[MISC] Correspondence With the Goddess #1: An Introduction

mrnelson007 at gmail.com mrnelson007 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 23:12:47 PDT 2012

Hello, everyone.  While I've never posted here before, I was encouraged to do so by Andrew Perron and Adrian McClure, who seem to think that you all would appreciate what I've got going on here. So, if it turns out you don't, I strongly encourage you to blame them. :)

I am including the short introduction here, and if you all decide you are interested, I'd be happy to post the ongoing sections as I finish them.  Or, alternatively, you can check it out at http://goddesscorrespondence.tumblr.com

At any rate, without further ado, I hope you'll enjoy my current ongoing story, "Correspondence With The Goddess".

I’m not the star of the show here, so I won’t say a lot. I just wanted to offer up fair warning. Lydia is a bit of a downer. It occurs to me that this is probably not news to any of you who remember, but nevertheless I feel it should be said. We’re trying to work on that, I promise, but please bear with her. I suppose you don’t have much of a choice, but extending the effort would mean a lot. To both of us. She’s got a lot on her mind and I want to help her. I’m sure you do too. You’ve been through a lot, and I know there are hard feelings. It’s understandable. Some of you may also still be experiencing some side effects from everything. Minor tingling, maybe a headache or a bloody nose. Try not to worry about that too much. It will probably go away in time. I’m pretty sure that’s the best Lydia can do, though, at least right now. Reconstituting the entire universe from the molecular level is bound to leave a couple of mistakes. If there are any issues beyond that, please drop us a letter and I’ll get her to take care of it for you. Beyond that, please, just give her a chance, okay? I think we can all learn something from this. We’ll work together to make it better for next time.

- Elana

I’m not going to bother with an introduction. You all know who I am. Lydia Devin. What else needs to be said? Just the one word conjures up the fear and anger and the memories. For those of you who remember, anyway. I know. I can feel it. This is not me trying to show off, or lord over you. I’m done with those things. Yeah, I know. Fucking bullshit. Even as I write this now, in your past, I know that’s exactly what you’re thinking when you read it, in your present. I know what you had for breakfast this morning. I know everything about you. But you already knew that I knew that. So this introduction is all a pointless exercise, like I said originally.

So what is this? Good question. This is what Elana said I should do. She thinks it will help you understand. Oh, right. Elana is my sister. You don’t know her, but she’s the only reason that any of you are even still out there to read this. But I’ll get to that later. Still, you should all drop down and thank her for that. She can’t hear you, but I can, and I’ll make sure she gets the message. Then again, she doesn’t need all that praise. Her ego doesn’t need the attention like mine does. She’s pretty much an angel all the way to the core. We’re twins but we’re not alike at all. Go figure.

“Gee, Lydia, Elana sounds a lot cooler than you, how come you became the omnipotent manipulator of all existence instead of her?” Also a good question. And the answer there is I’m not sure. But I don’t think Elana would have wanted it the way I did. Actually, I know she wouldn’t have. But I’m getting ahead of myself again. So let me just start before I get sidetracked.

It all started mundanely enough. It started with a headache. Well, no. That’s not really true either. That’s when the immediately relevant bit starts, but we should go back before then. So like I mentioned, we’re twins. We grew up together until we were 6. I still remember, actually. Mom & dad told us about the divorce at our 6th birthday party. Happy birthday us! Ugh.

Anyway, we got split up with the divorce. I went with dad and Elana went with mom. And maybe that’s when things actually started. Dad was a fairly successful advertising executive. Long story short, he was never home but I always had all the cool shiny toys I wanted, and, yeah. I was spoiled rotten. I admit it. Also a huge bitch for a while. But somehow I’m guessing you all knew that part.

Meanwhile, I guess mom basically just had the child support to run on. That’s how Elana tells it, anyway. And don’t think that was a lot - Dad had a good lawyer. I know Elana never had an iPhone or anything, poor girl! Hm. Was it the tech that did it? …no, that doesn’t sound quite right. I honestly just can’t put my finger on what it was. I mean genetically we’re the same so why…?

Sorry. Just lost in thought again. Anyway. We didn’t see each other much for a while after that. Mostly just on birthdays when they would get us back together. And it definitely wasn’t even slightly a reminder of the miserable 6th birthday we had or anything, no way. Looking back on it now, I’m pretty sure Elana wasn’t even getting anything nice for her birthday from mom because mom always wanted to do right by me since she never saw me. But that might be my fault too. There was definitely a tantrum involved at birthday 7 because she didn’t get me neat things like dad. Ugh. Seriously, the more I think about this the more I hate past me. And I’m sorry to say I didn’t get better for a while.

This next bit is probably going to set off your bullshit alarm again. Don’t believe me if you want, I don’t care. I’m not expecting you to feel bad for me. I sure as fuck don’t deserve it. But you can feel bad for Elana. So, both of our parents are dead. Mom got breast cancer. Dad got drunk and hit by a taxi. So we were on our own. We got put back together at the orphanage for a year until we were old enough for Dad’s trust fund to get us out of there. Elana got into Cornell. I moped around our apartment and sat on my ass like the lazy bitch I was. Basically, Elana is all I have left, and if I lose her again you all are going to fucking regret it. Each and every one of you is going to wish that I had never fixed things from last-

Shit, there I go. Alright, I’m going to stop here for now before I make something go supernova. This is how it’s going to work. I can’t come talk to you directly thanks to the whole “impossible cosmic powers” and “overwhelmingly glorious presence” shit, so we’re coming up with an alternate solution. Thanks to the magical powers of the internet, you can leave me comments and ask questions and I’ll answer them. If I feel like it. Yes, I could just read your minds and tell you directly, but I’m trying to at least give you all a bit of dignity in this whole situation. Also, I’d really rather not poke around in your brains too much. Your thoughts are pretty gross. Hell, if you wanted to you could ask Elana, but I have no idea why. She’s kind of boring, really. And I’ll write some more about that headache when I feel up to it. For now, I’m done. I have a universe to run.

- Lydia