LNH: 58.5#2 (for real)

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 01:06:01 PDT 2007

There you go... it's insane... but for future reference, kids, you don't
want to have ANY non-ascii characters :-) specially if you use equal
signs for your section breaks.

Dr. Stomper steps in:

"The reason this happens is that, for hysterical raisins, Usenet operates
on a 7-bit protocol.  So anything non-ascii needs to be somehow encoded.
The encoding of choice for text is called 'quoted-printable'; it
basically encodes 'special' characters using an equal sign, and then the
hex code for the character.  So "e with acute accent", which Lalo used
for the correct spelling of the word "nee", in the bonus feature, becomes
'=E9', while a single equal sign becomes '=3D'.

"Where this becomes a problem is; after this first pass, very long lines
are broken at some reasonable width, and this is marked by preceding the
line break with a single equal sign -- for the programmer minds, '=\n'.

"Now, count with me.  2 spaces.  29 equal signs.  One dash.  29 equal
signs.  61 characters.  This encodes to a total of 179 columns, if the
spaces are *not* encoded as '=20', or 185 if they are.  It will be broken
3 times, each but the last ending with a '=' sign.

"Bear in mind though, *after* decoding, the whole thing *still* ends with
an '=' sign.  So if for some reason, the quoted-printable decoder in the
moderation bot happens to be broken...  you can see where this is going,
right?  The news->mail gateway seems to have considered all those equal
signs just a line-break artifact of the encoding; while the moderation
bot... probably crashed?"

quoted-printably-yours,
                                               Lalo Martins
                           -----