH realized that even though they had defeated the Bryttle
Brothers that if they didn't give an explanation about the alternate
future that Bart had snatched Cannon Fodder (along with the rest of the
LNH) and how it related to the alternate Looniverse that Occultism Kid
had created the whole thing might completely unravel into utter chaos.

And so they came up with a plan.  A plan to create a completely fake
version of the Loonivearth System.  They would first move the current
Loonivearth System -- with its Sun, planets, asteroids, comets, and
everything else -- even the smallest speck of dust -- to a new location.
  Captain Continuity wrapped the entire System with a Continuity cocoon
and with the help of Kid Kirby pushed the System in a completely new
location.

And then Dr. Stomper with help from the likes of Particle Man and Kid
Kirby made a machine.  The System Duplicate Machine.  The Machine
generated a complete duplicate of the Loonivearth System even the Sun,
but altered the look of everything so that it was decayed and
discolored.  So everything was Beige.  And the light of the Sun gave
everything a beige type look.  And then robo-duplicates of Dekay and
Diskolor were created.  And a duplicate of the Beige Clocktower was also
created.  And so was a duplicate of the Looniversal Answering Machine.
And they bound it in chains.

And they made Net.ropolis look exactly how it had looked when they had
seen it that time.

And Kid Kirby twisted the temporal matrix of the fake Loonivearth so
that when Bart did time travel to the future -- this would be the future
he saw.

And this fake Loonivearth waited for the year 2092 when Bart would
finally come.

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

"And Done!" said Captain Continuity after he had finished his part.

"Thrilling stuff," said Sarcastic Lad.  "Not as good as 'Ultimate Ninja
Appreciation Day' where Ninj was undoubtedly being possessed by the
ghost of Shakespeare when he scribed that gem."

And after a number of rewrites and arguments about proper
characterization, the LNH printed out a copy of this finished Beige
Midnight and gave it to the Writer.

"Well," said the Ultimate Ninja.  "What do you think?"

The Writer looked at the pages.  "This is awful..."  And then he noticed
the Ninja's Katana was close to his face.  "Awfully good!  Well, I guess
you all can leave.  I'll just post this to RACC and..."

"You do that," said Ultimate Ninja with the Katana still close to the
Writer's face.  "And I want you to remember one thing -- and tell all of
your LNH Writer buddies this too.  Never ever try to kill the LNH --
Never!  Because if you should ever try that -- I'll be back.  And it
won't be a friendly visit like this one.  Understand?"

"Oh, definitely!" said the Writer nodding.  "Well, hope you have a good
trip back.  Been great meeting you.  So long!"  The Writer helpfully
pointed to the door.

And the LNH finally left the Writer's apartment.

And the Writer looked at the pages he had been given and sighed.  And
then he noticed everything around him seemed to be beiger.

Where had the color gone?

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

April 29th, 2008 --
The Alternate Looniverse that Occultism Kid placed all of the Innocent
Bystanders and Everyone else that wasn't the Bryttle Brothers (Well,
let's just call it Looniverse Classic) --

And the Ultimate Ninja [Who was a completely different one from the one
we've seen in most of this story -- although who is the younger version
of the 2012 version we saw at the beginning of the story -- get that? --
Footnote Girl] along with a number of other LNH'rs were staring at a
large screen -- a large screen that showed another Alternate LNH in
another Alternate Looniverse who were also all looking at a screen that
showed another Alternate LNH in another Alternate Looniverse.  And these
Alternate LNHs looking at Alternate Looniverses went on for countless
and countless times until you finally got to an Alternate Looniverse
that was looking at a screen that had the Alternate Looniverse with the
Bryttle Brothers on it.

But back to the first Alternate Looniverse (Looniverse Classic), the LNH
was watching the screen.

"This is it?  This is how Beige Midnight ends?" said the Ultimate Ninja.
  "Us looking at some Alternate version of ourselves who's also looking
at another Alternate version of ourselves?  This is the ending we waited
for?  Do we even know if that LNH beat the Bryttles?"

Occultism Kid shook his head.  "We can never know what really happened
on that Looniverse (let's call it Looniverse Beige).  Even if we sent a
message to there our own Looniverse would probably be dead by natural
causes before it reached.  Maybe the LNH found a way to defeat them.  Or
maybe they died and the Bryttles are still heading this way.  Who knows."

The Ultimate Ninja looked at his own alternate version.  "And what about
all of these Alternate Looniverses in between?  What happens to them?
Can we trust them?"

Occultism Kid watched his own version talking to the alternate Ultimate
Ninja.  "They're us.  If anyone from that Looniverse we're watching were
to hop to our Looniverse they'd just merge with the version of
themselves.  As for what happens to them?  Who knows.  I guess with no
villains to cause problems and no innocent bystanders to save life will
be pretty easy for them."

The Ultimate Ninja looked at Occultism Kid.  "Utopia?"

"Maybe.  Well at least until their Bad Judgment Boy turns the their
WikiBoy into a nearly omnipotent serial killer."

"Hey!" said Bad Judgment Boy with a hurt look on his face.  "I only did
that two times.  Well, okay three."

"So, is this it?" said Ultimate Ninja.

"I hope so," said Occultism Kid.

And Fearless Leader looked at his own alternate version.  His Alternate
version had his arm around the shoulder of the Alternate Tara Shreds.
He couldn't see their faces as they both were looking at their own
Alternate screen.  "Need to check on something," he said to the Ultimate
Ninja.

The Ultimate Ninja made a nod.

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

As Fearless Leader walked through the lobby, he heard the LNH
receptionist, Kyoko Ishikawa, call his name.  "Yes?" he said walking
over to her.

"There's a message for you.  From Tara Shreds."  Kyoko handed him an
envelope.

"Thanks," said Fearless Leader as he opened the envelope up and began to
read it.

After a few minutes of reading, he took the letter and folded it up and
put it into one of his pockets.  Whatever happiness he'd had seemed to
disappear from his face.

"Is it bad news?" asked Kyoko.

"She's leaving the LNH.  And Net.ropolis.  Having her stuff moved out.
She's saying goodbye."

"I'm -- I'm sorry."

"She's had a rough year.  Maybe she needs some -- I don't know.  Hope
she finds some happiness out there.  Hope she finds something."

Kyoko nodded her head.  And Fearless Leader started to head back to the
Big Screen Room.  And then he stopped and turned around.  "Kyoko?"

"Yes, sir?"

"Could you tell UN that I'm going on a leave of absence?"

"You are?  How long?"

"A month or so."

And with that said Fearless Leader walked out of the LNHHQ.

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

September 2012 --

And he woke up.

The Writer woke up.

It was all a dream.  All of the colors were back.

Of course.  He grabbed his TV remote and clicked his TV on.  No news
stories about a Beige Clocktower in New York City.  No Anderson Cooper.
  Just a dream.

A stupid dream.

Still have that damn story to write.  Got to finish it.

He walked over to his computer.  Did he leave his computer on?  Oh,
there it was.  Beige Midnight.  Still unfinished.  He started to scroll
down.  Weird.  This was strange.  Had he written that part?  Must have.
  Just forgot about it.  Yeah, that must be it.  The whole thing looked
finished.  He could probably post it like this.

Still the whole thing looked awful.  There was no explanation about how
the LNH had defeated the Bryttles.  And he couldn't think of anything.
Anything good.

Maybe it didn't matter.  He was getting sick of this whole damn story.
Just post it and...

And then in a flash it occurred to him.  A brilliant paragraph that
would explain everything.  Make everything meaningful.  Make this whole
long wait for this issue worthwhile.  Make this the best story ever (and
obviously win the RACCie for Best issue).  And all he had to write was
this one paragraph.  Just one paragraph.

And so he put his fingers on the keys and prepared to write this
paragraph.  This paragraph that would change the art of fiction and
perhaps the entire world.  Change everything.

But before he could do that his pinky accidentally hit the 'Post to
RACC' key.

And he posted Beige Midnight #12 (both parts -- Damn that 'Post to RACC'
key!) without ever getting a chance to put in the paragraph that would
have made this whole story worthwhile.

"Whoops!  Damn, didn't mean to do that.  Oh, well.  That's that then.
Guess I'll just have to live with the inferior version that got posted
to RACC."  The Writer looked at his watch.  "Oh, the time.  TV watching
time."

He turned his computer off.  And walked over to his bed and clicked on
his TV.

And didn't notice the empty can of Mr. Paprika by his computer.  Or the
spandex clad man lying lethargically next to it.  A man with a very
apathetic expression on his face.  A very super apathetic expression at
that.

"Feh."

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

September 26th, 2012 --
The Waiting For Beige Midnight #12 to get posted Room --

"And another censored part -- and oh, here we are again," said
Mult-Tasking Man as he read through Beige Midnight #12.

"That's it?" said the Ultimate Ninja.  "That's Beige Midnight #12?  And
most of it censored?  Why?"

"I don't know," said Occultism Kid.  "Maybe it was stuff that the
Writers didn't think fictional characters like us could handle."

"Or maybe there was a lot of freaky sex stuff," theorized Theory Man.

"So are there any signs of the Bryttles?  Any?  Or any other Beige
Midnight stuff?" asked the Ultimate Ninja.

Multi-Tasking Man shook his head.  "Everything looks clear.  No signs.
Doesn't look like we have to worry about anything.  Oh wait.  The
Emergency light came on!"

"Well?" said the Ultimate Ninja.

"It's outside the LNHHQ!  A hostage situation!" said Multi-Tasking Man
while he played Net.Trek.

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

The LNH hit the spotlight on the man.

It was some crazed man with a bomb strapped to him.  And he was
surrounded by terrified children who also had bombs strapped to them.
In his hand was a hand controlled bomb.button.thingee.  And his thumb
was close to the button.  Very close.

"You!  I am from the
LNH-Readers-Who-Are-Sick-To-Death-With-These-Damn-Neverending-Events-Liberation
Front!  You all had your chance -- but you failed.  Failed to stop Beige
Midnight!  Now I'm taking matters into my own hands.  You see these
kids?  If you don't do everything within your power to end Beige
Midnight right now -- right this minute -- then I'm going to end these
kids.  End them all!  Comprende?"

"The last issue of Beige Midnight was posted 15 minutes ago," said the
Ultimate Ninja.  "It already is over."

"Really?  It is?  It's over?" said the member of the
LNH-Readers-Who-Are-Sick-To-Death-With-These-Damn-Neverending-Events-Liberation
Front who now had a very sheepish look on his face.  "Well, this is kind
of awkward.  Well, jeez -- Hmm.  Hey, can we just pretend this little
incident never happened.  What do you say?"

                      **** <<--BM-->> ****

And somewhere countless Alternate Looniverses away...

There was team.  A team called the LNH.

There were two cosmic beings of unimaginable power.  Dekay and Diskolor.

There was a battle.  The final battle.

And against all odds the LNH won.  They beat the Bryttles.  Even though
it seemed completely impossible -- they did it.  And the Beige Sky
became Blue.  And no one died.  Not even Cannon Fodder.

And afterwards they broke the chains.  The chains that bound them to the
Writers.  No more would they be slaves forced to amuse Readers.  They
were free.  They were all free.

And with all the villains, innocent bystanders, Writers, and Readers
finally gone -- they were free to do what they wanted.

They could carve out their own destinies.  Write their own lives.  Dream
their own dreams.

And did they all have happy endings?  Or did it all eventually go to
hell?  Or a little bit of both?

We'll never know.  We can never know.

(But Irony Man did become Catalyst Lass's butler -- that definitely
happened.  Just so you know.)

There was a story.

                      'The Last LNH Story'

       (Well, at least till the next one comes along...)

                   (And the one after that...)