[NNTP] Additions to LIST commands

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 17 11:57:18 PST 2009

Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <antti-juhani at kaijanaho.fi> writes:
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 08:12:27PM +0100, Julien ÉLIE wrote:

>> Comments are welcome!

>     "j"  Articles are filed under the "junk" newsgroup.

> Is there any reason to constrain the implementation so much?  It seems to me
> that "j" could easily be implemented as "accept posts but do not file them",
> without the use of, or existence of, a "junk" newsgroup.   Would that break
> existing clients, or common usage?

The junk group is sometimes readable and sometimes not.  There is the
problem that if you want it to be readable, j currently tells the client
where the article can be found, whereas if it's not filed at all or in
some other newsgroup, the client can't find it that way.  But I think the
idea of reading the junk group via a regular GROUP junk command is a bit
dubious.  I'm not sure how many people would do that.

Currently in the INN implementation, j is roughly equivalent to =junk.