[NNTP] Re: NNTP working group status

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Tue Nov 9 18:23:11 PST 2004

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Now, in the interests of full disclosure, please note that I maintain a
> free news server (INN) which is essentially the only software package that
> requires MODE READER at present.  I didn't add it, don't particularly like
> it, and configure my own servers to not require it, but there is certainly
> the possibility of bias in my own feelings on the subject.  I'm
> uncomfortable making a working group chair decision on this because of
> that, and I want to make sure Scott knows about that and also say that I'm
> quite happy for some third party to make the decision about whether to
> reopen discussion of or remove MODE READER from the NNTP standard, and
> I'll happily abide by the decision of that person.

I admit that this is twisting the knife (I really do owe you that
sixpack), but there *is* a way that you can make the decision for the
entire working group without anyone criticizing your actions.

That would be if you were to declare that the NNTPv2 version of INN will
never require MODE READER no matter how it is configured.  This would
remove the need for MODE READER, and move it into the "compatibility with
pre-NNTPv2 servers" document.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.