LNH/ACRA/WRIMO: Anal-Retentive Archive Kid: A Judicious Use Of Overkill #11

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 30 12:24:19 PST 2010

[LNH/ACRA/WRIMO] Anal-Retentive Archive Kid: A Judicious Use Of Overkill #11

[Enough procrastination.  It's been a month, I'm still not happy with
the way that this has written itself into a corner, but it needs to be
completed.  The irony of a RaccoWrimo project stalling at the last furlong
is just too embarrassing, even for someone as notoriously slow as myself.]

Anal-Retentive Archive Kid: A Judicious Use Of Overkill - part 11

A Legion of Net.Heroes miniseries for the RaccoWriMo writing month
Written by and copyright 2010 Saxon Brenton

     Ultimate Ninja was not at his desk in his main office.  Instead he
was in the room next to the office: a private reception room with an
adjacent atrium containing a small Zen garden.   He was kneeling on a
cushion on the tatami-matted floor.  Between himself and an empty cushion
was a ceremonial tea service.  The Ninja contemplated the perfection of
the garden while he waited. The inter-office communicator buzzed.  "Hai?"
the leader of the Legion of Net.Heroes said calmly.
     "Anal-Retentive Archive Kid to see you," said Sally.
     "Send him in."
     Anal-Retentive Archive Kid appeared at the door, and took off his
shoes (looking a bit wobbly as he did so), then entered.  The Ninja said
in Japanese, "< Please sit.  Will you take tea? >"
     ARAK arranged himself on the cushion.  "< Yes, thank you. >"  The
Ninja poured tea, which ARAK took with thanks.  They drank.  With this
formality have been disposed of, Ultimate Ninja got down to business.
"< You have recently signed out for a lot of equipment from the Plot
Device Room. >"
     "< Yes. >"
     "< May I ask why? >"
     "< A fellow university student was kidnapped earlier today, and
there was no other member of the Legion to refer the matter to without
taking them away from other business.  Since I don't have any net.ahuman
powers, I requisitioned some equipment I thought would be useful for
rescuing her. >"
     "< I take it you were successful? >"
     "< I was.  However, the matter turned out to be more complicated
than I expected.  And there were a lot of fatalities.   Here is the
incident report. >"  He handed over a spiral bound booklet printed on
A4 paper.
     Ultimate Ninja took the report with only mild surprise.  He had
summoned Anal-Retentive Archive Kid less than two minutes earlier; just
enough time to walk here to this meeting.  It was possible of course
that the young man could have then made use further of the abilities of
the temporal inhibitor harness to take time out to write the report.
But considering ARAK's nature Ultimate Ninja suspected that he had
already composed and printed the incident report before the summons had
came.  This would also be consistent with ARAK's haggard appearance and
apparent lack of sleep.  He skimmed though the executive summary at the
front of the report.  "< I see. >"
     Ultimate Ninja put down the report and said, "< I am surprised that
you considered it necessary to remove quite so many crime gang families. >"
     ARAK shrugged.  "< It was my best estimate for the number to prevent
a gang war.  But the numbers are fluid and subject to many variables.
I'm sure other people would err on the side of mercy and kill far fewer,
while some would gather more resources and kill lots more. >"
     "< Really? >" asked the Ninja pointedly.
     "< MasterBlaster? >" suggested Anal-Retentive Archive Kid.
     Ultimate Ninja briefly considered this.  "< I concede the point.
Nevertheless, many people would consider removing so many criminals
futile, considering that they are hardly named supervillains and will
probably be replaced the next time that a Writer needs a crime gang for
a story.  >"
     "< That's true, >" ARAK agreed, a touch sourly.  "< The setup for
a no-win situation is pretty obvious.  If I merely stopped the Yakuza,
then they would come after Ms Greenvale again, and anything that happened
to her would be my fault.  But when I murder them, then that is also my
fault - even if the Writers ignore the final outcome.  So I choose
what would bring about the most practical good. >"
     "< There are also moral issues. >"
     "< Technically, only ethical.  I was very careful to keep the story
forces balanced by making sure only the guilty were killed.  I wasn't
particularly keen on story karma lashing back on me.  Especially not with
the Writers being self-righteous hypocrites and cowards. >"
     Ultimate Ninja was silent for a second.  The boy's exhaustion was
clearly making him more forthright and opinionated that usual.  He said,
"< Does your condemnation come from still being angry about being
infected with HIV during the _Flame Wars 4_? >"
     "< Ha!  Not entirely, >" ARAK said frankly.  "< Actually that's an
opinion I have held for some time.  At least as far back as the _Dvandom
Force_ episode where the notion of using a net based pun name for the
Yakuza was raised and then rejected as being too dangerous.  That's a
perfectly reasonable point of view of someone in Real Life - but utterly
fatuous for anyone living  in a four colour superhero universe, where we
face more dangerous threats than petty crime gangs every day. >"  Then
a belated thought occurred to ARAK.  "< Damn, >" he swore to himself.
"< I should have taken the opportunity to exercise nicknaming rights on
the Yakuza when I killed them all.  And right now I'm too tired
to come up proper net pun right now, and something like 'goat felchers'
is too crass... >"
     "< It wouldn't be wise, >" agreed Ultimate Ninja dryly.  "< That
sort of pettiness might aggravate the Writers that you've been so careful
to keep onside so far. >"  Then he said, "< How about murder charges? >"
     ARAK shook his head.  "< In a parody universe the legal system is
effectively a function of the Writers' whims.  And even in a supposedly
serious four colour universe...  well, take a look at the revolving door
they have for the Batman villains.  And like I said, I took a lot of effort
to follow action story logic and make sure everyone got nothing more and
nothing less than they deserved. >"
     "< And what about *me*? >" Ultimate Ninja asked quietly but pointedly.
     ARAK considered this.  "< It is, of course, your prerogative to
handle disciplinary action as you see fit.  Especially if you're going to
lampshade or subvert a cliche, >" he said.  "< But you might want to
start small and work up, since the story cliches I was working with could
affect you too... >"
     "< We shall see, >" said Ultimate Ninja, and brought his Ginsu
katana around in a long slow sweep.
     There was a loud CRACK, and the two men looked to see they way that
the force of Ultimate Ninja's swing had been counteracted by an equal
but opposite force that had brought his arm up short.  The result was
that the Ninja's arm had broken, and there was three centimetres of bone
that had torn out through his flesh just above his elbow.
     If Anal-Retentive Archive Kid was relieved he didn't look it.  He
just looked weary - in far more than the physical sense.  "< Yeah.  I was
afraid of that.  Here, please allow me, >" he said, and as the ninja
glared at him he reached over to the intercom and called the medical labs.
"Organic Lass, could you please come to Ultimate Ninja's office?  There's
been a small accident and you'll need to set a broken arm."
     "< Would you care to explain this? >" asked the ninja.
     "< I think it's the way that in action movies that the loner hero
gets dispensation to act as he sees fit and the authorities are proven
wrong, and if they get in the protagonist's way they get punished
proportionately.  I'm not completely sure about this, but considering
the amount of story forces I had to balance to handle the number of gang
members I needed to kill, it's possible that you just came very close to
killing yourself.  And not comic-book-death dead, but permanently dead
dead, Fearless Leader gets the leadership of the Legion, and no-one is
allowed to use you as a character except in flashbacks and dream
sequences.  Which would screw up all the already posted future storylines
like the Leader For A Day anniversary stories and a lot of Arthur's
_Beige Midnight_ stuff, I guess. >"  He rubbed his face with his hands.
"< I'm sorry, I'm babbling, aren't I? >"
     Ultimate Ninja had carefully put down the Ginsu katana.  "< You
seem to have covered almost all bases.  However, I'm wondering if you
realise what your actions make your relationship with Ms Greenvale look
like. >"
     ARAK was nonplussed.  "< Well... like a subplot, I guess. >"
     Ultimate Ninja gave ARAK an almost pitying look.  "< Think Superman
comics.  Particularly Silver Age-style Superman rescuing Lois Lane from
the situations that she'd gotten herself into. >"
     "< Err... >" went ARAK, suddenly off-balance.  "< Lois Lane was
continually getting into ludicrous situations because she was trying to
expose Superman's secret identity.  That's hardly the type of thing that
Elizabeth is going to get up to.  We don't even particularly like each
other. >"
     "< Do you hate her? >"
     "< I neither like nor hate her! >" snapped ARAK.  "< I'm mostly
*indifferent* to her.  We have nothing much in common, so I wish her well
in getting on with her life, but I'm not interested in it! >"
     "< I mean, >" said Ultimate Ninja with serene patience, "< Do you
dislike her enough that when she inevitably gets herself into trouble
again because of her fear and wilful blindness of superhero strangeness,
that you will stand aside and watch her get hurt or killed rather than
step in and save her. >"
     Anal-Retentive Archive Kid just *stared* at the ninja.
     "< I suggest that you may have outsmarted yourself, Wendle, >"
Ultimate Ninja said.  "< Your careful use of action story cliches may
have protected yourself from any in-story karmic retribution, from any
disciplinary action from me, and certainly from any mass murder charges
that could be brought by a legal system that - as you say - unfortunately
exists in a parody class universe and therefore cannot be anything other
than a joke.  But by letting your anger and pride get the better of you,
you've saddled yourself with your own supporting cast member who will
need to be rescued, as well as set the bar high for the heroics you will
need to perform to do that rescuing.  And if you fail, the Writers will
have your hide. >"
     .oO( Oh shitshitshitshitshit... ) ARAK swore to himself.
     The intercom buzzed again.  "Organic Lass is here," announced Sally.
     "Send her in," said Ultimate Ninja in English.  Then, "< You had
better go and get some sleep.  Later you can try and work out some sort
of trouble alert.  Perhaps a signal watch. >"
     "< Sure, >" ARAK as he got up and staggered to the door.  Organic
Lass came in, and her eyes widened in surprise as she saw a shell shocked
Anal-Retentive Archive Kid leaving behind a visibly wounded Ultimate
Ninja.  "Please come in, Organic Lass..." said the Legion leader, and
then the door closed behind ARAK as he stumbled out through the front
offices.
     Outside in the hall Easily-Discovered Man Lite and Frat Boy were
waiting for him.  Lite looked exultant.  Yes, of course they knew: the
speed of the Legion of Net.Heroes grapevine was incredible.
     "Dude!  You broke Ultimate Ninja's arm!?" exclaimed EDMLite, and
slapped him on the back.  "Awesome!"
     "We've got a keg with your name on it," agreed Frat Boy.
     "Oh, put a sock in it Lite," groused ARAK.  "This isn't the time
for your ninja jokes."  He shoved his hands in his pockets and scowled
rather than risk bursting into tears.  "My life is absolutely fscking ruined."
     Signal watches.  Shit.  He was doomed.

     And thus is the *DOOM* that falls upon those who defy the will of
the gods^H^H^H^H  the will of the Writers.

=====
Character credits:
     Anal-Retentive Archive Kid created by Saxon Brenton.
     Easily-Discovered Man Lite cameoed without permission.  Created by Rob Rogers.
     Frat Boy is Public Domain.  Created by uplink (John Scheibeler).
     Organic Lass created by Rebecca Drayer.
     Sally is Public Domain.  Created by Descrii (Ian Porell).
     Ultimate Ninja is Public Domain.  Created by wReam (Ray Bingham).

Author's notes:
     No, really.  You have no idea how much frustration I've had trying
to get Anal-Retentive Archive Kid to go one way and then have him
stubbornly head off on his own.  This is something like the third or
fourth version of the conclusion, as I wrestled with the general
direction of the story and the elements I already have in play.  (In
particular I really wish I hadn't made that throwaway mention of breaking
Ultimate Ninja's arm as a piece of foreshadowing back in part 4.  It was
a right pain to work in.)
     Anyway, I wanted a downer ending, but all my efforts to exploit
Anal-Retentive Archive Kid's pride, and prod him into doing something
stupid that would come back and bite him proved - for the most part -
ineffectual.  He has quite justifiable pride in his intellectual
abilities, but in a number of previous stories I've also established that
he's quite aware of his own limitations of not being able to pull of
superhero stunts.  This, combined with his generally obsessive nature,
meant that he performed a number of extreme actions without necessarily
taking much in the way of physical risks, and was always covering his
own back from the moral risks.
     So finally I did an end run around ARAK's actions and preparations,
retconned in that he had overlooked something, and had Ultimate Ninja
point it out.  Fortunately Scott Eiler had made observations in the
comments threads about the nature of the interaction between Wendle and
Elizabeth that I had included as a carry over from Elizabeth's previous
appearance.  (Specifically, as a bit of characterisation and as a minor
annoyance for ARAK, I had included in _Limp-Asparagus Lad_ #54  that to
outsiders Wendle and Elizabeth quite genuinely getting on each others'
nerves looked like a lovers quarrel.)  Once I started to focus on that I
was able to retool the nature of the climax of the story.
     Finally, the 'interview while taking tea in Ultimate Ninja's private
rooms' is based on a similar scene with Panta from _Tales of the LNH_ #333.

-----
Saxon Brenton   University of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
     saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au     saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex
world of jet-powered apes and time-travel." - Superman, JLA Classified #3