META: Comic Book Tropes You Loathe

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 21:09:41 PDT 2010

On Apr 17, 5:59 pm, Andrew Perron <pwer... at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmmmmm.  Is it just using these tropes to trick the audience ("You see, it
> was a Superman robot the whole time!"), or is it any use of them?

I think when it's just used to trick the audience, though honestly
most stories where some kind of doppelganger frames the hero character
for some heinous crime are pretty damn cheap.  The Superman robots are
okay, firstly because there's no imposter-framing-him-for-X thing
going on and secondly because they're just so awesome they get a
pass.  (I guess the Kandorian look-alikes are okay too, because of the
pure silliness of there being Kryptonians who just happen to look like
Perry White, etc.)

> Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, never lend an unreliable narrator
> money.

And I hate Keyser Soze-ism with more passion than one would think
possible.