[NNTP] Re: MODE READER

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Nov 2 07:44:24 PST 2004

Mark Crispin said:
>> As far as MODE READER is concerned, I personally agree with you. However,
>> server implementers will tell you otherwise. If you want to argue for this
>> change, please do so and let's see what happens.
> It certainly can be argued that this is a server internal detail which
> should not burden the protocol.  It also adds an additional RTT (6 by my
> count).
[...]

Again, I'm in complete sympathy.

I note that no server authors have chipped in here (or I missed them), but
my memory is that, at the time we first discussed this, they were adamant
that it was necessary.

Russ, where do we go from here?

> Better would be something like the following, which uses an IMAP-like
> mechanism to carry capabilities in responses, and flushes MODE READER:
>
> 	S: 200 [STARTTLS] NNTP server, negotiate TLS now

I'm still thinking on this. As I said before, it isn't compatible with NNTP
as currently specified but that's not irretrievable.