LNH: Limp-Asparagus Lad #58

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 29 17:10:28 PST 2007

On Jan 29, 7:06 pm, "Saxon Brenton" <saxonbren... at hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 29 Jan 2007 Tom Russell <milos_par... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
> Yay.  A Tom Russell review.  <glows with inner contentment>  Tom, of
> course, puts considerably more effort into the mechanics of reviewing
> where stories are working or not working than I do, and as such they
> are less frequent because of the craft and length.  So everybody
> remember to treasure them when they arrive.

Well, thanks, Saxon.  I treasure your reviews, too, and for a few
different reasons:

1. Your reviews make me feel appreciated, and stave off the "writing-
to-the-void" effect that is so troubling.

2. You seem to "get" what I'm doing most of the time, and it's a joy
to see you pick up on things that I'm trying to do.

3. You point out things about the characters and stories that I never
would have thought of myself.

Granted, this could be said for Martin's, and now young Mitchell's,
reviews as well.  And I greatly treasure comments from all three.  And
from anyone who wishes to comment, for that matter (yes, I'm looking
at you, the seventy-eight subscribers reading this on Google Groups.
Don't be shy!).

>You are correct as far as the Care Bear Stare is being performed *by*
> Care Bears.  Within the context of their show the Countdown leading to
> the Stare is a part of their schtick and is as rigidly structured and
> predictable as, say, the transformation sequences in Magic Girl anime
> like Sailor Moon.  You know it's going to happen, and if the aficionados
> didn't get to see it they'd probably be disappointed.
>
> With regards to superheroes it means something slightly different: Care
> Bear Stares, or plans, or assaults, or whatever, are an often derogatory
> way of describing when the heroes combine their willpowers,

Ahhh.  Learn something new every day. :- )

> (Although the existence of the phrase is happenstance.  I read a while
> ago a lovely quote by Carl Barks about his design philosophy for the city
> of Duckburg, which was surrounded by all types of terrain and climates
> to accommodate whatever Duck stories he might want to tell.

Show of hands, how many Duck fans are there on RACC?  It can't just be
me and Saxon... can it...?

Hmm...

Maybe 8FOLD needs some talking animals...

> Anyway, thank you for the review.

Thanks for the story.

> ---
> Saxon Brenton   Uni of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
>    saxon.bren... at uts.edu.au   saxonbren... at hotmail.com

==Tom