BP: Villanelle Villains #1

Tim Munn drtimphd at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 08:55:15 PDT 2006

Jesse Willey wrote:
>   The ending shouldn't come as much of surprise.  Even
> before the days of Dylan Thomas the villanelle has
> been used almost exclusively for subjects like death,
> suicide and stuff like that.   While most of the
> 'confessional' poets perferred just (particularly
> Plath) were fond of freeverse they were all fond of
> the villanelle.

The villanelle doesn't have to be all doom and gloom (desptie my own
ending to this issue).  I think we all know that.  But that is just
what the villanelle has become.  Gloom and doom.  I'm experimenting
here; Belle's fate was quite gloomy, but there might be some villains
fate's that fall on the oppostie end of the spectrum.  Quite sunny.  It
all falls on how far I can take my experiments with the villanelle.
Whether this first test is a failure, or the answer that Villanelle
Villains is heading for, a fair-bit of a success.  The villanelle has
grown on me, especially seeing the comments it has generated.

:) :) :)

Tim