[NNTP] RE: Last Call: 'Network News Transfer Protocol' to Proposed Standard

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu May 26 09:41:57 PDT 2005

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

> Making a quick scan, it contains the following:

> CHECK                - in streaming document
> MODE STREAM          - in streaming document
> TAKETHIS             - in streaming document
> XREPLIC              - deprecated as unnecessary
> LIST ACTIVE          - in core document
> LIST ACTIVE.TIMES    - in core document
> LIST DISTRIBUTIONS   - no equivalent
> LIST DISTRIB.PATS    - in core document
> LIST NEWSGROUPS      - in core document
> LIST OVERVIEW.FMT    - in core document
> LIST SUBSCRIPTIONS   - no equivalent
> LISTGROUP            - in core document
> MODE READER          - in core document
> XGTITLE              - deprecated in favour of LIST NEWSGROUPS
> XHDR                 - replaced by HDR in core document
> XINDEX               - deprecated in favour of OVER (?)
> XOVER                - replaced by OVER in core document
> XPAT                 - no equivalent
> XPATH                - deprecated as not useful
> XROVER               - deprecated in favour of HDR (?)
> XTHREAD              - deprecated in favour of OVER (?)
> AUTHINFO USER        - in authinfo document
> AUTHINFO PASS        - in authinfo document
> AUTHINFO SIMPLE      - deprecated in favour of AUTHINFO SASL
> AUTHINFO GENERIC     - replaced by AUTHINFO SASL in authinfo document
> DATE                 - in core document

> Do people think this is correct?

Looks right to me, including the ones marked with a question mark.

> It would seem to me that the best approach is:
> * core, authinfo, streaming all "update 2980";
> * a future work item is 2980bis, giving the contents of the above table
>   (as corrected) plus specifications for the three remaining commands
>   and any others we are/become aware of.

Hm, yeah, that makes sense to me and would clear up the situation.  And
actually, if we do 2980bis, we should consider whether to include various
other extensions seen in practice (LIST MOTD and XBATCH are the main ones
that come to mind).  Assuming, that is, that no one writes them up for
standards track (I would assume that 2980bis would still be
informational).