[NNTP] Tr: Last Call: draft-elie-nntp-list-additions (Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) Additions to LIST Command) to Proposed Standard

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun Aug 8 05:19:51 PDT 2010

Hi all,

>> Thanks for your input on that subject.
>> After having seen with Alexey, we're about to reword the paragraph
>> as follows:
>>
>>      Similarly, it is not recommended to use a "%s" pattern rule for
>>      the moderation submission template for two moderated newsgroups
>>      whose names differ only by the case of their characters, because
>>      email systems are frequently treating left-hand-side of email
>>      addresses as case-sensitive.
>
> I would replace "are frequently treating" with "frequently treat the".

I have just released a -04 version which takes into account Russ' comment.
Thanks again for it.
I hope it is now fine.
    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-elie-nntp-list-additions/
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-elie-nntp-list-additions-04.txt

Final wording:

      Similarly, it is not recommended to use a "%s" pattern rule for
      the moderation submission template for two moderated newsgroups
      whose names differ only by the case of their characters, because
      e-mail systems frequently treat the left-hand-side of e-mail
      addresses as case-sensitive.  See also Section 3.1.4 of [RFC5536]
      and Section 7.2 of [I-D.ietf-usefor-useage] for the syntax of a
      newsgroup name.

Another thing I improved is an example (with the new wildmat syntax
of RFC 3977).

I changed
  [C] LIST COUNTS comp.*,misc.*
  [C] LIST COUNTS *.tea,misc.*,!local.*
so that we could have somewhere an example of a negated wildmat.
I adapted the answer, of course.

I mention that LIST MODERATORS is based upon "addr-spec" (Section 3.4.1
of [RFC5322]) for the mail address.  That is to say the address only,
enclosed with brackets.

Changes from -03

   o  This document is no longer an independent submission.  It is now
      sponsored by an Area Director, Alexey Melnikov.  Many thanks to
      him!

   o  Modify the note about the "%s" pattern rule for the moderation
      submission template for two moderated newsgroups whose names
      differ only by the case of their characters:  mention the reason
      and the fact that it is only a recommendation.

   o  Mention that TAB characters are not valid separators for the LIST
      COUNTS command.

   o  Add an example of wildmat preceded by "!".

   o  Re-work the BNF syntax for "newsgroup-alias" because it could be a
      little confusing.  Thanks to Gen-ART for the remark during Last
      Call.

   o  Add a MIME-Version:  header field in the examples of postings.
      They now comply with [RFC5536].

   o  Clarify what is expected from IANA (add a reference to this
      document for the LIST NNTP extension).

   o  Use "news.example.com" instead of "news.server.com" in an Xref:
      header field so as to have a compliant FQDN.

   o  Use the right boilerplate for [RFC2119].

   o  Add a reference to [RFC5322] for the submission template.

In case you see other nits, do not hesitate to tell me.
Have a nice week,

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Contra factum non datur argumentum. »