META: Eyrie Archives Problems?

Russ Allbery eagle at eyrie.org
Thu May 13 21:50:49 PDT 2010

Phantasm <phantom_belcher at yahoo.com> writes:

> I've been having the worst time trying to get several stories off the
> Eyrie archives, essentially the StarFall issues that were put out after
> I couldn't get on racc for various reasons (Swamp Patrol #s19-24 and
> Metal Fire #s 7-10b).  It seems as though this computer's saying that
> the .gz files I'm getting off the Eyrie "do not appear to be valid
> archives."

> And it turns out that this seems to be site-wide, as many of the LNH
> titles I've downloaded in .gz format and tried to open are also giving
> this error.

Are you using the FTP server or the web pages via archives.eyrie.org?  If
the latter, note that most browsers will automatically uncompress the
files when they download them, but I think IE has a bug where it still
saves the file with a *.gz extension even though it's uncompressed.  You
might try just opening them directly in Notepad or the like and see if
they're actually just text files.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle at eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>