8FOLD/META: Sex and Language in Jolt City # 8

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 15:22:01 PDT 2007

On May 18, 8:11 am, Martin Phipps <martinphip... at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The whole issue of the "floaters" reminds me of current episodes of
> Smallville.  (I'm downloading the latest episode now and my internet
> connection is slow so it should arrive tomorrow.  @#$%!)  Last week's
> episode had Lex literally creating an army of Super Soldiers from
> Kryptonian DNA.  I suspect a similar plotline might be used in the
> next season of Heroes.  (The company run by Linderman may have enough
> data on the heroes that it could perhaps now endow ordinary people
> with their powers.)  It is also reminiscent of recent seasons of CSI:
> Miami in which the Columbian drug lords are actively going after
> Lieutenant Crane and he ends up having to utter the line "Don't make
> me do this!" and then shooting somebody every episode.  Based on the
> example of network television, I would say that the Green Knight is in
> a lot of trouble.

I would concur, and more on that next issue.

> Well, as of a third of the way through the issue Martin Rock has not -
> as Clinton would say- had sexual relations with Dani.

My definition differs from that of the former President. :-)

>  Personally, I
> think the word "penis" would have been fine in what I've read so far.
> (When I hear the words "cock" and "pussy" I personally tend to
> envision a rooster and a kitty.  Really.)

Well, my basic litmus test was, would someone in a sexual act sound
convincing if they used a particular type of language?  And much as I
try, I can't imagine someone _seriously_ saying, "Oh baby, please
insert your penis into my vagina."  It lacks the guttural impact and
immediacy of the language I used.

==Tom