REVIEW: End of Month Reviews #88-95: Index

Apathy Beast's Meat Puppet saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 15 13:39:22 PST 2011

[REVIEW] End of Month Reviews #88-95: Index

     The End Of Month Reviews has been inactive for more than half a
year.  Some of you may be wondering what horrible fate has befallen me
that kept me from writing during that period.  The answer is: nothing.
I haven't been ill, nor did I lose my job, or anything like that.
     As I recall, I was on vacation with my family at the beach, but
had taken a large pile of printouts to do reviews.  I was re-reading
the 'A Suit of Sables' arc for _Academy of Super Heroes_ with plans for
analysing how opaque it would be for a hypothetical new reader and why
(with regards to the balance between the use of established continuity,
the detective story format, and the deliberate misdirections of Lady
Sable).  And I thought, "I don't feel like doing this right now.  I'm
on vacation.  I'll do it later."  And then I went out and did beach
type stuff (including getting sunburnt) and never got back to it.

     What?  That isn't dramatic enough?  Okay then...
     Saxon was going to the local comic shop when he was attacked by
the Apathy Beast.  It planned to infiltrate the proposed RACC-Con in
2012, so it killed him, and scooped out his insides (and ate them) and
started wearing his skin as a disguise.
     It moves among you, wearing the stolen face of a friend, watching
with cold, hate filled eyes as it plots RACC's inevitable downfall.
     {points dramatically}  Behold!  Arthur Spitzer, who is in a
loosing struggle to complete _Beige Midnight_.  Soon the LNH-Readers-
Who-Are-Sick-To-Death-With-These-Damn-Neverending-Events-Liberation
Front will lose patience and finish him.
     {points dramatically again}  Look!  Andrew Perron, whose driving
efforts to establish the LNH20 imprint are ultimately doomed to failure.
     {points dramatically again}  See!  Dave Van Domelen, whose ASH
franchise has been reduced to only a single writer.  His long-running
_Academy of Super-Heroes_ series will not last to its 125th issue.
     {points dramatically again}  Regarde!  Russ Allbery , whose final
fate is to realise he no longer cares for maintaining an archive for
a bunch of free-loading goofballs and will simply let the whole thing
slide.
     All will feel the immanence of the Apathy Beast.
     All will weaken from the presence of the Apathy Beast.
     All will succumb to the clutch of the Apathy Beast about their
hearts, and fall to lethargy, enervation, disinterest and despair.

     That doesn't appeal to you either?  Fine.  Your third multiple
choice answer is that _The Tribulations of Kid Review_ #6's review of
_End Of Month Reviews_ #87's review of _The Tribulations of Kid
Review_ #5 caused a feedback loop that burnt out the sesquipedalian
loquaciousness banks in the technobabble generator, and it’s taken this
long to get the replacement parts.  Do not adjust your set.  We control
the vertical.

     {Takes a sip of water}  On a more serious note, I remind my readers
once again of the main reason that _End Of Month Reviews_ was started
in the first place:  Without a reason to *force* myself to read and
comprehend  the stories on RACC in a timely manner, I tend to skim over
stuff or ignore it entirely.  The past few months indicate that this
remains as true as ever.  In spades.
     For once there are no spoilers below.
     (And hopefully no errors due to hasty compilation.)

-----

#88 April 2011
High Concept Challenge #19: 'What Is The Secret Of The Silver Skull Machine?'

  2010 (17th Annual) RACCies Ceremony  [RACCies]
  Academy of Super-Heroes #112  [ASH]
          'A Suit of Sables Part 3: The Steep And Thorny Way'
  Academy of Super-Heroes #113  [ASH]
          'A Suit of Sables Part 4: But A Shadow'
  Coherent Super Stories #27  [ASH]
          'Secret of the Silver Skull'  {HCC19}
  Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #41  [LNH]
          'The Return of Obscure Trivia Lad'
  Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #42  [NTB/LNH/HCC]
          'The Dreams Of A Hundred Apes'  {HCC19}
  Looniverse Y #8  [LNHY]  'Just Add Water...'
  Movie Trailer #1  [MISC]
  Movie Trailer #2  [MISC/LNH]
  Movie Trailer #3  [MISC]
  Movie Trailer #4  [MISC]
  Movie Trailer #5  [MISC]
  One Day at a Time #12  [MISC]  'What I Am'
  One Day at a Time #13  [MISC]  'Always the Lucky Ones'
  Silver Arrow #6  [StarFall]  'Trapped!'
  Super Wizard From Space #3  [MV]
  Super Wizard From Space #4  [MV]
  Super Wizard From Space #5  [MV]
  Super Wizard From Space #6  [MV]
  SW10: December 2010 #6  [SW10]  'Cauldron Book II Part 6 (of 7)'
  SW10: December 2010 #7  [SW10]  'Cauldron Book II Part 7 (of 7)'
  SW10: April 2011 #1  [SW10]  'Britannia Beach'
  SW10: April 2011 #2  [SW10/HCC]
          'The Satanists with the Silver Skull Machine'  {HCC19}
  SW10: Night of the RACCies!  [SW10/RACCies]
  Tribulations of Kid Review #6  [LNH/REVIEW]

#89 May 2011
High Concept Challenge #20: 'Behind Blue Eyes'

  Beige Midnight #8  [LNH/NTB/LNHY]
          'PLANET MUHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!!!!!!!! I: 'They Mite Be Rulers''
  Castled  [MISC]
  Digital JUMP! #7  [LNH]  'GRIPPING! Space-Time Energy Projector!'
  Godling #22  [MISC]  'Round 'em up!'
  Going Solo #5  [StarFall/HCC20]  'Behind Blue Eyes'
  One Day at a Time #14  [MISC]  'Bomberguy 64'
  Spellbinder #3  [StarFall]  'Machine Head'
  Super Wizard From Space #7  [MV]  {HCC19}
  Super Wizard From Space #8  [MV]
  Super Wizard From Space #9  [MV]
  Super Wizard From Space #10  [MV]
  SW10: Lateran Speaks  [SW10/HCC]  {HCC20}
  SW10: The Day of the Rapture  [SW10/HCC]  {HCC20}
  Team Xero #007  [MISC/HCC]  {HCC19}
  Team Xero #008  [MISC/HCC]  {HCC20}

#90 June 2011
High Concept Challenge #21: 'Summer Blockbuster'
New writer: Ryunosuke, writer _Shadow Shift_.

  Conclave of Super-Villains #29  [ASH/HCC]  {HCC20}  ''Star Gazing'
  Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #43  [LNH]  'Columbus Day!'
  Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #44  [LNH]  'LNH --THE MUSICAL!!!' {HC21}
  LNH Comics Presents #503  [LNH]  'Dead Presidents'
  My Father's Son #2 [8Fold/HCC]  {HCC20}
  One Day at a Time #14  {#14.5}  'Deleted Scene'  [MISC]
  One Day at a Time #15  [MISC]  'Issues'
  Shadow Shift #1  [MISC]
  Super Wizard From Space  #11  [MV/HCC]  {HCC20}
  Super Wizard From Space {#12} [MV]
  Super Wizard From Space  #13  [MV]
  SW10: May 2011 #3  [SW10]  'The Gates of New Bosnia'
  SW10: April 2011 #2  {revision}  [SW10]  'Britannia Beach/Silver Skull'
  Team Xero #9 [MISC/HCC]  {HCC07}
  Unfinished Sentence-Verse TEB: The First Dozen  [usVerse][TEB]
  Unfinished Sentence-Verse #13  [usVerse]

#91 July 2011
High Concept Challenge #22: 'Someone else's characters'

  Coherent Super Stories #28  [ASH/HCC]  'Thirty Years of Jenny!' {HCC21}
  Just Imagine Saxon Brenton vs. Andrew Perron in the Return of the
          RACCies! #11  [LNH/RACCies]  'There's a Zombie On
          Everybody's Lawn!'
  LNH Comics Presents #504  [LNH]  'Dark Horse Rising'
  LNH Comics Presents #505  [LNH]  'Dead of State'
  LNH Comics Presents #506  [LNH]  'Nixon's The One'
  LNH Comics Presents #507.5  [LNH]  'Who's the REAL The LNH?!'
  Looniverse Y #9  [LNHY]  'Strapping In'
  Movie Trailer #6  [MISC]
  One Day at a Time #16  [MISC]  'I will come up with a name later'
  One Day at a Time: Coming Soon...  [MISC]
  One Day at a Time #17  [MISC]  'Demons of Suburbia'
  Super Wizard From Space #14  [MV]  'The Tragedy Of
          Sharkasaurus Rex, Part 4'
  Super Wizard From Space #15  [MV]  'The Tragedy Of
          Sharkasaurus Rex, Part 5'
  Super Wizard From Space #16  [MV]  'The Tragedy Of
          Sharkasaurus Rex, Part 6'
  SW10: The Tape #1: THE POWER OF THE TAPE! Trailer  [SW10/HCC] {HCC21}
  SW10: The Tape #2: THE POWER OF THE TAPE! Clip  [SW10/HCC]  {HCC21}
  SW10: New Bosnia #1: By Appointment To Their Majesties
          [SW10/HCC]  {HCC22}
  SW10: Superhuman World 2011 #0: The Briefing  [SW10]
  Team Xero #10  [HCC/MISC]  {HCC20}

#92 August 2011
High Concept Challenge #23: 'Mythrepresentation'

  A Genre Story  [HCC/MISC]  {HCC22}
  Digital JUMP! #8  [LNH]  'HECTARE! Glory of a Knock-Down Argument!'
  Host of Net.Libertines #1  [LNH]
  Host of Net.Libertines #2  [LNH]
  LNH Comics Presents #507  [LNH]  'Introducing -- THE LNH!'
  LNH Comics Presents #508  [LNH]  'Introducing Lord New Hamphire'
  One Day at a Time #18  [MISC]  'Predator and Prey'
  One Day at a Time: The Chronicles of Mike Kittyman #19  [MISC]
  Pointless Posting Man: The Great RACCtastrophe  [BP/META]
  SW10: Time of the Crossovers #1: The Coming of the Super-Mage
          [SW10/HCC]  {HCC22}
  SW10: Summer of Discontent #0: The Villain War of 2011  [SW10]
  SW10: Summer of Discontent #1: 2014  [SW10]
  SW10: Summer of Discontent #2: The Plan  [SW10]
  SW10: Time Bounce #2: 1971  [SW10]
  Super Wizard From Space #17  [MV]  'The Echo People, Part 1'
  Super Wizard From Space #18  [MV]  'The Echo People, Part 2'
  Team Xero #11  [HCC/MISC]  {HCC21}

#93 September 2011

  Digital JUMP! #8  [LNH]  'HECTARE! Glory of a Knock-Down Argument!'
  Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #45  [LNH/HCC]
          'When Nerds Do Mythology: A Farce'  {HCC23}
  One Day at a Time: The Chronicles of Mike Kittyman #20  [MISC]
          'In His Own World'
  SW10: Summer of Discontent #2: The War  [SW10/HCC]  {HCC23 ???}
  SW10: Summer of Discontent #3: The Deal  [SW10]
  SW10: Summer of Discontent #3a: The Agents  [SW10]
  SW10: Summer of Discontent #4: The Myth  [SW10/HCC]  {HCC23}
  System Corrupters #27  [LNH/HCC]  'Labyrinth'  {HCC23}
  Team Xero #12  [MISC/HCC]  {HCC23}

#94 October 2011
High Concept Challenge #24: 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern'

  Academy of Super-Heroes #113  [ASH]
           'A Fire Afar Off Part 1: It's A Small World'
  Academy of Super-Heroes Side-Story  [ASH/HCC]
          'Hidden Under A Bushel'  {HCC24}
  Beige Midnight #9  [LNH/SG]  'PLANET
          MUHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!!!!!!!! II: "Mite-Lite of the Gods
  One Day at a Time: The Chronicles of Mike Kittyman #21  [MISC]
          'A Nightmare World?'
  Silver Arrow #7  [StarFall]  'Myths and Legends'
  Superfreaks -- The Musical!  [Superfreaks]
  Super Wizard From Space #19  [MV]  'The Echo People, Part 3'
  Super Wizard From Space #20  [MV]  'The Echo People, Part 4'
  Super Wizard From Space #21  [MV]  'The Echo People, Part 5'
  SW10: Summer of Discontent #5: The Strike  [SW10]
  SW10: Iv: The Real Story!  [SW10/HCC]  {HCC24}

#95 November 2011
High Concept Challenge #25: 'Le Challenge French'
New writer: Leto, writer of _Tales From The Tesla Institute_.

  Catalyst Lass #1: LNHX Origins #4  [LNHX]
  Digital Jump*Special! #1  [LNH]  'In A Retcon Hour Minute!'
  Incredibly Stupid Man #1  [LNH]
  Incredibly Stupid Man #2  [LNH]
  Irony Man #1: LNHX Origins #1  [LNHX]
  Kid Kirby #1: LNHX Origins #6  [LNHX]
  Manga Man #1: LNHX Origins #3  [LNHX]
  Nick Furry #1: LNHX Origins #5  [LNHX]
  Nudist Man: Year One # 1  [LNH]
  Professor Stomper #1: LNHX Origins #2  [LNHX]
  RACCCAFE: The New Crowd  [RACCCAFE]  {thread}
  Stay Dead!  [LNH]
  Super Wizard From Space #22  [MV]  'The Super Funeral Of
          Sharkasaurus Rex, Part 1'
  Super Wizard From Space #23  [MV]  'The Super Funeral Of
          Sharkasaurus Rex, Part 2
  Super Wizard From Space #24  [MV]  'The House Of Blinding Light'
  Tales From The Tesla Institute #1  [StarFall]  'The Assistant'
  Team Xero #13  [MISC/HCC]  {HCC24}
  Team Xero #14  [MISC/HCC]  {HCC25}
  What If the Legion of Net.Heroes were from Quebec?  [LNH/HCC]  {HCC25}

Saxon Brenton   University of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
     saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
The Eyrie Archives of Russ Allbery which collect the online superhero
fiction of the rec.arts.comics.creative newsgroup and its sibling group
Superguy can be found at:
     http://archives.eyrie.org/racc/       or
     http://lists.eyrie.org/pipermail/racc/
        http://archives.eyrie.org/superguy/   or