[NNTP] Additions to LIST commands

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Tue Nov 17 12:42:44 PST 2009

Hu Antti-Juhani,

>    "j"  Articles are filed under the "junk" newsgroup.
>
> Is there any reason to constrain the implementation so much?

I just documented what INN has always done.
Diablo and C News, to cite only them, do not use "j".

> It seems to me
> that "j" could easily be implemented as "accept posts but do not file them",
> without the use of, or existence of, a "junk" newsgroup.   Would that break
> existing clients, or common usage?

So your suggestion is to decorrelate "j" with the existence of anything
else?  I believe it is fine to do that (and what the post become is
an implementation issue -- either it is stored nowhere or somewhere,
like the junk newsgroup).

--
Julien ÉLIE

« I don't know if it's what you want, but it's what you get. » (Larry Wall)