SW09: December 2009 #2: The Book of Ends

Andrew Perron pwerdna at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 15:17:07 PST 2009

On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 22:28:05 +0000 (UTC), Scott Eiler wrote:

> Thanks for the comments, Andrew.

No prob'm!

> I'll work on the detail.  Meanwhile, I've gotten the hyperlinks in to
> the web page.

Perhaps you could put them at the bottom of the RACC post?

>>>     * They've started training their colonists to interact with
>>> Earthlings. Their instructional video uses the robots to show all the
>>> ways people can die here. They called it "The Book of Ends". Someone
>>> got that video and put it on YouTube. It's a hit. (18 Dec)
>>
>> Like, why is it a hit?  At first, I thought it was because everyone was
>> looking at it because they were worried about the Trillions analyzing how
>> to kill humans, but when I reread, it mentioned at the top that it was
>> funny.
>
> It's so funny, people think it's a parody.

Ahhhh.  A sort of culture-difference-weirdness thing?

>>>     * For the moment, the Earth is closer to the Sun than usual.
>>> Everyone's celebrating Summer in December right now. Next year, we'll
>>> see what happens when June and December are both out near the orbit of
>>> Mars. We might need an old-Earth 365-day calendar alongside a new-
>>> Earth 520-day one. Mayas did that, so there's precedent. I sense a
>>> really big holiday coming along in 520 days... that is to say, June of
>>> old year 2011, New Year's Day of new year 2.
>>
>> So its orbit is still changing, or...?
>
> The orbit is still changed, but predictable.  However, it'll be good
> to see the predictions actually come true the first time.

Oh, wait, I see.  So half the year it's close to the sun, and the other
half it isn't.  Way more elongated.

>>> The rogue
>>> nation of Tuvalu also loaned their superhumans (mostly pirate
>>> vampires) to the world survival effort.
>>
>> Wait what.  More about pirate vampires, please. o.o
>
> http://www.eilertech.com/stories/2009/journal.htm#leo has much more.
> Arrrr.

Oooooo.  Interesting... >>c

>>>     * Adolf Hitler, having time-travelled himself the hard way, is now
>>> a city councilman in south Nashville, Tennessee. Reportedly he fits in
>>> nicely with the constituency there.
>>
>> How'd a German war criminal become a small-time American politician? @-@
>
> He came from a reality where he married a nice Jewish girl, grew a
> full mustache and beard, and overthrew Stalin.  People don't recognize
> him here.

Ahhhhh.  Good Twins are more fun than Evil ones, IMHO!

> ... Welcome to my 2009.  I considered tracking some of the plot
> threads from previous years, but there's quite enough going on in the
> story as is.

Still, some exposition really needs to be in there.  And it's not like it's
painfully long as it is...

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, linecount!