[NNTP] STREAMING diffs

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Jun 9 19:11:24 PDT 2005

On Jun 9, 2005, at 2:24 PM, Ken Murchison wrote:

>       According to the NNTP specification [NNTP], a peer uses the IHAVE
>       command to query whether a server wants a particular article.
>       Because the IHAVE command cannot be pipelined, the need to stop
> and
>       wait for the remote end's response greatly restricts the
> throughput
>       that can be achieved.

> +     The ad-hoc CHECK and TAKETHIS commands, documented in
> +     [NNTP-COMMON], provide an alternative method of peer-to-peer
> +     article transfer which permits a more effective use of network
> +     bandwidth.  Due to their ubiquity they are formalized in this
> +     specification.
> +
> +     The ad-hoc MODE STREAM command, also documented in [NNTP-COMMON],
> +     is deprecated by this specification, but due to its ubiquity is
> +     documented here for backwards compatibility.

I think this makes all the right points.  A little tweaking...

      The ad-hoc CHECK and TAKETHIS commands, originally documented in
      [NNTP-COMMON], provide an alternative method of peer-to-peer
      article transfer that permits a more effective use of network
      bandwidth.  Due to their proven usefulness and wide deployment,
      they are formalized in this specification.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org