Review: End of Month Reviews #67 - July 2009 [spoilers]

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 2 20:45:43 PDT 2009

[REVIEW] End of Month Reviews #67 - July 2009 [spoilers]

Reviewed This Issue:
     Godling #14  [Misc]
     Revengers #1  [Contest]  {Contest #2}
     Thunderclap #15  [Pincity]

Also posted:
     High Concept Challenge #1  [Contest][Misc]  {Contest #1}

     The second High Concept contest is currently running, which combines
two concepts from the joint winners of contest 1.  Details of the
concepts are 'superhumans worrying about their superhuman offspring'
[ http://lists.eyrie.org/pipermail/racc/2009-July/005497.html ]
and 'intelligent (non-anthropomorphic) animals'
[ http://lists.eyrie.org/pipermail/racc/2009-July/005498.html ].  The
second contest is running for three weeks starting from the receipt of
both concepts, so by my calculation entries for this second round should
be in by the 10th of August.
     Spoilers below:

==

Godling# 14
'Maneater!'
A Miscellaneous [Misc] series
by Jochem Vandersteen

     Well, that was an unexpected death.
     To summarise, at the trial Marcus Walker presents his evidence that
Amanda Reece is a serial litigator and thereby successfully defends
Professor Alexander against her allegations of sexual assault.  At the
congratulatory party afterwards Ms Reece shows up, has a brief rant, and
shoots Walker, killing him.  The final scene depicts Godling requesting
from the Greek gods permission to raise Mr Walker from the dead and being denied.
     This episode largely answers the long running question - implicit
rather than explicit - of just how unhinged Amanda Reece is.  As in, what
is the balance between her anger and her cunning in carrying out her
agenda of revenge against men?  The answer seems to be that anger
outweighs cunning (and with it, common sense) by a large amount.  Her
reaction here indicates that it hadn't occurred to her that repeatedly
using the same method in the courts would leave a paper trail and might
attract attention.  She seems to have simply stumbled onto a tactic that
worked and used it mechanically without trying to anticipate possible
complications and countermeasures.  Her shooting attack on Marcus Walker
in public is also an indication of someone whose obsessiveness means that
she isn't good at developing alternate plans; even her frustration and
rage from her defeat in court can't fully explain away her loss of
impulse control as a temporary aberration.
      (Incidentally, I say 'largely answers' because this is, after all,
a superhero genre story, and there is always the remote possibility that
Ms Reece may go even more insane - and since her gambit of revenge
through the courts has failed, become a costumed villain with a M.O.
for attacking socially well-connected men directly.  However, given the
way she attacks Marcus Walker I suspect that's rather unlikely.)
     The story is direct and to the point.  This is fine; the _Godling_
stories are usually like that.  However for some reason I keep returning
to the final scene with the gut feeling that it's a bit rushed, but I'm
not entirely sure why.  It's not something so crude as being too short in
terms of word count.  On the other hand, the scene seems to have all the
necessary elements of plot and characterisation needed to make it coherent
for the reader: Godling thinks that Marcus Walker's death is unjust and
wants to resurrect him, the gods say no and point out the problems caused
the last time he tried that sort of thing, Godling gets angry but
eventually concedes the point.
     I dunno, maybe I'm worrying about something artsty-farsty like the
notion that all the scenes in the story are short, but for the most part
they're action scenes and they work by being short and therefore having
a rapid-fire delivery, while by contrast the final scene is about dwelling
on the emotional consequences which conceptually needs to drawn out a bit
longer for the character (and the reader) to stew on.  The problem with
this later analysis of the scene is that a longer write up would probably
put it at odds with the style of the rest of the story and run the risk
of looking like padding.  Anyway, considering how long this has been
bugging me without a solution presenting itself, I'll simply chalk it
up to something nebulous and leave it at that.

Revengers #1
'Generations'
A [Contest] posting
by Martin Phipps

     Before we begin, Anal-Retentive Archive Kid wants to point out that
this story is labelled as [Contest] and it definitely deals with the two
notions of the second High Concept contest.  That said, the way the themes
are treated, as well as the presence of both Pepperton and Professor
Javier, also indicate that it's set in the Superfreaks imprint.  So there you go.
     Captain Amazing is from a family with several generations of
superheroes, so he's a bit concerned that his son John apparently has no
powers.  However, events reveal that John can talk to animals.  Not through
any identifiably 'superpowered' manner, such as by psionic means, but
rather through paying attention to the tones and body language that they
use to express themselves.
     Not that the mechanics of talking to animals is the main point.  The
main point is that Captain Amazing has to deal with the notion that even
if his son has an atypical ability, John might not want to dress in a
colourful costume and fight crime - and as it turns out he takes up a
career as a court translator, dresses up in a suit and tie, and fights
crime.  Looked at from this angle, it's a treatment of the old theme of
intergenerational conflict as parents react with dismay as the children
don't carry on with the family business - albeit a treatment with costumed
superhero trappings.
     Looked at from another angle this story is also thematically
consistent with other Superfreaks stories, particularly the original
_Superfreaks_ series.  Traditionally superhero stories have tended to
have the mundane world and the superhero world largely separate, but when
they (frequently) come into contact it is treated as an unprecedented
occurrence where the mundane world reels in fear and confusion as property
damage occurs.  Superfreaks, of course, has inverted that to show the
mundane world trying to deal with the super world by establishing legal
precedents and case law, and generally bringing order from chaos.  I'm
sure I've mentioned this before, but it's a very science fiction-ey
approach in a genre (four-colour superheroes) that by its nature is
usually presented in a fantasy format.
     Finally, there's the way that unusual abilities are presented as
non-binary.  As in, John's multi-lingualism is explicitly not a
'superpower’ as far as the experts can determine.  But it's still
unusual enough that, typically for legal stories set in Superfreaks,
there is some controversy about it being used in court.  In it's way
that's also quite normal for many superhero stories, since each
character is an individual with specific powers and origins and
costumes, and you don't see Stark Industries mass producing defensive
armour for the Avengers or lots of heroes making use of Pym particles.
And it acts as an underlying counter current for the Superfreaks attempts
to legally categorise the superhuman.  Ignore for a second the habit of
heroes and villains choosing gaudy individual costumes; how easy would it
be for the law to deal with those powers and phenomenon which explicitly
violate testable physical laws or otherwise work outside of the framework
of observable reality?
     Hmm.  Looking at the above list of themes, one thing that strikes
me is how far my random babblings have wandered from the twinned contest
themes of the second challenge.  So I'll just finish by making the
observation that this story doesn't use the concepts of 'superhumans
worrying about their children' and 'intelligent animals' equally.  This
is neither a good thing or a bad thing.  Considering that different stories
have different structural needs, it's actually reasonable enough that some
concepts will receive different levels of emphasis.  So, just as a matter
of record, I will note that 'Generations' makes strong use of the
'superhumans worrying about their children' theme, but uses 'intelligent
animals' as a minor trapping.

Thunderclap #15
'Revolution Part III: Martyrs'
A Pinnacle City [Pincity] series
by Rick Hindle

     The story picks up from the showdown cliffhanger of last issue.  The
immediately accounted for heroes have all met in the Montecaivo castle.
Nakata has been revealed to be a double agent and has betrayed them to
General Echevarria, who himself has been revealed to be the American
Ranger's old foe Zorstorer.
     Some tense banter occurs between the Ranger and Zorstorer as they
bicker over some of their shared back history, most particularly the loss
of Zorstorer's eye, and then the 'immediately accounted for' that I
mentioned above becomes relevant, as another group of heroes from the
Protectors who have been kept as mission backup arrive to play cavalry
and start the fight scene.  Lest their arrival be interpreted as a
deus ex machina, this group have been mentioned before in #14 as 'BSA
shocktroops', and we simply haven't been following them in the narrative.
It's a nice touch to let their presence be foreshadowed but kept away from
the forefront of the reader's attention, so as to help build tension amid
all the betrayals and villain revelations.  Actually, other nice touches
are little things in Thunderclap's reactions as a young man: as he watches
and is impressed by the teamwork of the Protectors he is also able to
throw in that Solstice Powers "is hot", or the Star Wars reference.
     In the melee the brothers Ace and the Playboy fight each other,
seemingly to their mutual destruction.  There's another bit of back
history (presented as narration rather than dialogue) for why these two
fight, and perhaps more importantly fight without resorting to immediately
lethal force.  And headdeskingly (that's a word I just made up, because
it's a more evocative verb than 'frustratingly') although Thunderclap
makes good his primary mission objective to rescue Suzie and remove her
from danger, she counters that she's a trained Bureau of Superhuman
affairs agent and insists that he return her to the fight so that she
can play her part in the combat - whereupon it turns out her part is the
narratively important task of being captured by the bad guys.  Anyway,
that brings us to the concluding cliffhanger, with the heroes either shot,
captured, missing in action, or in the case of Thunderclap himself being
beaten into unconsciousness by goons.  Or is it?  There are a number of
characters from the Protectors who aren't accounted for in the final
melee.  Maybe Zorstorer has brought in enough goons to overwhelm them as
well, or alternatively it could be that Rick has carefully chosen which
members of the cast to focus on so as to make it look as though a general
rout is happening, when actually the problems depicted may in fact only
be in one tense but unrepresentative area.  We shall have to wait and see.

----------
Saxon Brenton   University of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
     saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
The Eyrie Archives of Russ Allbery which collect the online superhero
fiction of the rec.arts.comics.creative newsgroup and its sibling group
Superguy can be found at:
     http://archives.eyrie.org/racc/       or
     http://lists.eyrie.org/pipermail/racc/
        http://archives.eyrie.org/superguy/   or
        http://lists.eyrie.org/pipermail/superguy/

View photos of singles in your area Click Here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fdating%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fsearch%2Fsearch%2Easpx%3Fexec%3Dgo%26tp%3Dq%26gc%3D2%26tr%3D1%26lage%3D18%26uage%3D55%26cl%3D14%26sl%3D0%26dist%3D50%26po%3D1%26do%3D2%26trackingid%3D1046138%26r2s%3D1&_tw3166090&_r=Hotmail_Endtext&_m=EXT