LNH: Alt.stralian Yarns #1: On the Matter of Locks

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 17 13:51:38 PDT 2006

Tim Munn wrote:

> I know what this means:
> > > Meanwhile, the missus was chuckin' a ninny.
> > >
> > > I... I have no idea what that means. :-)
> >
> > Like Saxon said, a hysterical fit. The word 'ninny' is usually used to
> > refer to one of an idiotic disposition, and to 'chuck a ninny' is to
> > lose one's sensabilities, unto a ninny.
> >
> (It's only a wee-bit strange that me and Tom live in the same state
> [Michigan] but only one of us knows this meaning.  Probably due to our
> geographical differences within the state.)

Possibly.  At the same time, I think we're both trolls [i.e., people
who live in the lower peninsula of Michigan] and so I don't think our
slang would differ all that much.

> [American Slang Equivalent used]:
> Chuck can mean throw; I've also heard it used much like upchuck (vomit)
> without the up

I understood the chuck part.

> Ninny usually means the same as Sissy (at least in the context I've
> heard it); a 'momma's boy', 'nerd/geek/dork' or every-so-often
> 'homosexual' (more often associated with the second).

I've heard the word "ninny" used many times, but only by racist
relatives in reference to black children.  I didn't think that's what
Mitchell meant, though, so I thought it best to inquire. :-)

==Tom