[REPOST] (sort of) Newsreader's Digest: Digital JUMP! #1-3

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 09:41:21 PST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 16:45:07 +0000 (UTC), Tom Russell wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2:56 am, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Back in 2008, in Russell's Reviews v1 #10, Tom Russell threw down the
>> gauntlet and proposed "Newsreader's Digest" versions of RACC stories.
>> These would be super-condensed versions, with the challenge to jettison
>> as much of the text as possible while still keeping a coherent,
>> entertaining story.
>
> I had forgotten about that!  I think you're the first person to
> actually do it.  I had to condense JOLT CITY, but found myself
> stymied.

Yeah, I never found any others.  I was helped along by the fact that I've
gotten way better at writing since 2002. (God, the number of unnecessary
"he stood up and"s in this.)

>> You feel yourself moving faster!
>> You have no more Crimson Potions of Speed.
>> You hit the Novice Net.Hero.
>> You hit the Novice Net.Hero.
>
> Oh man!  The first time I read this story, way back when, I was still
> a Rogue-Like virgin, and had no idea what this was.  Now that I'm
> versed in the ways of Nethack, et al, I find it hihgly amusing.  Such
> is the power of geeky pop culture.

Hah!  Awesome.  I almost cut that, but decided it was integral to Like
Rouge's gag.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, changed her from one kind of video game
parody to another.