LNH: 20th Anniversary Special, Part #1

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 19:33:11 PDT 2012

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 07:04:43 +0000 (UTC), Arthur Spitzer wrote:

> We have on one side of the spectrum a writer who participated
> in the first LNH cascade way back in 1992.  And we have another who
> wrote his first LNH story just last year.

And it's so, SO awesome that the latter exists and the former still cares.
You guys rock.

> DAVE VAN DOMELEN
<snip>
>       I wasn't part of the first batch of LNHers, but I was part of the
> first group to take it seriously...and by that I mean the first group to
> see it as something that might be worth putting more than a few minutes'
> effort into, something that might last more than a few weeks.  Scav,
> Jameel, wReam and the dozen or so others who took another group's
> short-lived gag and turned it into something more enduring and more
> involved than most of the professional superhero universes.

Seriously.  Certainly longer-lived than any professional '90s superhero
universe other than Image.

>       And who knows?  I've dipped my toe into the LNH20 revival, I might
> find myself getting more deeply involved at some point.  I've revisited
> the old Dvandom Force characters a few times since #100, albeit in odd
> sideways fashion, I could certainly do it again.

I sure hope so.  Or new ones, that works too!

> SAXON BRENTON
<snip>
>       And why is this important?  Well, because of another little
> factoid.  There's a phenomenon among bibliophiles of dreaming while
> asleep of finding a rare book.  I do not say 'purported phenomenon',
> because I have experienced it.  A small handful of times I've had dreams
> like that.  Of finding some lost comic book.  Not colour comic books -
> whether some classic story that I missed because I grew up in the
> country and didn't have access to speciality comic stores, nor even some
> mint copy of an old and tattered favourite like the _X-Men/Teen Titans_
> crossover.  I've dreamt of finding one of those cheaply printed black
> and white reprints.

Awwwwwww. ^.^ Makes sense.  I've often dreamt of finding or getting rare
and personally valuable items.

>       I once read - I think it was in Harms and Gonce's _Necronomicon
> Files_ - a piece of occult advice that when faced by hostile psychic
> projection to simply destroy it with your willpower.  By imagining it
> being obliterated by being blown to bits or bursting into flames or
> otherwise dying in an emphatic manner.  Now, I have no idea why that
> titbit of information came back to me, but I discovered that it works
> for dealing with nightmares as well.  Quite a few times I've gained a
> measure of lucid dreaming control while having a nightmare, and I can
> assure you it's viscerally satisfying to just blow stuff up with energy
> blasts, or unleashing a volcano, or in one case telekinetically grabbing
> the Starship Enterprise out of orbit and using like a very large rock to
> smash things.  It adds a new dimension to the phrase 'rocks drop,
> everyone dies'.

Oooooooh. ~.~ I don't really do lucid dreams, but apparently I'm a good
enough storyteller in my head to embark upon some kick-awesome stuff from
time to time.  I remember the other week involved escaping from aliens and
destroying their secret power source...

> This was also the start of my habit
> where - although I was perfectly capable of creating my own characters -
> I'd take other people's discards and use them.

Theory: The people who've stuck with the LNH closest through the years all
really enjoy the possibilities of working in a shared universe.

>       Later would be throwaway characters like Pulls-Paper-Out-Of-Hats
> Lad or You're-Not-Hitting-Me-Hard-Enough Lad.  Characters where if you
> stopped and said to yourself, "Now hold on, what sort of powers do those
> code names imply?", then after a bit of thought you'd realise, "I can do
> something with these characters."

Oh yes.  Love that so much.

>       But it all started with _Limp-Asparagus Lad_.  I still think of
> that as my flagship series, even though I haven't actually written or
> posted anything for it in years.

I do too!

> Believe it or not, among the numerous dangling plot lines
> that have accumulated over the last one-and-a-large-bit decades, there
> is one overwhelmingly important story - involving Limp-Asparagus Lad,
> Senses Lass, and Exclamation!Master! - that I've been building towards.
>   (And, yes, I know that I really should get off my overweight backside
> and finish that off...)

You should.  Homanyes.  I *want* to see that.

> This is
> because even today, while I sometimes give in to the urge to write some
> straight (super)human drama, I still write a lot of metafiction.  Not
> that that's a big surprise, given the environment of
> rec.arts.comics.creative.  Most participants have tried it at some time
> or other.  Indeed, it'll make it interesting to see whether the declared
> assumption that the majority of the characters is the new LNH-20 imprint
> are *not* fourth-wall aware will hold under these circumstances.  Time
> will tell, I guess.

I think it'll continue to mutate into different forms.  Me, I love
metafiction, and I definitely plan to go for more and more!

> Nevertheless, I would hope that,
> like a lot of others who started their writing on alt.comics.lnh /
> rec.arts.comics.creative, that I've gotten better at presenting a story
> in an entertaining manner.

Definitely.

> Again I say, I've enjoyed
> myself.  And moreover, I expect to continue enjoying myself for a long
> while to come.

Yay!

> SEAN CHRISTIAN DAUGHERTY

!!! AWESOME!

> When asked, I like to tell people that I still lurk around on
> rec.arts.comics.creative, despite the fact that my last post was, oh,
> well over a decade ago. I also like to tell myself that one day I'll
> come back to "The Continuing Adventures of Brain Boy," or one of the
> other series I'd brainstormed but never actually gotten around to
> writing, even though the last time I posted something in-universe was, I
> believe, last century. Both of these claims are hazardously close to
> outright lies, of course.

Haha, I know that feeling. x-x

> In my defense, I did take the step of checking in
> on RACC myself. On the evening of April 26, just in time to see Arthur
> Spitzer's last-minute reminder about these essays. It was the first I'd
> heard about it, but I'll be damned if I'm going to let my
> procrastination cause me to miss another opportunity to show everyone
> that I'm not dead.

Whoa. Good job!

> I spent a good
> deal of time, and several hundred dollars worth of printer paper and
> toner, printing out various back issues from the archive.

One thing that I didn't mention in my article was the many 3.5" floppy
disks I filled up with text files.

> I enjoyed
> writing the series, and while I wouldn't exactly say I'm proud of it
> (the list of things I'd change if I had a chance to do it all over again
> is as long as my arm), I'm immensely gratified it was as well-received
> as it was.

I remember reading and enjoying it during my initial stint on RACC.  I
haven't read it since, but I had to skim some bits of it working on the
Timeline on the wiki (plug plug: http://www.lnhq.info/wiki/LNH_Timeline ),
and it certainly looked like good stuff.  Time to archive-dive... >>c

> I met a lot of really great writers during my brief stint as an LNH
> writer. And maybe I'll actually fulfill my promise to come back one day.
> Especially now that I've told everyone reading this about my promise,
> and I wouldn't just be lying to myself anymore.

Oh man, oh man oh man oh MAN.  I *have* to get you in on Flame Wars Final.
Yesyesyes.

> SCOTT EILER
>
> Oh, all right.
>
> I'm late to *this* party, but I can certainly respect any storyline that
> can keep going for twenty years.

The secret is that it continually regenerates.

> LALO MARTINS

<snip>

> Which is why I'm declaring my own war on them. With all the advanced
> technology I was able to salvage, I'm going to prevent them from making
> a mess out of this world, and hopefully wipe them out completely.
>
> You can call me... Doctor Killfile.

...well hell.  That pretty much summed up everything at the core of the LNH
in the most sideways way possible. <3

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, ALL OF IT