LNH/REVIEW: The Tribulations of Kid Review #4

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 20:45:25 PST 2010

<---------------------->

PREHISTORIC PRODUCTIONS PRESENTS

IN THE BEST TRADITION OF GEORGE C. AND RIDLEY SCOTT

The Tribulations of KID REVIEW, Issue #4

Featuring reviews of:
[MISC] Godling #18: "Defeated"
[STARFALL] Silver Arrow #1-3: "The Hornet's Nest"/"Descent"/
    "Observatory of Danger"
[WriMo/ACRA] Maximum Frame Purge RACCWriMO Special: Dream Obliteration
    Apprenticeship

Written by Andrew Perron

<---------------------->

-----------<>-----------

Kid Review leapt out of the way before the mysterious robot that called
itself Cardoid could detect him.

Crap.  Have to get away.  But how?  Feedback.  It wanted to destroy
feedback.  Idea.  Distraction.

Kid Review climbed back into the tube and activated an emergency
maintenance bot.  He uploaded the text of his latest review, and set it
to run down the hall.  The bot broadcasted as it ran...

-----------<>-----------

[MISC] Godling #18: "Defeated"

"In the spirit of 'Every issue is someone’s first', the latest issue of
a series I’ve never read - but one that’s gotten quite a few positive
reviews in the past.  We’ll see how this issue stacks up, both in and
of itself and as a jumping-on point."

"The first paragraph sets the tone for the rest of the issue:"

    Godling is hit in the face by a man with a face that’s a mix of an
    alligator and a human face, Mr. Gator. WHAM!

"It continues on in this vein, barreling cheerfully along from fight
scene to fight scene until the cliffhanger ending."

"First of all, as an intro for new readers, there were no problems
getting into this; everything that might possibly need to be explained
is, through narration or dialogue."

"Now, as a story... The style Godling #18 is written in laughs
gleefully at the concerns of syntax and formatting.  It's told as if
the writer is writing down each word as it comes to them, making it up
off the top of their head.  Is this good?  Bad?  Irrelevant?  Awesome?"

"Well, I will say that, once I got into the feel of the story, I quite
enjoyed it!  Fast-paced and entertaining, and as I mentioned, not
difficult to understand."

"However... would more technical proficiency make this story better?
It's a difficult question to ask.  I certainly don't think that taking
a story like this and doing an editing run on it would have a negative
effect.  But would it bring more of the author's vision to the page
than the quick and chaotic method we see here?"

"These questions themselves may be beside the point.  Godling is energy
barely contained by letters and words, and each time I read it, it
feels more right.  KAPOW!"

-----------<>-----------

In the distance, Kid Review could hear the sounds of violence being
done to the maintenance bot.  He slid across the floor, rushing back to
the RACComputer. "Sylvia, information search Cardoid!"

There was a bleep, and his eyes blazed with blue-white energy.  No
records of this character in any RACC post (except for Kid Review #3,
naturally).  He extended it to a non-trademarked Googol search, and
explored the results.  But he could feel his power ebbing away at the
edges; to keep it refreshed, he opened a new window and began typing a
review...

-----------<>-----------

[STARFALL] Silver Arrow #1-3: "The Hornet's Nest"/"Descent"/
    "Observatory of Danger"

"The return of the StarFall imprint to RACC!  It has history stretching
back to the very early days, when Omegas and Patrols walked the land
like gods.  But after a period of dormancy, lo! it has returned with a
new series.  Now, I've never read any StarFall, so as above, we'll be
checking to see if anything pings the I-don't-know-this-backstory-
ometer."

"There's a boxing glove arrow on the cover, so you know what you're
getting into right away.  It starts with a classic Batman Cold Open:
drug deal going on at the docks, criminal mastermind overseeing it,
hero watching and busting in while displaying powers and attitude.  The
little fish are rounded up and the big one gets away."

"Straight superheroics are good, but this might be *too* straight if
you're going to have a hero so explicitly based on another.  I kept
waiting for a twist that never came."

"Still, we get into more unexpected territory as Silver Arrow talks to
the police chief and goes home; his secret identity (Hugh Knight) seems
to be completely public, or at least known to every other character he
speaks to this issue.  As well, he's in college but living with his
parents; his father rags on him about the superhero thing, but not in a
'60s Aunt May "Oh, that terrible Spider-Man!" kind of way.  More like
he wants to be a professional sportsguy and Dad wants him to inherit
the family business."

"Afterwards, we cut to Hugh talking to his college friends, Jeff Hawkin
and Jade Wong. (The setting is surprisingly specific; a real city (Los
Angeles), but also a real college (UCLA).) They discuss the drug deal
and provide exposition.  Hugh asks Jade to "get close enough to
confirm"; she isn't sure, but decides to do it - even though she'll
need to do something horrible."

"Several days later, we see Jade with the criminal mastermind (Sun Li)
in a corporate office.  Jade tells Sun Li that someone's going to
testify against her, and they decide that it will be Jade that kills
him.  Cut to one of the men from the drug deal entering the courthouse,
and Jade taking aim with a sniper rifle..."

"This scene aims for intriguing mystery, but, I think, overreaches
itself.  The reveal of Jade working for Sun Li should be enough of a
cliffhanger, enough of a question - how do this Jade and the college-
student friend-to-superheroes Jade fit together? - without adding the
whole sniper situation."

"In the second issue, the sniper situation is resolved, and
surprisingly, she actually blows the guy’s head apart.  Huh.  Really
expected her to try to trick the bad guys, but nope, she straight-up
assassinates the witness.  Interesting."

"Arrow and the police chief discuss the situation, and Jade gets
promoted within Sun Li’s organization.  Silver Arrow fights a members
of Los Gatos Negros, a local gang, in the issue’s action scene, and
defeats two superpowered members with quick thinking and clever quips."

"Afterwards, he meets with Jade and Jeff in the library.  Jeff’s
infiltrated Los Gatos Negros, and it turns out Arrow has a price on his
head from both organizations.  Another student, Fran (AKA, it seems,
the superpowered Doorway) runs up and tells Hugh that there’s
superpowered trouble at the Griffith Observatory (another LA
landmark!). When they arrive, it’s covered in ice and vines, with a
pair of costumed types who are obviously responsible standing atop the
dome."

"The cover of the third issue identifies these as Frostbite and Venus
Flytrap... and the first paragraph reveals that Arrow charged in
without backup, getting himself caught, frozen, and dangled off a
cliff.  Oh Hugh, you’re such a dork."

"He berates himself with the classic 'What would Batman do?'/'That’s
fiction, this is real life' combo and analyzes the situation; all seems
hopeless until Big G, one of the superpowered gang members from last
issue, shows up and frees him, explaining that he got out on bail and
that his sister’s one of the hostages. (This seems just a touch
 convenient, especially as that fight scene was Big G’s only other
 appearance.) (Also, would he really call the ice guy 'Blizzard'?  I’d
 go for Captain Cold or Mr. Freeze, myself.)"

"Doorway shows up; it’s revealed that Big G knows her and that she’s a
'street thief' and her brother has a 'reputation' that she doesn’t want
brought up, but nevertheless, they team up.  They sneakily observe the
villains, who are teleconferencing with a Mysterious Figure, but said
figure points them out and it’s time for a fight.  The bad guys are
beaten by the three, with boxing glove arrows providing the KO."

"They deliver the baddies to the authorities, and it turns out Big G
broke out.  He turns himself in once he sees his sister safe, and
Doorway comments on Silver Arrow’s propensity for villain reformation."

"After Hugh gets home, his father comes in, admits he was scared for
him, and asks why Hugh does it. There’s a flashback to ten years ago,
during a big earthquake-slash-reality-storm, when Hugh was rescued by a
Heroic Mysterious Figure, who told him that 'One person can make a
difference.'"

"Meanwhile, Jade and Sun Li watch a report on Silver Arrow’s heroics.
(At some point, Los Gatos Negros became Gatos del Rio.) Turns out
Doorway’s brother was the Time-Twister, and they were once partners in
crime.  She changed sides, but he didn’t, and Sun Li tells Jade to
release him from prison and watch what they do."

"We often talk about series like Godling being 'straight' superhero
series.  In a way, I think, Silver Arrow is even straighter; it’s not
just in the superhero genre, it’s also very in-tune with the way your
standard Marvel or DC series would be written nowadays.  Thus, the plot
tends towards the predictable... but I’d also say it’s well-written
enough to pass muster with those professional companies.  There are
technical problems - most notably, it sometimes feels like you should
know exposition that hasn't been given yet - but they're minor."

"Overall, it's good, but with a bit of polishing and a bit of spice, it
could be something that would make people stand up and take notice even
if it *were* published on the spinner racks."

-----------<>-----------

Most of the results Kid Review was getting seemed to be on cardoid
microphones.  He was fairly sure he hadn't annoyed any music-themed
villains lately - well, other than the Anarchists Capella, whose goal
of replacing slickly-produced studio music with unenhanced vocals
didn't really fit.

Could it be the creation of some audiophile alien species?  He
shuddered to think of the disco damage a servant of the New Mods could
do just by its very presence.

Wait.  Audiophile...  He opened up the wiki article and re-read the
description of what cardoid microphones did.  Of *course*!  Now he knew
the one item he would need to stop the robot...

-----------<>-----------

[WriMo/ACRA] Maximum Frame Purge RACCWriMO Special: Dream Obliteration
Apprenticeship

"This is - or, rather, seems to be - a stream-of-consciousness story
based around a man's... stroke?  It's never made exactly clear, but
it's either a man suffering some sort of brain attack, or an actual
incursion by time loops and a grand conspiracy headed by Santa Claus."

"The pitfall to avoid with this kind of story is assuming that just
because you're writing from a damaged, nonlinear, stream-of-
consciousness viewpoint, you can throw any random thing up there,
without concern for plot, theme, or consistency.  Tim doesn’t fall into
this trap; though his character’s maybe-delusions are random on the
surface, looking a bit deeper, they achieve the logic of madness,
elements of past tragedies smashed together and drawn out into a false
string of cause and effect."

"Well-done, especially for something that took three and a half hours
to write."

-----------<>-----------

Cardoid stalked down the empty corridor, bits of bot falling from its
hinged metal jaws, its claws flexing as it looked left and right.  Its
olfactory sensors twitched, analyzing the molecules that floated by.
It stepped into the bridge, and its crosshairs immediately focused on
the single figure there.

Kid Review held up one hand and waved, the other holding a hefty tome,
and Cardoid roared its rage.  He grimaced, but remained calm. "Cardoid!
Before you utterly destroy me, I have a message to convey!"

Cardoid tilted its head.  It nodded warily.

Kid Review placed the heavy book on the floor and carefully kicked it
across the room.  It slid to a stop about a foot in front of Cardoid.
"Page 482, about halfway down, definition five."

Cardoid picked up the dictionary and carefully thumbed through it.
"Information in response to an inquiry, experiment, et cetera..." Its
metal eyelids blinked. "Ohhhh!  Like, *that* kind of feedback!"

"Right, right, and you're supposed to destroy *audio* feedback..."

"Yeah!  Oh, I feel so *stupid*!"

"Oh, don't worry, anyone could have made the same mistake..."

"Ha ha, yeah, I suppose..."

And, laughing, the two of them went off to have lunch.

Author's Note: My first sustained story arc.  I'm still groping about
for things that go well with the review format, but I think this was a
fairly successful attempt.

Definition of feedback taken from the Collins English Dictionary,
Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition, via dictionary.com.

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, keep taping the circs!