[NNTP] LIST EXTENSIONS (again)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 9 18:51:33 PST 2004

Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

> Does anyone know if the Diablo design has the same dependency on MODE
> READER as INN?  Andrew may have covered this, but I don't recall what he
> said.

Andrew said that Diablo does not require MODE READER.  Nothing about
Diablo's architecture should require it, since they don't support the
configuration that INN supports at all.

> What about this heuristic for INN?  AFAIK, most sites have a list of
> peers that they are willing to accept an NNTP feed from.  When innd
> accepts a connection, it checks the remote hostname/ip against its table
> and if it finds a match, it stays in transit mode.  If it doesn't find a
> match, it automatically switches to reader mode (nnrpd).  I would
> imagine that a feeding host wouldn't also have reading clients
> originating from it.

INN already does this.  This is the reason why so few people encounter
this problem; you have to have both transit and reader access from the
same host.