LNH/META: To Reboot or Not to Reboot....

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 05:46:07 PDT 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:25:24 +0000 (UTC), Lalo Martins wrote:

> I told a few friends about it. They read a few issues and disappeared.
> When I was doing 58.5 I told a few friends again. They read 58.5, some of
> them read a couple of issues of other stuff, then they left as well. Nobody
> was interested in trying to understand the epic pile of characters and
> continuity tangle that is the Looniverse.
>
> Mind, I'm a huge continuity whore myself, and that's probably one of the
> reasons I stuck around. So I'm not talking from personal taste, but rather
> from my personal previous efforts at advertising.

Hmmmm, that's fair.  Personally, I'm trying to make converts by endlessly
bugging friends and family. <3

But I think you have to be a bit of a continuity whore to get into the
Looniverse.  Even the Cosmic Plot Device Caper was filled with references
to other series - ones that never existed!*

>> Yeah, really, there's no difference between being on a bboard somewhere and
>> having Google Groups there, except this way, people can graduate to the
>> awesomeness that is a good Usenet client.
>
> I was going to disagree, but then I saw the new Google Groups “Plus-Style”
> UI, which honesty is pretty awesome. I can really see more people using
> this. (Except for the florging scrollbars. What is it with every other web
> developer today wanting his own custom scrollbars?)

Hmmmmm.  I'm gonna have to get used to this. (And the new Google Docs,
which I do most of my writing on!)

>> I don't think so.  You did a good job, it was just that, well, 2004 was on
>> the downswing for RACC; if you look at the Google Groups archives, December
>> 2003 and January 2004 were the months with the lowest posting rate the
>> group's ever seen.  And LNHY was one of the things that helped pull it out
>> of that; August, the month it premiered, had the *highest* rate that year.
>
> I liked LNHY as a reader, but I never felt compelled to write for it. It
> didn't feel much like a reboot or even continuation, more a spinoff.

Agreed - but an interesting one.  Methinks LNHY needs some kind of event
next year too!

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, [* see The Might of Cap'n Quaalude
#54!]