[NNTP] draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-05 & draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-03

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Oct 5 01:23:55 PDT 2004

Ken Murchison said:
> Just sent these two drafts which hopefully include all issues/comments
> up to Clive's/Jeff's from this morning.  Changes from the previous
> versions are listed in Sections 0.
>
> http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-authinfo-05.txt
> http://www.oceana.com/ftp/drafts/draft-ietf-nntpext-tls-nntp-03.txt

Just going through these now. Comments on the latter sent separately.

I've just realized there's a potential deadlock: what stops a server giving
483 to AUTHINFO and 480 to STARTTLS? Do we want to forbid the latter
(particularly since you can't use STARTTLS after authentication), or do we
want to leave this in the "too dumb to worry about" pile?

In authinfo-05, section 2.2, para 5 (of 7) I don't see the point of the
last sentence and in particular the SHOULD. See the similar comment on the
TLS document for details.

I still think the last paragraph of 2.2 does things wrong; I've given
my preference several times, so I won't repeat it again.

Apart from this, no comments. Good job.