[LNH] Legion of Net.Heroes Volume 2 #29

Dave Van Domelen dvandom at eyrie.org
Mon Jun 29 14:41:19 PDT 2009

In article <BAY105-W494CB6E7D7DF4C9D0ED4DCA300 at phx.gbl>,
Saxon Brenton  <saxonbrenton at hotmail.com> wrote:
>     The Weed Wacker Vigilante is, of course, based on the Chainsaw
>Vigilante from the _Tick_ comics.  I've never read one of his appearances,
>so the WWV's speech patterns are probably nowhere near similar.

     Correct, no where near similar.  :)  The Chainsaw Vigilante is cursed to
be the last sane man in an insane world.  In the Tick universe, becoming a
superhero is one of the "normal" expressions of midlife crisis, so you have a
LOT of middle-aged men running around in costumes with dubious gadgets and
gimmicks.  CSV's mission in life is to convince these idiots to get a
sportscar or have an affair or something else that's NOT likely to put lives
in danger.  The merest touch of his chainsaw is enough to convince most
superheroes to hang up the tights and take up model railroading or whatnot.

     Of course, there's very few *real* powered individuals in the setting
during CSV's heyday, so the Tick comes as a bit of a surprise in that he's
chainsaw-proof.  But CSV would probably die of frothing at the mouth if he
landed in Net.ropolis, toxic (to him) levels of stupid and tights.

     In short, Chainsaw Vigilante is the least Tick-like character in the
Tick universe.  ;)

     Dave Van Domelen, wishes Zander Cannon had gotten to finish the first
arc of Chainsaw Vigilante, it ended on a cliffhanger.  (Also, I ripped off
that arc for an ASH issue.)