SW10/PRECOG: Powernaut 1944 (Re: LNH20: Bite-Size Tales of the LNH v20 #7: "First Republic")

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu May 3 02:23:38 PDT 2012

On Thu, 3 May 2012 01:55:55 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> On 5/2/2012 3:44 PM, Adrian J. McClure wrote:
>
>>> Oooh.  As it happens, Powernaut 1944 is coming on the scopes - and
>>> it has room for guest stars!  Just one question for Doc Nostalgia
>>> 1944: How good is he at surviving a hail of bullets from the
>>> Waffen-SS?
>  >
>> Well, if he's like Golden Age Superman than he can't be penetrated by
>> anything short of a bursting shell, so.
>
> Ah, I see what the LNH Wiki says about him.  But *that* leads to the
> obvious next question.  How come he didn't win the war in 1943?

I just figure there were a lot of superhumans on *both* sides.  I don't
remember which setting it had that had superhuman battles as a "third
front" - probably ASH - but prolly something like that.  Maybe with some
layer of clever metafiction, y'know?

> In fairness, I can volunteer a couple of answers...
>
> 1.  It usually requires control of territory to win a war.  As shown in
> Powernaut 1941, it usually requires more than one man to control territory.

There's definitely that.

> 2.  Maybe Our Hero is the reason the war didn't last until 1946.

Yeah, that too.  Battling Baron von
21st-Century-Culture-Needs-To-Stop-Associating-All-Germans-With-Nazis-Already.

> As we've seen, the Powernaut's history is a very loose thing.  There's
> no reason he can't team up with anyone from any universe, no background
> questions asked.

Woo!

> (For instance, Doc Nostalgia gets "LNH", or is it
> "LNH20"?)

Definitely LNH20.  And Adrian's the creator there.

>  Just point me at answers to these questions:

Meanwhile, for my character, I'm-a go with the Classic LNH, and with a
character I already had show up in a World War II story: the immortal
statue, brought to life by magic, known to classics students the world over
as Galatea: http://www.lnhq.info/wiki/Galatea

> 1.  How's he dress for battle?

In something a few decades and/or centuries out of date.

> 2.  What are his powers?

Immortality, indestructibility, and thousands of years' worth of knowledge,
probably including mystic skills and how to operate every machine under the
sun.

> 3.  How does he react to a hail of gunfire from the Waffen-SS?

T'would simply bounce off!

> 4.  How does he not win the war by 1943?

Well, it takes a while for her to get involved - when you're thousands of
years old, you no longer feel like leaping in every time they decide to
hold a shindig, you know?  Plus, her powers are relatively passive.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, time to make pancakes.